“My favorite 4 star in downtown”
Review of Ambassador Chicago

Ambassador Chicago
Ranked #101 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have stayed at 5 other 4 stars downtown recently and this is by far my favorite! I booked my hotel through name your own price on Priceline. When I got to the hotel I was given a king superior room with the option to upgrade to a deluxe king, which I did. The hotel room was great! The room was a decent size for Chicago standards. The bathroom was large and there even was a walk in closet. I loved the bedding especially the pillows they were so comfortable! I think a nice amenity of the hotel is the free wi-fi, it is very common to be charged for wi-fi at other downtown Chicago hotels. The hotel also offers use of iPads and iPods and I took advantage of using a iPad for my stay, what a cool feature! I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Chicago. Great location, friendly staff, chic atmosphere, and comfortable rooms! I have stayed at many different hotels in Chicago but have never taken the time to write a review, this hotel was too good to not take the time to write a review. I loved it!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laurel W
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

We are happy to hear that we were able to make you a fan of PUBLIC during your recent stay and hope to see you again when you next return to Chicago! Thank you for providing us with such great feedback!

Peter Walterspiel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I'm still laying in the awful, awful bed here. This is the most uncomfortable bed I've ever "slept" in-I think i got 3 hours of sleep, maybe. I may has well slept on the floor! The room is very small, as is the bathroom; I expect this staying downtown Chicago. Visually the room is cool-very modern and clean. I will also say the service has been great-the pillows and blanket are down, and I'm allergic so
I called the desk and within 20 minutes I had new pillows and a new comforter. So kudos to the staff for being helpful. However, the bed ruins the whole thing. They obviously spent money remodeling the place-but maybe instead of buying sheepskin throws for the desk chair, they should have bought more comfortable beds. Another weird thing-there's no top sheet on the bed! So you're just laying on a flat sheet (not fitted!), and then the blanket. Weird. I'd say the best part of this room is the framed pictures of the cows. My advice-this hotel is not worth it for the money. Crazy expensive for a crazy uncomfortable evening.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank jorcat

It was upsetting to read that you were unable to enjoy your stay at PUBLIC this past weekend. Since opening, we have received mixed reviews about our current mattresses and because of this, we are actively looking into alternatives. If you do decide to make a return visit, please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

We were very happy with this hotel. We are transplanted Long Island, NYers in Ft. Wayne, IN for work. We needed a "city and Water/Lake Michigan fix"...We took a last minute 4-day trip to Chicago this past wknd. We won a $90 bid on priceline for this hotel in the Gold Coast area of Chicago(rooms usually $215-$575/nt!). Parking was $45/nt, but you can take your vehicle out as many times as needed and return with no hassle--valet on top of it and very friendly. Not knowing if this was a good location for us as we wanted to be near Michigan Ave to shop etc. It wound up being an AMAZING hotel experience! It's very contemporary and beautiful. It def is a hotel for younger beautiful people who like to have drinks and listen to good music at night and mingle in the Pump Room, but we stayed on the 10th floor and never heard any noise and our rooms were spacious and comfortable. On the wknds, they offer free breakfast for kids(housemade-yogurt-fruit smoothies, cereal, fruit and housemade hot donuts) and free Kid Movies in the sofa lounge on Sat and Sun--what a nice surprise for us and them! Everyone that works there is professional friendly and not to mention VERY attractive--I guess the hotel wants to attract more young people who look like models to stay there?! :) None the less, this hotel gets our vote for a future stay, it is down the street from the beach on Lake Michigan, walking distance to all of Michigan Ave, in a historic gorgious architectural area and had a playground down the street for our kids to play on...we loved this hotel. Keep in mind, it is upper scale, dressing appropriately (business casual) fares well, but don't let that keep you from staying there. You will love it, especially if you got it for the price we did. ;)

Room Tip: The first night we stayed in a double queen room on the 11th floor (great sunny views), but the nex...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HeidiC333
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

We are happy to hear you were able to get your "city and water fix" while visiting us at PUBLIC Chicago. It was our pleasure to host you and your family as our guests and enjoyed reading your terrific feedback. Thank you for sharing!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Traveled to Chicago for business/pleasure by myself. I won a 4 night stay on priceline for a very low rate. Initially I was placed in a standard queen room which was small, but adequate. However, the room was located next to the elevator shaft and the sound bothered me. They upgraded me without issue to a standard king which was much bigger. The room was clean, spacious, and very comfortable. The hotel was very trendy with constant action in the local bar/restaurant, lobby, and lounge area. The location worked very well for me. It was near the rail, a 3 minute walk from MIchigan, and next to the Lake-> I had a couple of nice runs on the lakefront. I had friends all over town and had no issue meeting people in diferent neighborhoods given the central location. I had no complaints and would have been satisfied even had I not pricelined it.

Room Tip: You will be unsatisfied by the standard queen room, however, the next level up-standard king was gre...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

We were excited to read that were capable of exceeding your expectations during your recent stay at PUBLIC! We are happy that not only the price, but our location played a great role in making your stay great. Thank you for the great feedback!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Accommodations were solid, well appointed. The most interesting thing about it is the now rehabbed former "Pump Room" and the companion "Library." It is a true chick magnet.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for the great feedback! It was our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

PUBLIC is one of those places where you feel like you're some kind of celebrity. Very stylish, cool but very efficient staff and great facilities. It's in a great location central to bars and clubs, but close to the lake and in a beautiful residential area. If you want to stay in the place where they make you feel good-looking and famous (despite the fact that you're average looking and middle class) stay at PUBLIC!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

It is our goal to make each of our guests feel like a VIP while staying PUBLIC. Thank you for sharing such great feedback and for choosing to stay PUBLIC on your last visit to Chicago. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel is modern, trendy, and packed full of people. I was wearing designer jeans and a collar shirt and felt out of place while registering for my room.

Room were small but clean and trendy, bathroom was large, would definitly recomend this hotel again. The best bid I ever one for quality/value.

There is underground parking 1 block away for about $30, if you park at the hotel it is about $15 more. Wireless Internet was free as well, although I did have some difficulties connecting with my tablet

Room Tip: Bid for it
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CANUCK96

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay at PUBLIC. We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your visit! We hope we have the opportunity to host you as our guest on your next trip to the Windy City!