We were staying @ Public for a weekend before Christmas for some shopping without our kids.
The hotel is newly renovated, the lobby is really impressive and at the time was decorated with a huge Xmas tree. The bar and the lounge are really gorgeous, with comfy sofa, loungers in front of a cracking fireplace and cool bar area always full of cool people. The restaurant, Pump Room is stunning decorated, service is impeccable and food is light, simple and delicious.
I would say the common areas are the reason why you should choose this hotel. We had great breakfast time every morning in the lounge eating yummy "pain au chocolat" and drinking super cappuccinos ( really Italian style!! Compliments to the guys at the bar, I only had better in Milano's cafe Cova) while reading magazine or simply enjoying looking at the fire and great evening with lounge music and drinks before going out for dinner. The hotel bar and lobby are a venue themselves you don't have even to go out and look for something else as they are packed with a beautiful crowd!
The hotel is a really cool choice but.. The rooms are quite small, we booked a deluxe room and were quite disappointed for the size and the decor. Previous we stayed at the Trump Hotel and I must admit is difficult to bet concerning room size, quality of the furniture and atmosphere. The rooms at Public are sadly just old rooms with a "touch-up". They are all white, looking also modern with new bed linen, new flat screen TV, new side boards and desk, modern lamp, carpet on the floor is also new but... There are stunning old light-switch /socket that totally clash with the new interior, carpet looks like just temporally placed (seemed not glued with all the cables passing under and over) and of a very low quality, air conditioning/heating is extremely noisy and looks as old as was the Ambassador West (former name of Public Hotel) door, walls and wardrobe are just painted white over (under still the old Ambassador stuff) and bathroom is tiny and definitely very poor in style! No bathrobe, no slippers, no quality toiletry product. The sensation we had is that money of renovation were just lacking at the room level and things were arranged to be looking as best as possible with the minimum investment possible! Nothing to do with keeping the "old spirit" because those things have nothing to do with history are just poor details that may not appear to everybody but were definitely disturbing our general feeling about the hotel. Overall we would recommend Public Hotel for young couple, friends looking for a cool hang-out, good location (easy walking everywhere especially to the stylish Rush street and neighborhood) we would go back most probably for another weekend of shopping (with low budget on hotel despite the prices are not so low!) but we would not choose it as comfortable hotel for a family trip with our kids.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a rich history rooted in Chicago’s Jazz Age, Ambassador Chicago is the city’s original boutique hotel dating back to 1926. Located in the heart of the Gold Coast, the iconic property has hosted the who’s who of the 20th and 21st centuries having served as a local beacon to countless celebrities. Uniquely individual, Ambassador Chicago is nestled among graceful mansions in a quiet, gilded neighborhood tucked into the center of the Windy City offering incredible views of Lake Michigan with easy access to Chicago’s main shopping boulevard, Michigan Avenue. With 285 spacious guestrooms, a 24-hour fitness center, two restaurants, thoughtful programming and amenities curated by local artisans and chefs, Ambassador Chicago maintains its distinct and legendary character while offering guests an authentic Chicago experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone and Cancelon so you can book your Ambassador Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Public Chicago Hotel Chicago
- Ambassador East Hotel Chicago
- Hotel Ambassador East
- Ambassador East Chicago