Ambassador Chicago
Warwick Allerton-Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$214
$168
  • Room Service
Chicago South Loop Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$167
$134
Hotwire.com
$221
$199
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$329
$237
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$158
$144
Orbitz.com
1,720 results
All reviewspump roompublic hotellibrary barthe gold coastian schragergreat neighborhoodboutique hotelrush streetcommon areasguest roomslincoln parkfew blocksupon checklake michiganmag milethe magnificent milelobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Dear Fellow Travellers- Business/ Leisure:

I will preface this recommendation by stating I am a frequent international traveller, live in London part time, Executive Platinum American Airlines, VIP Open Table, etc. - needless to note, I am constantly setting up camp at hotels, airports, restaurants worldwide. Notable: I also have HIGH expectations for the BEST service, products, options, connectivity, quite room atmosphere, world class fitness equipment, cleanliness and STYLE -this is how I roll. Period -to please me is no easy feat –

I AM MORE THAN PLEASED WITH MY STAY AT THE PUBLIC HOTEL, the newly refurbished former Ambassador East in Chicago's elegant Gold Coast.

Below you will find exactly what I find to be appealing, attractive and addicting enough that I extended my trip twice whilst residing, have entertained important business customers 4 times at The Pump Room - new food and wine list and priced very well -see below:

• Precision: Every single staff member went through a 3 week training process and it shows (I got to know them in the Library bar and restaurant.) The staff is HAPPY so guess what? Happy people deliver HAPPY precise service-
• Style: The hotel kept the original architecture and integrated incredible style, casual chic with the most beautiful working fire place, open rooms, the highest ceilings, love seats and a scrabble (my fav,) always on hand.
• Casual Chic: I am American so to see all staff wearing the latest skinny jeans from Levis, Chuck Tailors and high heels and tasteful fitted black little numbers for the cocktail ladies, I am thrilled and my customers, most financial, are, its perfect. I am able to hang out in a Cavalli number or flip flops and it all fits . .advising all to shower up - the crowd around here is easy on the eyes - :)
• Service: This is a BRAND new hotel with BRAND bar, restaurant, service rules and staff. A few times there were silly mishaps but were fixed so quickly and SOLVED without drama, I have never experienced such great attitude service, probably because these people are happy to serve, they are cool with it and so am I.
• Best Effort: With a new establishment, not everything goes according to plan, flexibility, customisable things, and trying a bit harder to impress the first time are all key initiatives. I do think BEST EFFORT is directly related to leadership and guidance and also, is directly correlated with HAPPY people - it is not PUSH or aggressive, but mellow and effective. These people cannot do enough to make everything work to your liking –

Finally, I am thrilled to have discovered this place in my most coveted old neighbourhood, I even checked out an apartment to buy across the street. I have decided not to buy the apartment and just stay here when I am in town.

A pleasure,

Karen Bertoli
karen.bertoli@fixnetix.com

Room Tip: Most people like the view of State street with trees, people strolling and the Ambassdor West, now high end condos. Given their precision, I doubt any room will be less than stellar - and if it is, the service is so nice and HAPPY to please, ask for another room. If they are not booked, I am guessing you will be moved and pleased.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank karenbertoli
PUBLIC_Manager, Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2011

Karen,

Thank you for your outstanding review. We appreciate hearing your positive feedback and are thrilled that you extended your stay twice.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 5, 2011

One of the best experiences in my life, and I travel a lot! Right from the start: located in the best Chicago residential area - the quiet, aristocratic Gold Coast,- you arrive at this elegant, welcoming entrance. The staff is sweet and helpful (and they remember your name for days!) then you walk into this cloud-like place, like a hip temple for every day and for everyone, with communal tables and computers for all. The lobby, the library (where you read, talk and drink delicious coffee or libations at night) and the rooms are exquisite! You must order breakfast: a new way of getting your morning fix is in place: you're in for a surprise, that arrives fast too! Then, there is the celebrated Pump Room, where Jean-Georges does his magic, affordable for all size pockets. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: A corner room if you can!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Dora M

Thank you for your enthusiastic and positive review. We truly enjoyed having you at our hotel. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Despite all the hype over this "new" property, my experience was not so great. The room I was assigned was miniscule, with barely enough room to get around the low slung bed. The bathroom was postage stamp size as well. To make matters worse, the room itself was next to the elevator shaft which made the room uncomfortably noisy. BTW, I requested a different room because of the noise, was told one would be forthcoming as soon as one became available, and that was the last I heard about it. No new room, not even an apology for not being able to offer one. I was disappointed that the room came with neither a radio (couldn't get my fix of NPR) nor a coffee maker. For coffee, I was directed to the coffee bar off the lobby, where I was able to purchase an inferior cup of coffee for "only" $3.27. But at least there was a newspaper in the lobby (not delivered to the room) so I could keep up with the goings on in Chicago. Okay, so I got a very attractive rate since the hotel had just opened. But I'd gladly have paid more for, well, more. To compete in the very competitive Chicago business hotel market, Public will have to offer more. Now the restaurant, the Pump Room, that's another story. I'll post more in the restaurant review section, but it was fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators. Stay away from their small "superior" rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mjgkng

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated Pump Room yet we also have to apologize that PUBLIC Chicago did not entirely meet your expectations. We have noted your comments and are working hard towards improving. We hope that if you decide to stay with us again, you will have a much better experience.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

As Chicago residents, my wife and I decided to stay downtown this weekend and picked the new hotel on the grounds of the former Ambassador East. I have never reviewed for trip adviser, but had to relay the story of this great place. First, the location. It is a one block walk from Lake Michigan beaches and Astor Street neighborhood represents a walk around one of the most beautiful residential streets in the world. Gorgeous old mansions-prettiest street in Chicago.
The restaurant is a spectacular recreation of the famous Pump Room. Pictures of Cary Grant, Don Rickles, etc. are remembrances of the past, but the modern decor of the restaurant is a knock out. Two rooms of bars, library, and couches surround the restaurant and at night were filled with crowds of people from 25-70 years of age, straight and gay, white and black, all mixing to music and discussing everything under the sun. We spent half an hour just sitting on a couch and people watching as men mostly in blue jeans, mixed with well every sort of friendly individual you can imagine. The food in the dining room for dinner and breakfast(everything made fresh in the kitchen) was great and meals were about a very reasonable $20 or so. My wife's pasta was the best she ever had and my pork chop was terrific. The atmosphere was simply electric. We were on our way to a $100 a person restaurant when we decided to eat here as it was as fun as can be mixing with loads of couples before dinner.
The rooms were decorated with fun and leisure as goals, and our upgraded room was huge.. Every person working in the hotel went out of their way to make our trip terrific. The location is a short cab ride from downtown and Michigan Avenue shopping. We love Chicago and have lived here all our lives. We would recommend staying here to anyone-from out of town or for a romantic weekend away from home. If you fly into Midway or O'hare you can cab around the city for a weekend without a car. Great for singles or couples. Seemed to attract many locals to the location. Makes me proud of our city and certainly the friendliest atmosphere possible and This is an independent for real review. We have stayed at all of the $500 a night Chicago hotels and would pick Public over all of them.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank caryfcindyr

Thank you for taking the time to review PUBLIC Chicago. We love hearing from our guests and truly enjoyed reading your review of your experience.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

We recently spent an night in the newly renovated Public Chicago and loved the hotel. The service was fantastic, our room was upgraded when we requrested not to be located right next to the evevator and the room was refreshingly not like an older hotel.

We had a very nice refrigerator/ bar and the large flat screen TV was heaven for my husband!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room with King bed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
PUBLIC_Manager, General Manager at Ambassador Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Thank you for staying PUBLIC and for your great review! I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy your upgraded room and its amenities. It was a pleasure hosting you as a guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Peter Walterspiel