Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #162 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband and I and another couple got some rooms here for New Year's Eve. The room is small but it was ok. There were hairs on our sheets but we running late for dinner so we didn't have time to call the front desk. The bathroom is really small, with a high tub, and it smelt like someone had just used it. Surpringsly it was quiet and the bed was comforatable. There was an issue with some wrong charges on my card. This charged made our account overdraw. The hotel management kept insisting that my bank charged me and not them, which any reasonable person knows is impossible. After me having to call my bank, they sent a letter to my bank to have the charged removed. It seemed like it took them forever because my ride ended up having to leave and I had to get my husband to come back and pick me up. They did the letter and the amounts were incorrect so they had to redo it. It was finally right. Then 3 days later there was another charge that was valid that they failed to inform me about. I asked if they would do anything or my incovience and they in so many words said no. It wasn't until I emailed their Guest Relations department that they sent me a free night. So everything worked out, just slowly. Its the cheapest place close to the Mag Mile, so if thats what you want then go for it. If not, pay the extra $20 and go around the corner to the Inn of Chicago, way better!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 5, 2011

This was, hands down, the grossest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Or have ever NOT stayed in, I guess I should say, because we didn't stay overnight.

Back in December, Red Roof Inn ran a promo where it was $20. and change to stay one night (January 2nd) at any of their US locations. Since we live outside of Chicago, I thought this would be something fun for my husband & I to do. $20 hotel, great location, what's to lose?

Normally I research hotels to death before booking, but I could *swear* I'd stayed at this exact hotel years ago, so I didn't research this at all. Big mistake, because I stayed at the hotel across the street, not the Red Roof Inn! This hotel's location is fantastic: 1/2 block off Michigan Ave., 8 blocks from Navy Pier, close to tons of restaurants. It's a perfect location for Chicago shopping/touring. It is safe & very "walkable."

Upon check in, the employee looked absolutely startled to see us, perhaps because I am not a hooker? I do not know. In hindsight, I should have known right then that this was a mistake. He was very, very nice. Check in was quick, the rate was correct, we were in our room in minutes.

The room was so outdated- like nothing I'd ever seen before. Seriously, my retro 1970's cottage is more 'up to date' than this hotel. The room was small, which I can handle. It was a bed, a dresser with a flat screen tv and a desk.

The walls were dingy. I could literally see through the sheets. The sheets were stained. The carpeting was disgusting- like keep your shoes on disgusting, because the Red Roof Chicago apparently doesn't include vacuuming with their cleaning service. There was so much lint/ crumbs/ random debris along where the carpet met the walls, I nearly gagged. We reserved a smoking room, so anticipated a smoky smell, again something I can handle. However, there were ashes all over the desk, floor and bed. My husband had to use the washroom and didn't even wash his hands afterwards because he didn't want to touch the faucet!

I would recommend staying anywhere else but here, even if it means buying less while shopping, it's that bad. Remember, this was a $20 room that I wouldn't spend $20 on! I have no idea what the regular rate is, but there is no way I would pay money to stay here.

We immediately checked out & were told that we wouldn't be charged. I would have happily paid $20 NOT to stay in this hotel, so I couldn't care less. All in all this ended up being 19 minutes of my life & $6 for 19 minutes of parking that I am ok losing. We ended up going home & having dinner locally, lol.

Would I recommend this to a friend? I wouldn't recommend this hotel to someone I dislike, let alone someone I might see again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trav312
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. We obviously failed miserably in meeting your expectations. Every guest deserves a clean room at the very minimum. We realize that we have lost your business, but we do want you to know that we listen to what our guests have to say.

Your room as you describe it was definitely not cleaned or maintained to our standards. We are currently in the processing of doing a thorough inspection and deep cleaning of every room which includes carpet shampooing, window washing, routine and preventive maintenance, as well as additional training of each member of our housekeeping, maintenance, and front desk teams.

The Red Roof Inn does have a wonderful location. We agree that we would greatly benefit from a renovation, but until that is scheduled, we are focusing on improving our quality, cleanliness, and service.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

When reading reviews on hotels (which I do often when booking hotels) I always think the bad reviews here and there could just be people being a little too harsh. Bc I've seen bad reviews on Great places to stay. You can't please everybody, ya know! Well, no... this is not the case on the Redroof Inn. My boyfriend & I are Very easy going & easily please and this hotel was just TERRIBLE! Outdated, old, and just filthy! Honestly, we didn't even want to sleep under the covers!! I've stayed at many places in Chicago, and for the price, this hotel is Not Worth It! I wouldn't even stay there again if they gave me a room for free. The whole hotel needs updating. There was no microwave or fridge in our room as claimed. And there wasn't Any Amenities. Nothing! The downstairs of this hotel only consist of the front desk & sitting area. There isn't even a common area to heat up food or anything. On top of it all, we kept having staff knock on our doors to see if someone was in the room. Not just once, or twice, but three times it happened. And early early in the morning! I don't know about you, but when I'm on vacation I like my privacy and that was not the case at this dive. The only plus side to this hotel is it's wonderful location. But I don't think even the location would make it worth the stay. This whole hotel needs a makeover, Bad!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

We understand the importance of reading online reviews when choosing a hotel for your travels and appreciate the fact that you were objective when you chose to stay with us. That is why we are disappointed that your stay was not a pleasant one.

We take full responsibility for the cleanliness of our hotel. It is true that we have not been recently renovated like many of the downtown hotels in Chicago, but that is no reason our rooms should not be meticulously clean and well maintained. We do apologize. We will certainly take corrective measures.

We are also concerned that you were disturbed by knocking on your door early in the morning. It is our policy to call a guestroom or knock on the door only after noon, our check-out time. We certainly agree that our guests deserve their privacy and are very likely to sleep later in the day while on vacation. We will immediately ensure our housekeeping staff adheres to this policy. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

We are committed to improving our reviews. Hopefully, you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

I was very excited to find this hotel in such close proximity to the Magic Mile. The hotel is small, but clean and decently priced. We had a small room, but it came complete with a nice sized bathroom, fridge and microwave which was nice. The hotel is within walking distance of a lot of really great things (including the Red Head Piano Bar, the John Hancock building, the beaches, Navy Pier and Gino's East). I enjoyed my stay and was happy with the hotel. I, however, have two complaints: 1. The hotel charged us $17.00 a night for the inn room safe, which we didn't even use. 2. We paid $75 a night for the hotel to keep our car. When they brought our car back to us there was huge stain on the trunk. The car had been parked under a leaking pipe and it had stripped the paint off of a large portion of the drunk. When we confronted the guy about it, he made us follow him back to the garage because he said that he had special cleaner that could fix the paint. The special cleaner was your run of the mill glass cleaner, which it took an hour for him to try. After that we had to drive all the way back to the hotel to get a refund. We were 2 hours late for our trip home because they won't just admit the mistake. That sucked.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking your valuable time to tell us about your stay at the Red Roof Inn. Our location is definitely one of the best in downtown Chicago and we believe we offer a great value to our guests.

However, we are puzzled by your comment concerning our in room safe charges. They total $1.68 including tax per night, not $17.00. In addition, if you do not use the safe, we do not expect you to pay. The majority of our guests appreciate the added security our safes provide for their valuables and feel the $1.68 is a very reasonable price to pay.

In reference to the hotel parking, our valet parking is provided by a third party since we do not have a garage on site. The nightly charge for that service is $36 tax included, not $75. If your car sustained any damage and it was reported to the valet employee, you should certainly receive compensation for the repair. The company is required to carry substantial liability insurance. Any damage done to your vehicle while it was parked would be covered under that policy. We sincerely apologize that your return home was delayed and the issue was not resolved to your satisfaction before you departed. If there is anything we can do to assist you in this matter, it would be our pleasure.

We hope we have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2010

For everyone who wants to go shopping a perfect location - just around the corner of Michigan Avenue. Pricewise it's just perfect and for the money you pay it's really ok. The hotel needs some renovation, but it's tidy. The rooms are very small. You should go for a room with twin beds, what I had, so you have some extra space :-)
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Free-Wifi in the room...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Our room was overbooked by a creep!! The hotel overbooked our room and this man went through all of our suitcases and stole several items. He called us asking us to meet him to get our things back. The hotel didn't know they overbooked the room until we called to ask if they had seen any suspicious activity.
They moved the man to a different room and he wasn't kicked out for stealing our things!! Service was absolutely terrible - I would recommend the Inn of Chicago if you want to stay near this area.

THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER & I TRAVEL A LOT!!!!!!!!!

I will never stay at a Red Roof INN again – and neither will any of my friends, family or co-workers

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2010

Once again, I apologize for the unfortunate incident that occurred after you and your party checked into the hotel. An error was made by a guest service agent and a key to your room was accidentally given to another guest. It was completely our fault and we took full responsibility. The safety and security of our guests is our highest priority. Corrective measures have been taken to ensure this will not happen again in the future.

When I spoke to you and your two companions, I did everything in my power to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. I am sorry that you do not feel it was inadequate. I understand and empathize how upset you were and you had every right to be. However, you fail to mention in your review that I found you another hotel while you waited since you were not familiar with the city. I offered to escort you there myself. I asked you to purchase the missing items at your convenience and send me the reciepts in order to reimburse you. I personally paid for your first night and ensured you received a deep discount on your second night. A police report was filed and I assisted in their investigation of the theft.

Even though you reported only three items were missing when I initially took your report, you submitted receipts for ten items for which you are being fully reimbursed. I sincerely apologize that these efforts were insufficient and you feel you did not receive the service you expected. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what else I could have done for you.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

We were lucky enough to have a corner room on the top floor, so we had lots of windows and a nice view. It wasn't the fanciest place- carpets and beds were old obviously, but the bathroom was small but clean and the room was fine for a budget place. I was worried by some of the reviews, but we enjoyed our stay. The location is great- only one block off Michigan Ave. Super convenient for walking to explore the city. Staff was nice, especially doormen and valet parking guys- they were friendly and gave us tips on restaurants. In short, I'd stay here again, especially considering the affordability factor. You do have to pay extra for parking, and it is valet only, but that's typical of places in large cities.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends