The St. Clair Hotel
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
1,145 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I am so glad that I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and reserved a room here. I knew exactly what to expect - not so great room in an incredible location. My boyfriend and I are traveling across the country quickly and only had one day to experience Chicago. We didn't have time to stay somewhere cheaper outside town and take transit or drive and park. We arrived at midnight - the valet parked our car. We didn't see the car again until we left. The staff was polite, but not overly friendly, but we had everything we needed. We crashed as soon as we got into the room, which was very small as indicated on this website. We woke up and hit Chicago, which a half a block away. This hotel is in the best neighborhood - incredible. We walked all over the place during the day and did our sightseeing. We stopped at the room for a quick change of clothes and shower and hit the streets for dinner. The next morning we hit the streets and left. The only negative comment I have is about the air conditioner, which wasn't negative for us. We love having loud white noise in hotel rooms - especially in loud cities. It drowned out any other noise. But if you are used to quiet at night, this air conditioner probably would have bothered you. But the downtown location would probably bother you too. I loved this hotel and would stay again. All the other hotels in the neighborhood were $300+ per night. We paid ~$170 for the Red Roof Inn. If you are picky and want to hang out in a perfect hotel room, this is not for you.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2007

Like others have noted, the reason to stay here is the price and location alone. Don't expect any extras, unless you consider a hair dryer and A/C big perks.

Room was small and wasn't that clean and the housekeeper didn't bother to come until our third day there. The shower did not drain--disgusting--and housekeeping could not fix it. A/C was full blast or nothing.

We came with our toddler and received a crib, but it was stained and old. No refrigerator in our "standard" room, either. Not the best place to bring young children, but we survived.

There is an Italian restaurant there, but notfor families with young ones.

To their credit, when checking out I mentioned the drain problem and I rec'd an $80 credit adjustment.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We have stayed at the Red Roof Inn for 3 days early May. I hesitated for a long time to stay here because of all the bad comments. But for us it was a pleasant surprise.
Location perfect.
Reception very nice and helpfull. We arrived too early and the room we booked had not been cleaned. We left our baggage and came back after lunch, about 3.00 p.m.
Because the room was still not ready they offered us an upgrade to a bigger room without any costs. A nice corner room, with 2 beds, a desk and 2 chairs. Everything was clean.
So no complaints at all for $ 116.00 per night!
We would come back here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I should have known better after reading some other comments, but I thought I'd take a chance......big mistake.........filthy...walk barefoot on the carpeting and the bottom of your feet are blackened.......small does not define the bathroom(not even compared to some in Europe)....part of the wall under the shower came crashing into the tub....what an experience......never thought I could say this, but I would have rather paid to stay somewhere else, than stay there for free!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2007

i stayed there for 3-nights, that was good experience. All of the hotel was average. My room at 2nd-floor was not spacious but okey. Staffs were not so helpful, but polite enough.
Although only 1-block distance from Magnificent Mile, the rate had so much value. So, I recommend this hotel for economy travellers.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business