Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #162 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The cleaner didn't vacuum the carpet when he clean the roon. However the cloth were clean. It was quiet. The internet didn't work all the time.... The check in and check out was done quickly. I've got quickly the credit of 10.oo for non use of the safe. Thanks

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely appreciate your business. It is our policy to vacuum the floors in every room each day. I do apologize the housekeeper assigned to service your room during your stay did not follow this required procedure. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

In reference to the safe charge, the vast majority of people today travel with multiple electronic devices, passports, and other valuable items. They appreciate the added security our safes provide. We do not ask a guest if they plan to use the safe when they arrive, because it could indicate to anyone listening that they are carrying valuables. However, we do not expect a guest to pay for the safe if the guest did not use it. The staff is happy to reverse the safe charges upon a guest’s request when he or she departs.

I hope to see you again when you are in Chicago.

Heidi Cordes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I had to stay in Chicago 4 nights and did choose this hotel for second time. Yes, the staff is nice and friendly when talks to you, but out of control at the other time. House keepers talk loudly in the hallway and two of them watched tv very loud in next room. They did say hi on my way out, but did not enter our room to do the job that day. (The guys could be substitutes, I did not see the girl, who did good job the day before.)
The building is old. Air conditioner fans are loud- at least our one, the one in next room and in the room above. The toilet was probably leaking and filled up every 3 minutes or so, making the respective noise.
Beside this, everything is good. This is a place to sleep. You can't eat in the site and the only entertainment is the tv. It is made this way and this is great in unfriendly Chicago. Will get better if the managers walk on the floors more often. Most of the problems do not need investments to be fixed. And I will come back again next year, probably.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mariy V

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. It is always nice to have a previous guest return. I am very sorry for the noise our staff made during your stay. I will share your comments with them and be much more present on the floors. In addition, I will ensure our maintenance staff checks the air conditioners in every room to ensure they are working properly and quietly.

In reference to not being able to eat on site, we do have a great Italian restaurant, Coco Pazzo, which is located right next to the lobby although the main entrance is outside. It is open for lunch and dinner. Not only does it offer excellent Northern Italian cuisine, there is a charming bar with a great wine list.

I will definitely look forward to your return and certainly want you to try our restaurant.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed Oct 11-13 with friends in "king suite". Check in was smooth and throughout the customer service at front desk was very good. However, simply put the room was dirty, noisy, smelled funny, dark & very much outdated. Outlets were hard to come by including none in the bathroom to do hair. The bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, just gross. Lights were only above the bed & a makeshift lamp by the tv. The tvs were on when we walked in & some spanish show was playing.

The doors didn't shut fully, you had to slam the bathroom door to get it to shut, same with the door to the room. My kids slept in the pullout & it looked like the sheet hadn't been changed in a long time. The couch cushions were gross. I moved the chair next to the pull out so my daughter didn't fall out & there was an old sock & a potato chip on the ground. I was nervous about bed bugs. I bought a pair of slippers and less than a day of walking in the room, the bottoms were filthy.

The noise was ridiculous at night, from the street, elevator, other people's water running and we were on the 15th floor. Sun morning 5 am someone was banging on the neighbor's door I thought they would break it down.

Lastly, we asked the valet to get us a cab for the airport the next morning. He insisted on getting it 30 minutes before we wanted it (claiming it would take 45 minutes to get to Midway that early which was crazy) but it was the morning of the marathon so I agreed to 6:30. There were 4 of us and he said that he called a car. I had no idea at the time this was different than a cab. 6:00 am front desk calls that our ride was on the way. Fine, we said we would be down in 25 minutes. 15 mins later they call back and say your ride is here. My thought was the meter better not be running! We go down & get in a big SUV type car. We leave, I'm trying to get the seat belt to work and we realize no meter so we ask how much this was going to cost and he said $65! By then we were on our way to the airport and it was too late- so instead of paying what would have been a $35 cab fare we paid double with tip.

To top it off, my daughter left her stuffed animal in the bed and when we called to have it sent back the front desk said we would have to pay to have it shipped. Luckily the manager understood that the least they could do was ship it for us. He also said the valet are not supposed to call private cars, only cabs so I feel like we were duped.

The location is great, but that drives the price. Don't expect much else. Would recommend to stay elsewhere to get basic cleanliness.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I apologize your stay was not an entirely pleasant one. I appreciate your feedback and I can assure you I will take the necessary steps to prevent these issues in the future. We are certainly responsible for the cleanliness and the maintenance of your room. I am very sorry it was not cleaned to our standards. Your detailed comments are much appreciated and I will share them with the entire staff to improve our performance. Every bathroom is equipped with a hairdryer, including both bathrooms in our suites. In addition, there are electrical outlets for their use in each bathroom.

The Red Roof Inn has a great location right in the heart of the city. Not only are we close to most of the major attraction’s in Chicago, there are taxis readily available 24 hours a day right outside the entrance to the hotel. I do not know whom you contacted to make arrangements for your transportation to Midway. It sounds like a limo was called for you by someone other than an employee of the hotel. We do not recommend them since they are so much more expensive and not metered as required by city taxis. However, I am pleased we could assist you in getting your daughter’s stuffed animal back to her.

I do hope you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Your stay was definitely not the level of service we want to provide our guests and I am very sorry. It is our goal to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I spent 4 nights and 5 days at this hotel. The hospitality was amazing. Never in my life have I received the kind courtious behavior this staff displays. Amazing!!!!! This staff knows all about their city. Where to go, what to see, what trollies, trains, double decker buses to take. They know the delicious spots to eat in the magnificant city. The word outstanding customer service does not describe the hospitality The Red Roof Inn has to offer. Thanks again for the stay and when I am back in the Windy City I will look you up again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

I appreciate you letting other travelers know the entire staff is here to ensure our guests have a wonderful time while they are our guests. Our guest service representatives are local experts and eager to assist you with any question or to make recommendations. Our goal is to not just meet your expectations, but to exceed them. I am glad our service during your stay met that goal. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team.

The Red Roof Inn has a great location and you can easily walk to many restaurants and Chicago’s favorite attractions. Thank you very much for your review and I look forward to your return. We will strive to amaze you again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Every staff member I spoke with was friendly, accommodating, and helpful. Rooms were updated in decor, however, tiles, bathtub, and toilet had cracks. I agree with the previous writer, I would prefer the floor be cleaner. Bed was comfortable, air conditioning worked well.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, too much street noise. Avoid room 208, the door is very hard to open/clo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you noticed our recent improvements. Since our rooms were refreshed last year with new beds, wall coverings and fresh paint, new linens, duvets, and drapes, we are now working on a bathroom blitz to bring them up to the same standards. I am confident you will appreciate the difference the next time you stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed two nights, very old building, and not clean, carpet in hallways looked fifty years old.toilet in bathroom was so close to wall my wife and i had to sit sideways on it. no water pressure in shower. room carpet was so dirt my white socks we black after walking around the room for a few hours. called down to request an extra blanket and the woman told my wife she would have to come and get it herself if she wanted it my wife said she was in her pj's already so the woman said thats ok come down anyways. just no excuse for being dirty,that falls totally on the management. would never stay there again. worst part of our trip to chicago.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry your stay was not a pleasant one. It is apparent from your comments we failed to meet your expectations in nearly every department. We certainly are responsible for ensuring not only our rooms are clean and well maintained, but that each guest receives five star service while they stay with us. I will share your comments with the entire staff. I assure you I will take the necessary steps to ensure other guests do not have the same experience.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights in August and the location is just amazing. Just a block from the magnificent mile and only a short walk to the millennium park. You get free wifi in room and the connection speed is very good.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. There is no doubt we have an amazing location. You are close to most of the favorite attractions in Chicago, as well as dozens of restaurants. All of the staff is here to answer your questions and ensure you have a pleasant stay.

At Red Roof Inn we understand the importance of staying connected with family, friends, and work while traveling, so I am glad you put our complimentary wifi to good use. I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again very soon.

Heidi Cordes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Red Roof Inn Chicago - O'Hare Ai...
#6 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Downtown / The Loop
Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago
Downtown / The Loop
Best Western Grant Park Hotel

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!