“Stay for location not for hotel”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #157 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Pittsburgh
“Stay for location not for hotel”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed Oct 11-13 with friends in "king suite". Check in was smooth and throughout the customer service at front desk was very good. However, simply put the room was dirty, noisy, smelled funny, dark & very much outdated. Outlets were hard to come by including none in the bathroom to do hair. The bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months, just gross. Lights were only above the bed & a makeshift lamp by the tv. The tvs were on when we walked in & some spanish show was playing.

The doors didn't shut fully, you had to slam the bathroom door to get it to shut, same with the door to the room. My kids slept in the pullout & it looked like the sheet hadn't been changed in a long time. The couch cushions were gross. I moved the chair next to the pull out so my daughter didn't fall out & there was an old sock & a potato chip on the ground. I was nervous about bed bugs. I bought a pair of slippers and less than a day of walking in the room, the bottoms were filthy.

The noise was ridiculous at night, from the street, elevator, other people's water running and we were on the 15th floor. Sun morning 5 am someone was banging on the neighbor's door I thought they would break it down.

Lastly, we asked the valet to get us a cab for the airport the next morning. He insisted on getting it 30 minutes before we wanted it (claiming it would take 45 minutes to get to Midway that early which was crazy) but it was the morning of the marathon so I agreed to 6:30. There were 4 of us and he said that he called a car. I had no idea at the time this was different than a cab. 6:00 am front desk calls that our ride was on the way. Fine, we said we would be down in 25 minutes. 15 mins later they call back and say your ride is here. My thought was the meter better not be running! We go down & get in a big SUV type car. We leave, I'm trying to get the seat belt to work and we realize no meter so we ask how much this was going to cost and he said $65! By then we were on our way to the airport and it was too late- so instead of paying what would have been a $35 cab fare we paid double with tip.

To top it off, my daughter left her stuffed animal in the bed and when we called to have it sent back the front desk said we would have to pay to have it shipped. Luckily the manager understood that the least they could do was ship it for us. He also said the valet are not supposed to call private cars, only cabs so I feel like we were duped.

The location is great, but that drives the price. Don't expect much else. Would recommend to stay elsewhere to get basic cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your review and I apologize your stay was not an entirely pleasant one. I appreciate your feedback and I can assure you I will take the necessary steps to prevent these issues in the future. We are certainly responsible for the cleanliness and the maintenance of your room. I am very sorry it was not cleaned to our standards. Your detailed comments are much appreciated and I will share them with the entire staff to improve our performance. Every bathroom is equipped with a hairdryer, including both bathrooms in our suites. In addition, there are electrical outlets for their use in each bathroom.

The Red Roof Inn has a great location right in the heart of the city. Not only are we close to most of the major attraction’s in Chicago, there are taxis readily available 24 hours a day right outside the entrance to the hotel. I do not know whom you contacted to make arrangements for your transportation to Midway. It sounds like a limo was called for you by someone other than an employee of the hotel. We do not recommend them since they are so much more expensive and not metered as required by city taxis. However, I am pleased we could assist you in getting your daughter’s stuffed animal back to her.

I do hope you will reconsider and give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Your stay was definitely not the level of service we want to provide our guests and I am very sorry. It is our goal to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Heidi Cordes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North English, Iowa
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I spent 4 nights and 5 days at this hotel. The hospitality was amazing. Never in my life have I received the kind courtious behavior this staff displays. Amazing!!!!! This staff knows all about their city. Where to go, what to see, what trollies, trains, double decker buses to take. They know the delicious spots to eat in the magnificant city. The word outstanding customer service does not describe the hospitality The Red Roof Inn has to offer. Thanks again for the stay and when I am back in the Windy City I will look you up again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
I appreciate you letting other travelers know the entire staff is here to ensure our guests have a wonderful time while they are our guests. Our guest service representatives are local experts and eager to assist you with any question or to make recommendations. Our goal is to not just meet your expectations, but to exceed them. I am glad our service during your stay met that goal. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team.

The Red Roof Inn has a great location and you can easily walk to many restaurants and Chicago’s favorite attractions. Thank you very much for your review and I look forward to your return. We will strive to amaze you again.

Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Every staff member I spoke with was friendly, accommodating, and helpful. Rooms were updated in decor, however, tiles, bathtub, and toilet had cracks. I agree with the previous writer, I would prefer the floor be cleaner. Bed was comfortable, air conditioning worked well.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, too much street noise. Avoid room 208, the door is very hard to open/clo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you noticed our recent improvements. Since our rooms were refreshed last year with new beds, wall coverings and fresh paint, new linens, duvets, and drapes, we are now working on a bathroom blitz to bring them up to the same standards. I am confident you will appreciate the difference the next time you stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Chicago.

ohio
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed two nights, very old building, and not clean, carpet in hallways looked fifty years old.toilet in bathroom was so close to wall my wife and i had to sit sideways on it. no water pressure in shower. room carpet was so dirt my white socks we black after walking around the room for a few hours. called down to request an extra blanket and the woman told my wife she would have to come and get it herself if she wanted it my wife said she was in her pj's already so the woman said thats ok come down anyways. just no excuse for being dirty,that falls totally on the management. would never stay there again. worst part of our trip to chicago.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review. I am truly sorry your stay was not a pleasant one. It is apparent from your comments we failed to meet your expectations in nearly every department. We certainly are responsible for ensuring not only our rooms are clean and well maintained, but that each guest receives five star service while they stay with us. I will share your comments with the entire staff. I assure you I will take the necessary steps to ensure other guests do not have the same experience.

Heidi Cordes

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of nights in August and the location is just amazing. Just a block from the magnificent mile and only a short walk to the millennium park. You get free wifi in room and the connection speed is very good.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. There is no doubt we have an amazing location. You are close to most of the favorite attractions in Chicago, as well as dozens of restaurants. All of the staff is here to answer your questions and ensure you have a pleasant stay.

At Red Roof Inn we understand the importance of staying connected with family, friends, and work while traveling, so I am glad you put our complimentary wifi to good use. I hope we get the opportunity to serve you again very soon.

Buffalo, IN
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the Red Roof Inn. I was exhausted from work and ready for bed when I arrived at the check in counter, not wanting anything except a pillow for my head. I was not in the nicest of all moods either. Then I met RECO, he was the most outstanding clerk and servicemen. He cheered my co-workers and I right up and helped out with everything we needed. He made the stay at the Red Roof Inn very reloaxing, and very cheerful. I want to write that if not for him this stay would have been like any other stay at any other inn. I had a great time, a great nights rest, and an overall wonderful experience. Thank you RECO!!!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for Reco, he will be an awesome help
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always nice to hear when a member of our staff goes above and beyond to serve our guests. I am very pleased you had a wonderful experience while you were with us and we were able to add some cheer to your day. I agree with you that great service can change your attitude. It is the difference between an average stay and a wonderful one.

I will certainly a pass on your comments and use your experience as the goal we all want to achieve. I am confident your next stay with us will be just as amazing.

Sweden
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Inexpensive hotel with great location just a block from Michigan avenue (the magnificient mile)
Helpful staff. Wifi working most of the time but more so in the lobby than in the rooms. No swimming pool. Breakfast not included.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. The Red Roof Inn offers the best value of any hotel in downtown Chicago. We do have a wonderful location and our staff is here 24 hours a day to serve you. Even though we do not offer breakfast, there are several restaurants within one or two blocks that open early in the morning, so you will not go hungry. Our Italian restaurant, Coco Pazzo, is open daily for lunch and dinner. They have a great menu and wine list, as well as a full bar for your enjoyment.

Our free wireless internet lets you stay in contact with your family, friends, and colleagues while you travel. I do apologize if you experienced issues during your stay. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention, so we can address that.