“Best deal in downtown area!”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #162 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 9, 2013

One block off Michigan Ave., the rooms are small but clean and reasonably priced, the service at the desk is excellent, especially Kenny and Michael, and you simply can not go wrong. No frills however, so you do have to walk a block or two for etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you very much for writing a review and telling others about your stay. The Red Roof Inn does offer a great value and our location cannot be beat.

Kenny, Michael, and the entire staff look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Have you seen the commercial that the people are blind folded? Trash all around and moldy food? The people are asked what they smell? It's a sick, foul environment they are in. When you walk into the room, all you smell is FeBreze. This scares me! I did NOT walk on the floor, I only laid on the sheet, and had the sheet on top of me. I also did not shower, due to paint peeling off the walls. Needless to say...out of a 4 night stay, I checked out after 1 night.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review and I appreciate your comments. Please accept my sincere apology. All of our rooms should have a pleasant scent, but not an overpowering one. In addition, no room should be in service with peeling paint. That certainly is not our standard or policy. I understand your dissatisfaction. I can assure you I will take the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The staff was always friendly and helpful, but the physical building is deteriorating.

In addition to being quite small, our room needed TLC and better cleaning. There were marks on the walls, baseboards and the carpet was clean, but worn.

There were loose outlet coverings and the small table between the beds had a marked surface where something too hot had been placed on it. Under the table surface was a little nook that was dirty and contained an old candy wrapper.

The beds were comfortable, but there were no options for declining sheet changing in the interest of the environment. The same issue with the bathroom, there was not a stated option to hang the towels to be re-used. The bathroom itself was quite small, basically enough room to open the door between a sink and toilet and next to the shower. The bathroom wasn't completely clean, there were little black specks near the ceiling that were either dead gnats or small mold spores.

Internet reception was free but couldn't support two smart phones and a laptop simultaneously. The Internet signal would be dropped.

When we arrived, one of the elevators was non-functional, although it was fixed later that day.

The last time we stayed, we felt like we had found a relatively cheap, nice place to stay a block-and-a-half from Michigan Avenue. This time, I felt like the hotel hadn't been maintained since the last time we stayed three or four years ago.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that your stay this time was not as positive as your last stay. I will share your comments with the entire staff and I assure you we will remedy the issues you described. We are completely responsible to ensure our rooms are clean and well maintained.

I am surprised you did not see the improvements made since your last stay. Last year all of our rooms got new beds, linens, drapes, paint, and wall coverings. In addition, there is wood laminate flooring in over half of our rooms. The lobby and elevators have been updated, as well.

I appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here in June of 2013. The room was booked through a convention and this hotel was at the lowest price point offered.
The room was one of the smallest I have ever seen, more like a Manhattan sized hotel room. The bathroom was incredibly small as well. The closet was just a narrow opening in the wall.
Obviously, the building has been around for a while and it was given a superficial update in recent years (laminate flooring, paint and some furniture.)
I've stayed in Red Roof Inns in the past, and this property was nothing like the others. For a hotel chain, this was about as basic a room as I've seen. Everything worked, although the room to the door would not shut unless you pulled on it, hard. Until I realized I had to do that, the door would be completely unlocked a few times. That's a safety concern.
The location is good. I know you get what you pay for, yet I had friend staying in town at the same time and he managed to find a much higher grade of hotel for about $20 a night more.
Dealing with the desk could have been a better experience. As I said, I booked through a convention. I shared the room with another convention attendee and my reservation through the convention clearly showed both names on the reservation. When my potential roommate called to check on the reservation, he was told his name did not appear and I would have to call to make sure he could check in prior to my arrival. The call took several minutes and a couple of transfers and holds. When I finally checked in, after him, they had some trouble finding my name on the reservation. Since we planned on splitting the bill, I wanted to have my credit card added when i checked in; I was told this would not be possible and that the two of us would have to show up at the desk at the same time in order to accomplish this. This seems odd and not terribly accommodating.
On the whole, the place was acceptable. If you can pay a few dollars more a night, I would definitely shop around first, however.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for posting a review. Our hotel is located in an historic building constructed nearly 100 years ago. Like many of the hotels in New York of the same vintage, our standard rooms are smaller than those of higher priced hotels. We do offer deluxe rooms that are not only larger, but come equipped with micro-fridges, a small work desk and chair, and a lounge chair at a slightly higher rate. We offer free wifi in all of our rooms. Most event planners like to offer our lowest priced rooms, but we are always happy to upgrade for the additional fee.

I do apologize there was an issue when your roommate arrived. The only information we have is what we receive from the housing agents. We will certainly use your feedback to ensure we receive all the names of people sharing rooms in future convention blocks.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

It's now gotten to the point where, at least along the Miracle Mile and River North, it's difficult - if not impossible - to find a hotel room for under $325. True, the Red Roof is not as nicely equipped as others in the area (for cryin' out loud, it's a Red Roof...not a Marriott) but we got a comfortable corner room for just over $200 which included the valet parking. The bathrooms aren't great and there's no fitness center, restaurant, bar, etc., but the room was otherwise very comfortable, especially if you're just staying one or two nights. The location is its best asset, easily accessible to Michigan Avenue, the Loop, Navy Pier, Grant Park, etc. Within the context of what they're charging - and getting - for hotel rooms in downtown Chicago, this is not a bad deal at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim S

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us and others about your stay. I appreciate your comments; however, we do have a restaurant and small bar in the hotel. It is called Coco Pazzo. They not only serve great Italian food, but also have an extensive wine menu. You will definitely have to try it the next you are in Chicago. We will continue to offer a great deal for our guests traveling on a budget.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Was a bit leery after reading reviews but couldn't beat the price overall so went for it. The location was great for walking to major venues, everyone was friendly, the room was clean, things worked, bed was comfy, area was large enough with the necessaties and no added frills which was fine for me. It was a place to come back to to sleep, get ready in the morning and go out for the day. It is not a "modern" hotel - it is an older building made into a hotel - but had everything you needed if all you were looking for is "home base". There is a Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts right across the street and a couple of cafes close by for breakfast so breakfast not included is no big deal. Would stay again. Rather spend my money on fun and food then a place to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank J C

Thank you for allowing us to be your home base. We have a great location, not only for restaurants, coffee, and popcorn (you can’t forget Garrett’s is right across the street), but we are within easy walking distance of Chicago’s favorite attractions.

The Red Roof Inn will continue to offer a great value for those who would rather spend their money on fun, so I look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Location near Michigan Avenue is the biggest plus point of this hotel. Other things- room size, bathroom, service, bed and amenities are average. No breakfast. Pricey considering the amenities but one is basically paying for the locational advantage.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We do have a great location and even though we do not serve breakfast, there are several great places to eat within a block or two. Our staff is here to offer suggestions and assist you in any way we can.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.