The St. Clair Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Peninsula Chicago(Chicago)
$550
The Peninsula
$371
$319
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Palmer House A Hilton Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$211
$253
$229
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$239
$199
  • Breakfast included
$595
$447
$164
GardenInn.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$152
$144
Orbitz.com
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$279
$195
Travelocity
1,145 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel is indeed in a good location, but that is the only positive thing I can say about it. The other complaints made here by other users are true. The hotel is unbelievably dirty and the staff is unfriendly. Moreover, I was robbed there. My passport, my credit cards, and my money, which were INSIDE THE SAFE, were stolen. The hotel manager didn't do anything. She said she was sorry, but there was nothing she could do. Never ever stay in this hotel! It was by far the worst hotel I've ever stay in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Marco_Batalha
RRIChicago, General Manager at The St. Clair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

I am very sorry your stay was not a pleasant one and I understand your dissatisfaction.

We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously. On the very rare occasion a guest reports missing items from a room, whether they were placed in the safe or not, the police are called immediately. In addition, management performs a lock interrogation to ensure no unauthorized keys were used to open the guestroom door. This information is also given to the police to assist them in their investigation.

Our in room safes come with a $10,000 warranty. However, in order for the warranty to be in effect, there has to be some kind of evidence the safe was broken into. If the safe is not shut and locked by the guest, the warranty is void. In your case there was no forced entry as you agreed.

Not only did management assist you in contacting the police to file a report, we also were in contact with your embassy on several occasions to ensure you received the documents you needed to return home. We also helped you in getting a copy of the police report to assist you in filing a claim with your insurance company when you returned to your country. I do regret you feel our assistance was inadequate. We sincerely do everything in our power to assist our guests when there is a problem.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I came down here to Chicago to see a concert. Instead we got lost and needed a place to stay. We choose red roof because it was the only reasonable price. It was the best decision I've made. The service is great, everyone is very friendly. The view is absolutely gorgeous. The area is beautiful many sites to see. Rooms were very clean. Prices are low for how good the hotel itself is. This has been by far the best hotel I've stayed in. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a trip to Chicago. (: <3

Room Tip: The Suites are really nice but If you're just needing a place to sleep the doubles are lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank brittney f
RRIChicago, General Manager at The St. Clair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am very glad that we could be your home away from home for the night after a very stressful and tiring day.

All of the staff is here to assist you in any way we can, including offering driving directions if you are lost. We will continue to offer weary travelers a good value and a clean, comfortable room.

We look forward to the opportunity to be your hosts again the next time you come to Chicago and hope you had a safe and uneventful trip back home.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Currently staying at the red roof inn with a large group here for business. The rooms here are incredibly small with barely any room to walk around or store your stuff. Multiple members of our group have found cockroaches in their rooms and management refused to reclean them. Housekeeping never showed up to the room I'm staying in and didn't even fully clean the room before we checked in. The hotel overall is dirty, outdated, and unsanitary. Seriously disgusted with my entire stay and cannot wait to check out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jenny h

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize. I can certainly understand your dissatisfaction with finding an insect in your room. Even though a manager was not on site when you reported the problem early in Friday morning, you should have been asked for your contact information so that you could be reached as soon as a manager arrived.

Once you returned, we certainly did our best to apologize, take responsibility, and make things right. You were comped your first night before you even returned in the afternoon to speak to a manager. After talking to you and your party, you seemed very satisfied with the complimentary free night, as well as a complimentary upgrade to one of our deluxe rooms. They are much more spacious, especially when there are four people in a room, and had extra amenities such as a micro fridge, desk and lamp, as well as a lounge chair. I know the added room was appreciated.

I can assure that we will take the necessary measures to ensure a similar situation does not happen again in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had 3 families (5 adults, 5 kids) staying here for the last weekend in August. I've read some reviews indicating a small elevator: We got 2 strollers along with at least 3 adults and 3 children each time. 1 stroller was a double-stroller! Our rooms were very clean (remodeled) rooms. We stayed on the side overlooking Michigan/Ontario Aves, I believe on the 9th floor...awesome. We would watch the Garrett's Popcorn line for the best times to get in line :-) One evening we wanted pizza and the front desk staff suggested Giordano's...it was great! We also needed a corkscrew...they had one at the desk, yay! There are no eating facilities on site, but there were plenty to choose from in close proximity. We had a micro-fridge to keep the kids milk and leftovers. We had a housekeeping staff member check on our room for a peculiar smell, we didn't seem to notice...Old building, old smell. Beds/linens were clean. Didn't really notice any noise other than the normal "big city" sounds. If you were in the bathroom of our room it seemed you could hear the neighbors talking in their bathroom, but really not a big deal. We were the first room next to the elevator, not bad really. The valet was great. Remembered us each morning and put a smile on our face. I've stayed in Chicago at least 3 other times (at other hotels) and would come back to this hotel due to it's location and price. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
RRIChicago, General Manager at The St. Clair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you very much for your review and your recommendation.

We are definitely within walking distance of many restaurants, including the one in our hotel, Coco Pazzo. I am sorry that you missed it. Their Italian cuisine is excellent and they offer an extensive wine list. You will definitely have to try them the next time you are here.

We look forward to your return and the opportunity to put even more smiles on your face!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel was part of our package deal for our trip to Chicago. The location can not be beat!! It is convenient to walk everywhere, as long as you have your walking shoes. The train stations are a few blocks away, Navy Pier is close by, and you are right on the Magnificent Mile for shopping.
When we got there, we were early for check-in, but the staff locked up our suitcases for us so that we could explore the city. Upon check-in, we went up to our room and were greeted by a mechanic in our room fixing a toilet. We ended up back down in the lobby for about 30 minutes while he finished up.
Once in our room, we were pleased to find that we had 1.5 bathrooms. However, we quickly learned that the 1/2 bath was the one with the issues because it reeked of a sewage smell. Thankfully we didn't have to use that bathroom at all and the small stayed contained with the door closed.
We paid extra for the king bedroom suite which had a bedroom and separate living room area. This also meant we had 2 TVs so we wouldn't bother the other person in the morning if one of us woke up early.
One drawback to the location of the hotel is that it is across the street from the hospital. When we were in our room during the day, you would hear a siren at least every 10-20 minutes. Thankfully, we were out of our room most days. In the evenings, we noticed that the sirens sounded A LOT less frequently and neither of us were woken up overnight.
The staff were all very friendly and willing to offer suggestions on where to eat, what to do, give directions, and more. I would stay at this hotel again based on the location alone. You can not beat where it is as long as you are able to walk around. It is not high end at all, but great for young people and those on a budget.

Room Tip: We paid an extra $15 a night for the king suite. This suite, as stated above, had 1.5 bathrooms, a living room with a hide-a-bed couch, 2 TVs, a fridge, a microwave, and a king bed. Well worth the upgrade! The rooms closer to Michigan Ave or on the back side of the building would be quieter because the hospital was right across the street. The sirens didn't bother us though at night (but they were loud and constant when we were in our room during the day). As long as you are out and about, noise shouldn't be a problem.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We do offer a great value to those traveling on a budget or with a family. Our location is one of the best in Chicago and our staff is here to ensure you have a pleasant stay.

I do apologize your room was not ready when you arrived and appreciate your patience while we fixed the problem. I am glad that you enjoyed the added features of our suites. I agree that it well worth the few dollars more.

I look forward to having you stay with us again when you return to the Windy City.