“Fantastic Location/ Dirty Rooms”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #161 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Plus: Incredible location. Overly friendly, efficient staff. Free WiFi (with great tech staff if you cannot connect at first try) Minus: dirty rooms. Chipped paint in the showers. Dirty carpets. Paper thin walls. Very noisy. Red Roof has certainly got the location. This ancient hotel sits mere feet from the heart of Michigan Avenue, shopping, restaurants and only five minutes from Lake Shore Drive. The staff at this hotel are friendly, helpful and quite knowledgeable about the city, the area around the hotel and seem to go out of their way to make every guest feel welcome. Unfortunately, this hotel is dirty, and is in desperate need of new carpets, new bathrooms, new tiles, new windows, new everything. It also needs a full-time cleaning staff who understand how to clean and hotel and make it stay that way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SummitHouse
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with the entire staff. There is no excuse for a lack of cleanliness and I can assure you I will take the necessary measures to improve. A clean room is a very basic guest expectation.

I am glad that our service to you was satisfactory and met your expectations. We are all here to serve you and to ensure you have a pleasant stay.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed 6 nights at the Red Roof Inn downtown Chicago. As you will notice, the location is great. You can easily reach walking many of the attractive highlights of the city.
The place is quiet and the rooms small, but tidy. The lobby is kind of a cozzy space for waiting guests while talking to some visitors or watching sports at the TV.
The rooms suffer a little bit from its small size and some details are not well covered (i.e. I asked for hangers a couple of times and they never arrived, I had to insist to replace the soap bar by a new one and so on). Eventually, things get done. Some more attention to cleaning would be preferred as well.
Overall, it could be a simple "good" hotel, but its unbeatable price and location convinced me to give it a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RM00184

I sincerely appreciate you taking your valuable time to post a review. There is no doubt we have a wonderful location.

I apologize your request for more hangers was not immediately addressed. It is our goal to get things done as soon as possible and not eventually, so we will definitely work on improving our response time in the future.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity to be serving you again.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I recently stay there on 10.20.12, Overall i was pleased with the quality of my room, it was clean. the problem i had is a mjor billing issue and a lack of managment to rectify the problem. I was callled by my bank on sunday morning the day of check out and they explained that Red Roof Inn had charged my credit card twice for the room, which was $190 X 2 making for a grand total of $380 for one night. After receiving the call from my bank, I immediately went down to the front desk to get the second charged removed. the attendant explained to me at 9:50 am that the only person that could fix it was the manager and he was do in at 10:00 am. They called the manager at 10:00 am as he wasnt there and he didn't answer the phone, they left him a message telling him it was urgent. They then called at least 4 for times in the next 30 minutes and he never answered of returned the calls. They finally got ahold of him at like 10:40 am and he said he would be in in 20 minutes to deal with it. So he finally got in at like 11:05 am(less than an hour till checkout) and over an hour late to work. the manager was less then helpful and really acted like he didnt want to deal with it, cause he had to fill out paperwork and fax it to my bank. So instead if talking with me through this he hid out in the back office and it wasnt' till i demanded to speak with him that he came out from the office. Anyway my bank was diligent enough to fix the problem, without much help from the hotel that had made the mistake. The was exttremely frustrating and a terrible way to spend my last morning in chicago. This all couldve been advoided first had they not charged my card twice or if a manager was reachable or came to work on time..

1  Thank Bluegrassrambler
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Please let me apologize for the issue with your credit card and the lack of management response when the problem was reported. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Even though there is a manager on duty more than 12 hours every day, there are times when we are not at the hotel. However, we should always be available by phone. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused you and understand your frustration.

I will certainly investigate why two authorizations were obtained for your stay and take the necessary steps to ensure that does not happen again in the future. I am glad the issue was resolved, but regret we were not more responsive and helpful. Please accept my apologies.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Okay look it's a Red Roof Inn so what should you expect. Rooms are small. Bathroom smaller. The location is great for Michigan Ave shopping. Lots of little things lacking attention to detail make it seemed run down. Dust, spiders in corners, oh and the cockroach in the bathroom didn't help.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your review.

There is no excuse for dust or insects in our rooms. I sincerely apologize. I can assure you that much more attention to detail will be given. I appreciate your feedback. Your comments will be shared with the entire staff and we will improve our performance.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I see from some of the other reviewers that they were put into old rooms with bad plumbing. I didn't find that to be the case at all. Yes, the building is obviously from days gone by, but our room was fresh and remodeled--fresh paint, nice new floors, new beds and linens, new dresser and table. The bathroom was small, but everything worked just fine.

Yes, the room was small, but it was manageable, even with 3 of us. We pulled out the ironing board, set it up against the wall, and it provided another place to put luggage. I would definitely stay here again if I were to return to Chicago. The price can't be beat for downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Maude59

Thank you for your review. I am glad your stay was a pleasant one and you enjoyed one of our recently renovated rooms.

The Red Roof Inn is located in an historic building constructed nearly a century ago. Our standard rooms are compact, but we do offer larger deluxe rooms at a slightly higher rate. They come complete with a work desk and chair, as well as a lounge chair and micro-fridge.

We are a great value. Our location is fantastic and our staff is ready to serve you. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Red Roof in from 10/16/12 until 10/17/12. It was the only reasonably priced room available in Chicago that night. Something must have been going on in town because most rooms were in the $225-700 range for a Tuesday night! I booked the room on Cheapostay for $90.00, which is a great deal for downtown Chicago. The hotel is also in a great location. Only a block from Michigan Avenue and walking distance to Navy Pier.
We arrived early and were able to store our luggage while we walked around town. We were also able to check in slightly early (2pm instead of 4pm).
The room itself was very small (which is fine), but was very old and in need of renovation. The sheets seemed clean, but the room seemed like someone did a quick once-over instead of a thorough cleaning. The biggest disappointment was the bathroom. There was hair in various places. The toilet barely flushed and the bathtub drain was about 90% clogged. I took a 2 minute shower and was up to my ankles in water, which took at least 15 minutes to drain. I also did not get any hot water from the shower.
The bathroom light was on the outside of the room and there was no exhaust fan either.
When we returned to the hotel after dinner and a show, we let the front desk person know about our plumbing issues. She apologized, but said there were no other rooms available. We did not hear anything more about it and basically let it go because we were checking out the next day.
I would suggest renovating all of the rooms completely and firing the housekeeping manager. Perhaps a visit from the show "Hotel Impossible" is in order here....???

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you for your review. The Red Roof Inn does offer a great value and our location is one of the best in downtown Chicago. No matter what price you pay, as our guest, you deserve a clean room that is well maintained.

I apologize you were disappointed in your stay. It is apparent your bathroom was not cleaned to our standards and there were plumbing issues. I am very sorry and sincerely appreciate your feedback. I understand your disappointment and will step up the housekeeping and maintenance inspections in our rooms to ensure this does not happen in the future. I will share your comments with the entire staff. Our goal is to exceed our guests’ expectations, not just meet them. We obviously failed during your stay.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn over this past weekend from Friday to Tuesday, and it was exactly what we expected and what we were looking for: clean, basic, few-frills accommodation in an excellent location. There's a Starbucks across the street and a Corner Bakery, 7-11, and Dunkin Donuts all within a block away - and the Magnificent Mile is literally a block away too. All the biggie architectural landmarks are within walking distance too! And although their website is technically correct in saying that there's no on-site parking, it's misleading in a way disadvantageous to the hotel because they offer excellent valet service at a cheaper price than the self-parking lot at the Marriott Courtyard across the street.

The room was small, but again - clean, basic, and comfortable. The A/C worked wonderfully, the beds were comfy, and the pillows were *excellent* - no tired bags of old pudding here. The bathroom was old but clean - and I'll take old and clean over new and dirty any day. Nice hot water pressure and temperature too.

Our only (very minor) complaints? Our room key cards kept dying - we had to get new cards programmed literally every day. I don't know if we're just particularly magnetic people or what, but at least the front desk staff never had a problem issuing us new cards on the spot so it was never that much of a hassle. And it would be nice if the wifi didn't make you re-login every time you put your phone to sleep for a second, but the signal was always strong and easy to connect to.

HUGE shout out to Brenda at the front desk, who was always a treat no matter what time of the day or night!

We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the windows are sealed shut, so it really doesn't matter which way you face.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post a review. I am glad your stay with us was a pleasant one. You certainly can walk to most of the major attractions in Chicago and with all of the restaurants within a block or two, you will not go hungry.

Our 24 hour valet parking service is very convenient for our guests. You can drive right up to the front of the hotel and leave your keys with the attendant. When you need your car all you have to do is call the front desk and it will be delivered to you in a few minutes. I do apologize your room keys deprogrammed. I am sure it was your magnetic personalities, but cell phones, museum security systems, or magnetized purse closures can have a negative effect on the programming.

We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago. I know Brenda and the rest of the staff are eager to serve you again.

Heidi Cordes

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Cambria Hotel & Suites Chicago Magnificent Mile
Red Roof Inn Chicago - O'Hare Ai...
#6 of 10 in Arlington Heights
Inn of Chicago
Inn of Chicago
#146 of 192 in Chicago
Courtyard by Marriott Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!