“Won't refund for early check out”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #162 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was going to give this hotel a favorable rating but a change in plans required me to leave early. I gave the hotel enough notice to cancel my last night but they refuse to give me a refund. So location is great, room was adequate but the fact that I had to pay for a night that I didn't use is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Higher floors have minimal street noise
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your review and I apologize for the issue you had by leaving a day early. We understand that emergencies arise and guests have to shorten the length of their stays. Unless your reservation was made through a third party website and was nonrefundable, I cannot think of a reason you would be charged for a night you did not stay. If we were notified of your early departure by noon we would not charge you for an extra night.

Even when a guest does not pay us directly for their stay and has to leave prior to their scheduled departure date, we are happy to contact the online booking agent on their behalf to request a refund. In the vast majority of these cases a refund is issued, but it really depends on the rules of that particular website. We will do everything n our power to assist you in getting a refund.

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile

Reviewed August 17, 2012

The main issue I had was the broken air conditioning: it would not shut off. When I arrived it was 59 degrees in my room. I tried everything to shut it off but it just kept running and running. I called the front desk for help and they said they would see what they can do and then call me back. After waiting for a while I decided I was so tired (I arrived after midnight) that I would just deal with it for one night by closing the door between the bedroom and the front room and sleeping on the pull-out bed in the couch. I went to the front desk and requested help with this every day but it never got fixed. At one point it was 55 degrees in the bedroom. It was also very gross to find random hairs stuck to the walls and chairs. My head is shaved so there is no doubt they weren't mine. Add that to the generally run-down appearance of the hotel and you feel like you don't want to touch anything.

2  Thank LazyBum
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize the air conditioner was not functioning properly in your room. Fifty nine degrees is very uncomfortable and I understand your dissatisfaction. The fact you reported the problem and we were unable to resolve it is very disappointing. We do not have maintenance personnel on staff after midnight, but we certainly could have moved you to another room if one was available or assisted in some other way rather than allowing you to endure an uncomfortable night. There is no excuse the issue was not fixed the following morning and I am truly sorry. In addition, from your description your room was also not cleaned properly. I will share your comments with every department and take the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

I regret you did not have a pleasant stay, but the Red Roof Inn has undergone some major changes this year. All of our rooms have new wall and window treatments, new beds and bedding, and are equipped with flat screen TVs, coffee makers, hair dryers, and irons and ironing boards. There is new carpet and laminate wood flooring in most of our guest rooms. The also lobby underwent a complete renovation, as well.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at the Red Roof in with my 93 year old dad and 15 year old daughter. We found bed bugs in our room (apparently the Red Roof Inn is famous for bed bugs and everyone knew but my family!). When I trapped the bug on my pillow with a glass and took it to the manager he seemed oh so suprised and said that it was probably brought in from customers from "over seas". He moved us to a different room where I inspected every surface with a book light. I found dirty bedding. It took the manager (the only staff member at work that night) 2 trips and 1 1/2 hours to bring the proper clean bedding. BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank jill g
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize. I understand your dissatisfaction and concern. Any report of insects in a room is considered very serious at our hotel. Quick and decisive action is taken. The reported room is immediately put out of order. A professional pest elimination company is called to thoroughly inspect the room and treat if necessary. It is very rare when bed bugs are actually found.

There is little any hotel can do to prevent bed bugs since they are brought into the hotel in or on luggage or shipment boxes. No hotel is immune, but Red Roof is proactive by having our entire staff trained in recognizing the signs of bed bugs. In addition, we conduct daily visual inspections in our rooms. We want our guests to have confidence if a problem is reported, we will react quickly.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel to avoid paying the huge price at the conference hotel very close by. If you stay here, expect the basics of a budget hotel. The room was nicely decorated and the front desk staff were very helpful. The room was clean overall.

Cons: The hotel is a bit shabby. One of the lights was not working in my room, which made it very dark. I also had similar problems with the TV that others have written about. I could not get it to turn on with the remote or button on the console. I would suggest soundproofed doors to the room. I could hear other guests in the hall and closing their doors all night long.

The hotel is the right price for a great location. I probably won't stay here again, but glad I tried it out.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and know that not all rooms have a fridge.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

I appreciate you taking your valuable time to post a review.

I sincerely apologize one of the lights was not working in your room during your stay. This is something that should have been reported and addressed prior to your arrival. Our flat screen televisions do have a 5 or 6 second delay when the power button on the remote or the console is pushed. This is due to providing a combination of both satellite and cable services. The communication between the two systems takes a few seconds. I am sorry for the inconvenience and hope you will consider staying with us again. The Red Roof Inn offers a great value and wonderful location. We will continue to provide an affordable option for the budget conscious traveler coming to Chciago.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

After living in Chicago 15 years and never staying a hotel, I recently returned and stayed here because it was close to where i needed to be and they accept pets. I was familiar with the location as I used to live and work very near by, I should have expected the chaos. Know that you are directly by the Northwestern Emergency Room entrance, and there will be lots of sirens. There are also tons of cab drivers honking at all hours of the day and night because it's a bit of a traffic cluster due to the stop signs/pedestrian/taxi ratio. The location is great for a Mag Mile visit especially if you don't want to pay for the extras. The property is older and small but well maintained. I paid for a better room which was recently renovated and I had no issue with the comfort level. It was clean. We had a nice TV and free wifi. The bathroom was tiny. The lobby is very tight, and this place is super busy in the summer so be prepared to jam in with a bunch of other guests to check-in/out. The valet parking was good but your car is parked several blocks away so it could take a while to get it. Don't be in a hurry or you might snap. Better yet, don't drive if you don't have to. I had to since it was a road trip. The elevator is slow and there was only one I think so if you are on a high floor you might have to wait. The only issue I had was with other guests and the hotel did offer me a credit for my pain. Basically it was filled with drunken Tigers fans the night we were there and a crazy couple got into a serious brawl in the hallway outside my room for over 3 hours. Never heard anything quite like that, complete with smashing bottles and slamming doors. Called the desk three times and the woman would come up, however it continued for over 3 hours in the middle of the night. The walls are very solid otherwise, I didn't hear anything from any other rooms above or below. The price is lower than most other mag mile hotels in peak season so it's busy. If you want a place to crash and run around and you don't get annoyed by things like I described, this is a great choice!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the alley might be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank world_in_my_eyes

Thank you for your review. At Red Roof Inn we welcome all members of your family, including the four legged ones. After living 15 years in Chicago, I am sure this was a very different experience for you.
I am very sorry the Detroit fans were rowdy and noisy. We want all of our guests to enjoy their stay, but not at the expense of other guests. If we receive a noise complaint, it is our policy to give the offending party one and only one courtesy call. If the noise persists, they are asked to leave and are escorted off of the property. I truly regret this policy was not followed during your stay and I can assure you the necessary measures will be taken to prevent this in the future. I hope you will stay with us again when you take another road trip.

Heid Cordes

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Michael did a wonderful job serving us! He warmed up our breakfast with their own personal microwave and allowed us to store our luggage even after I checked out! Highly recommended! Great value!! The manager was wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Redwall312

I will certainly share your comments with Michael and the rest of the staff. He does do a wonderful job and is very popular with our guests. All of us here at the Red Roof Inn will do everything we can to accommodate our guests’ requests and ensure they have a positive experience while away from home.

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The room was clean, although we did have a couple of snaffoo's with one of the housekeepers during our stay. They were easily and quickly corrected by the front desk staff who absolutely rocked! The front desk staff were helpful, friendly and did everything they could to make our stay a good one. Dominique & Nikita were fantastic - thank you girls!! The room was nice, comfortable and was the perfect location for what we wanted to do. The A/C worked, but was really loud & noisy. We could walk to any of the Magnificent Mile stores, Millenium Park, Navy Pier, etc. You can walk out the door and get a cab hailed by one of the "on the ball" valet men to get where you need to be, or turn in any direction and anything you could want to eat or drink is within a block or two. A little farther and you can find more. A few blocks from the Double Decker Bus/trolleys, so we could walk or hop on/off to get where we wanted to be. We were told by our cabbie on the way there that it was one of the oldest hotels inChicago (not sure if he was accurate with his facts or not as he was questionable himself?!), but you can tell it is an older hotel. The elevators and hallways are not big, but they are well maintained and clean. We had a great stay, it is a great location, and would would easily stay here again. The price was right for everything.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Although I am sorry that you experienced a couple of issues during your stay, I am pleased we were able to resolve them to your satisfaction. I agree that our front desk staff rocks and the entire staff is here to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay while they are with us.

The Red Roof Inn has a wonderful location and you are within easy walking distance of many of Chicago’s favorite attractions. Our recent renovation has made our rooms more comfortable with new beds and bedding, as well as new carpet and laminate wood flooring. We still have the flat screen TVs, irons, ironing boards, coffee makers, and hairdryers in every room.

Nikita, Dominique, and the rest of the team look forward to the opportunity to serve you again when you travel to Chicago.