“Nice location, average room”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #70 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Mobile, Al.
“Nice location, average room”
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Stayed for 3 nights at the Intercontinental. We had 2 rooms with 2 double beds. Rooms were on the small side (bed was up against walls);rooms needed a good cleaning. Dust was on the lamps and alarm clock;shower drained slowly. Beds were comfortable. Room temp varied. We had the thermostat set on 65, yet woke up sweating. Did not eat at hotel, but there is a Starbucks adjacent to the property, which was great for breakfast.
Bottom line- there are plenty of hotels to choose from along the Magnificent Mile, and I would choose a different hotel the next time I am in Chicago.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — beds against wall;room size and cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank hudgens08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My husband and I recently returned from our Midwestern vacation. While in Chicago, we stayed at the InterContinental for three nights. We were pleasantly surprised. Our first and second choice hotels were booked due to the NeoCon Conference, but we agreed that we would stay at the InterContinental next time instead of the Monaco or the Burnham because our room was very nice, the location perfect, and the view was great; even though the price is noticeably higher than the other two hotels ($230).

We were on the 26th floor and had a corner room looking across to the Tribune and Wriggly Buildings and also to Lake Michigan from the other window. The king bed and pillows were very comfortable as was the room temperature. The room itself seemed to be recently updated, clean, and quiet. The front desk and housekeeping were very friendly and efficient. We liked the fact that we could choose to use our same sheets for two nights and save a bit of energy. We didn’t use the pool or the gym or the restaurant because we had so much fun being out and about in the city.

We would recommend the Inter Continental to other travelers not only for its amenities, but also for its location to shopping, restaurants, and sightseeing.

• Liked — bed and linens, location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jbsarts
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2007

In its heyday, this is the kind of hotel that my grandparents would have been thrilled to stay at. But my grandparents have been dead for 20 years, and they lived well into their 80s.

Suffice it to say that this hotel's best days ended during the Eisenhower administration -- which is not to say that they have not tried to update and upgrade things. The rooms are comfortable enough. The beds have 4-star bedding and the bathrooms have very nice toiletries. The staff is generally quite helpful.

Nevertheless, on a good day, this is a 3.5 star hotel. Yet, it tries to pretend that it is up there with the Four Seasons. If you're paying priceline rates, you'll be happy with the value. If you're paying business rates, however, your money is better spent elsewhere.

A final, positive note: It's hard to beat this hotel's location in terms of proximity to shopping and dining. It's just north of the loop in the heart of the main upscale shopping district on Michigan Ave.

1 Thank jackosan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Was slated for two nights in Chicago, June 12 - 14, 2007. I could onyl get the Intercon for both nights. I booked a handicapped room since that was they had left. After reading other reviews of the property, I decided to move it from two nights to one, and stay the second night at the Hotel Monaco.

Of course, upon check-in, I was given a suite. Nice room, great linens, clean bathroom, and very quiet. Parking is really high ($48). I understand some peopel saying the rooms need to be updated, but everything was clean and worked well. At ,ost, the rooms were a bit dark.

I had a late night drink at the bar, which was reasonably priced. i did not eat there, but the menu seemed pretty good, albeit with the typical hotel mark-ups to be expected.

In all, I thought the place was everything I needed, and was very happy with the room, the staff, the linens, and the housekeeping. Much better than others have indicated.

1 Thank BizTravelDC
Memphis, TN
Reviewed June 10, 2007

I recently attended a business meeting for my company that was held at this hotel. I also was a guest at the hotel during the meeting. I agree with many of the other visitors who have written reviews for this hotel. The hotel is nice, but for the price I paid per night I really expected more. The hotel has a very nice lobby, is in a wonderful location, the pool was beautiful and not very crowded, and my room was fine. Although the meeting rooms were very nice, the food served during the business meeting was just okay. The service during the meetings appeared to be superb. My issue with my stay was house keeping. Housekeeping came very late in the day. When they finally made it to my room, they remove what toilet paper was left and did not leave a new roll. Luckily, there are tissues available until I located more toilet paper, which was hidden in the top of the closet. I am also somewhat allergic to feather pillows. The first night I was too tired and it was too late to wait to get more pillows, so I dealt with them. The second night, I remembered at about 10 pm at night that I needed foam pillows. I called to their "Instant Service" and made my request. The lady who took my request took me, "We'll get to it when we can." I was pretty shocked to hear such a comment at this type of hotel. After 30 minutes had passed with no pillows, I called back and told a gentleman that I was still waiting after 30 minutes for my pillows and I wanted to go to bed. After another 15 minutes and still no pillows, I called back and was quite upset this time. I told the lady I wanted the pillows immediately. My requested pillows finally arrived 5 minutes later. I only waited for 50 minutes to receive them!

1 Thank alturner007
Miami
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I had booked (in advance) a king non-smoking standard room directly through the hotel. Upon check in, they told us they had "none available". I couldn't believe this! To appease us, they offered us a suite in a smoking room, or a double in a non-smoking room. I'm sure you can imagine we chose the suite. So we theoretically, got a chance to see the best this hotel offered.

I was not particularly impressed. The TVs weren't flat panel, the showers had no pressure (we had 2 bathrooms in the suite believe it or not), and the toilet looked like it was from the 70's with an institional flush handle like in schools. Paint was poorly applied in the hallways. To top it off, the hotel charged you an extra fee to use the gym (but not the pool). This infuriated me. I think it's a cheap move. Charge more for the room, and build it into the price then! Lastly, the elevators were terribly slow, and the restaurant was sub-par.

Not to sound like a total complainer, there were a few important things on the upside: the location was great, and the pool was very unique... a must see.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The slow elevators, and the gym charge
  • Stayed June 2007
2 Thank Miamiheat1
London, UK
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I have to agree with other reviewers who find the Intercontinental in Chicago to be a bit below par. To be clear, I didn't have a bad stay; it just wasn't as nice as I would expect given the price I paid ($239 per night). I was there for five nights, so I was able to see a good cross-section of service standards.

What is good:
-The location. Fantastic. Can't be beat. You are right across the street from the Nordstrom's on Michigan Avenue.
-The pool is a beautiful junior Olympic-size pool. Very nice and not too crowded when I was there.
-Extremely pleasant and helpful bell staff.
-Quiet room. There was a fairly long (albeit dark) hallway in my room between the bedroom and the front door. That meant that I couldn't hear any noise from the hallway at all.
-Big desk area. I was in Chicago on business and had to do a lot of work in my room and the big desk was very useful for this. Why, though, do they have a fax machine on it?
-The wine bar on the ground floor. Nice wine list, good cheese selection, very nice staff.
-Comfy bed. Good linens, good pillows, good mattress. I would have slept like the dead if it wasn't for the problematic climate control (see below)

What they need to work on:
-The gym. It is cramped, poorly ventilated, and not very well equipped. Either improve the facilities or don't charge for them.
-Pricey wifi. US$10 per day.
-The rooms need to be redecorated. Mine was looking a bit tired. One of the hinges on the TV cabinet was broken, they still had a massive CRT TV in the room, not a nice, compact LCD TV. The bathroom was a bit tired (why is there no place to hang a hand towel near the sink?), though the lighting was o.k. The doorbell for my room was broken, so it was hard to hear a knock at the door.
-Inconsistent housekeeping staff. Some days, it was great. Other days, they didn't replenish the toiletries, give me any fresh wash cloths, or restock the minibar. In fact, my minibar wasn't restocked at all during my 5-day stay!
-Climate control in the room. It was extremely warm for much of my stay and I just couldn't get the air conditioning to cool down the room.
-The breakfast buffet. Expensive, the food wasn't great, and the waitstaff were slow and not very responsive to guests' needs.

I also have to agree with people who have commented that they felt like the Intercontinental wanted to find any excuse to get more money from you. It starts with the gym and wifi. The minibar prices are really extortionate. What finally pushed me over the edge was being asked to pay $35 for a late checkout--at 2pm! I completely understand if you want to check out at 4pm that some sort of charge is reasonable, but 2pm?!? When you've spent over $1500 in the hotel already?!? Very cheeky. I wasn't impressed.

If you get a good deal on the room, you probably won't have a bad stay (I certainly didn't). Just don't arrive expecting to be pampered in the same way that you might in other properties.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business