“Very highly recommended”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Spent two nights at the InterContinental on a business trip.

This is a tremendous, towering hotel in one of the best locations in Chicago – right on the Magnificent Mile and superbly convenient for shopping and well placed for the business area.

My room was in the Historic Tower – a 1920s Masonic Club which has been converted at enormous expense. The effort has been worthwhile.

My room was very large and well furnished, with a beautiful bathroom which contained a separate shower cubicle. It had breathtaking views down Michigan Avenue.

There is a superb recreation centre (with an impressive swimming pool) beautiful bars and a good restaurant, Zest, that serves a great breakfast.

There is wifi in the rooms ($9.95 per day) and tea and coffee making facilities. No trouser press, but there is an ironing board and iron. The staff is friendly and anxious to please.

I recommend this hotel in the strongest possible terms. It’s expensive, but it will be difficult to find a better one in Chicago.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Willow3b
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed March 8, 2006

The location is great, but I was surprised this is a luxury hotel. The rooms are very small, the sheets and towels are not high quality, and the room service took 2 min just to answer the phone. I would rather stay at the Lennox suites and pay half the price for twice the room.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank TravelingMan577
Reviewed March 5, 2006

I stayed in the historic tower and loved my stay (cost was $179 per night). It is close to everything and the room was large and comfortable. They have an amazing pool and workout area. I would highly recommend this hotel as long as you stay in the historic tower.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank kelley-joBerkeley
Reviewed March 3, 2006

Stayed at the InterContinental for an entire week on business and for the most part a very elegant, convenient visit. Stayed in the historic tower. Very nice rooms, great view, attentive staff, convenient location just north of the Tribune Tower & the river, and nice fitness club at $16 for the entire stay.

The only downside is I couldn't get over the feeling that I was being nickle & dimed: $10 a day for Wi-Fi, $6 bottles of water in the room, $26 mini-bottle of wine in the fridge, tipping multiple staff for carrying the same bags, etc. Their in-house restaurant Zest is Zagat rated though I'm not sure why. Within a 5 minute walk there are plenty of great restaurants with much better food than Zest.

But, next time I need to be near the Loop I'd stay at the InterContinental again.

5  Thank JSRPhx
Reviewed February 11, 2006

OK, let me start by saying that the Intercontinental is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! It is beautiful, full of historic charm and peaceful. If you are looking for a place that really is in the middle of everything on the Mag Mile this is it. Our room was fantastic. We opted for the historic tower king bedroom with a city view. My wife and I loved the interior of the room. It was clean and tastefully decorated. Our bed was extremely comfortable, making it hard to escape from in the morning! Best of all the view was amazing. We had a great view of the Wrigely and Tribune buildings. We were also able to see the river and lake Michigan.

Now, the reason I give this hotel an above average...Zest. The Intercontinental should start from scratch on this one. At first glance the decor is very cool. On closer inspection you realize the furnishings are sub-par. They could have done better buying everything at IKEA. The food is average and overpriced. We opted for a breakfast included package on our room. However I think I would have felt like I got ripped off if I paid full price for it. $50 for eggs and OJ! The second day we went there we opted for the buffet which was insane. During our stay there was a business conference and a couple of weddings at the hotel. This meant a full house and Zest was not prepared. We waited in line for about 20 minutes to get bacon and eggs only to get to the eggs and have them taken away for a refill that never came! I could go on and on but the best piece of advice would be to skip it. There are a lot of great places for breakfast and other meals in the area. Billy Goat offers breakfast for under $5 and it's worth the classic Chicago experience.

To sum it up stay at the Intercontinental and skip Zest. Save the extra mony for Cole Haan, Neiman Marcus or Crate and Barrel!

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank StripesTTiger
Reviewed February 9, 2006

We recently had our January sales meeting at the Intercontinental Hotel and our group was very happy with the stay. The hotel sales department was very accommodating for our needs, even extending several of the team's stays for 2-4 days at our negotiated price.

The location was perfect, right on the Magnificent Mile. Definitely a great place for a meeting in Chicaog.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Belasaria
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I would have to say after reading the TripAdvisor reviews from Oct. 2005, I was very concerned about my upcoming scheduled hotel reservation. Much to my surprise the hotel was very nice. I stayed in the Historic Towers on the 18th floor. Checking in/out was a smooth transaction, friendly staff, large room, seperate marble bath and shower, great location, breathing taking view of the city and lake. I am so glad that I went ahead and kept my reservations for this hotel. I am looking forward to my next stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2005