“The historic tower at the Intercontinental Hotel Chicago was great!”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #70 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
AR
“The historic tower at the Intercontinental Hotel Chicago was great!”
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated. We loved the view of Lake Michigan and of the Chicago Tribune tower. All the staff were very helpful, and the room was spotless. I complimented the housekeeper's service at the desk on our check out. The travertine in the large bathroom was exquisite. It was a business trip, but the hotel made us feel like we were on vacation. Thank you. Janeen

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (894)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
JOHNSTOWN, PA
Reviewed August 29, 2009

I have stayed here before and I love this hotel. It is so beautiful and in a great location. I visit Chicago yearly for a Leadership Summit and I stay here or the Embassy Suites depending on which is offered.

First the bad, everything is extra here. Internet, fitness center and just about everything else. I never leave home without the laptop and work while I'm away but I did not purchase internet at the hotel. The headquarters hotel that the conference was at had free internet hot spots so I took my netbook there and worked between sessions and at the end of the day. I just can't see paying $12.95 a day when I'm only using it an hour or two.

I did not get to tour the hotel this time even though I swore I would but I did check out the pool and it was beautiful. The security guard recommended that you go to the old section and start on the 8th floor and walk all the way down checking out each floor. Hopefully next year.

This trip I did get to see rooms in both the old and new sections. My traveling partner was in the new section in room 1062. The room was small but beautiful and very clean. If they took the couch out it would feel like you had a lot more room. She was very happy with her room.

I stayed in the historic section in room 2415. My room wasn't ready when we got there but we were early and they were very busy. It was ready about 1/2 hour after the promised time, about 4 pm. My room was large and had a very big bathroom with a separate shower. Again this hotel is very clean. Water was $6.95 a bottle and the mini bar was way overpriced even for a hotel. A stop at Walgreens fixed that.

The bed was comfy and once I got to sleep I never woke up at night or heard any of the neighbors. The room was just plain wonderful. I had a king bed and there were 4 big fluffy pillows on the bed. My husband would have loved it. I need a firm pillow and always travel with my contour pillow. I had a semi-river view and it was pretty. There was a great old building across from my room that I had a view of and it was nice.

Finally a hotel with good TV channels. I was so tired at the end of the day I couldn't even read so I enjoyed falling asleep to the TV. The person I traveled with this year kept me pretty busy and I got to see a little more of Chicago then I usually do.

One item noted by myself and my friend was that even though we hung the towels up to reuse they replaced them. If you are not going to conserve water by letting the guests reuse towels then don't put the little cards in that say you will. Good selection of soap and shampoo and stuff. They offered both bar soap and bath gel. I hate when hotels cheap out and only offer bar soap. There is a blow drier there for those who like to know. I didn't use it so don't know how strong it is.

There is also a coffee maker in the bathroom that makes the little pots of coffee. I did use this every morning before hitting Starbucks.

All the hotel staff was helpful and friendly. Starbucks was not crowded in the morning this trip as in the past so we had a nice coffee on our walk to the conference.

All in all if you want to stay in a beautiful hotel in Chicago whose prices are pretty much par with the rest, stay here. My first choice is the Embassy Suites because of the free internet and breakfast which saves my travel budget but for beauty you can not compare to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2009

We got a great deal on Hotwire for this hotel. Fantastic location. Helpful and friendly staff. Beautiful swimming pool. Very nice room. I really liked this hotel, it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Purchase, New York
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was my third stay at this hotel. Here's the good. The location is unbeatable, putting the Loop, Aert Institute, Navy Pier, River North restaurants, and Magnificent Mile shopping, within blocks. The pool, which is in a Moorish themed room of palatial size, is the grandest I have ever encountered in a downtown hotel in an American city. Beautifully tiled, immaculate and up to ten feet deep. The buffet breakfast is of high quality with made to order eggs and omelettes, warm quiches, bread pudding, and a meat of the day, The rooms are comfortable and elegant, if not quite luxurious
Here's the not so good.
Parking was $53, not the quoted $50 when I made the reservation. I made the reservation through the property, as an Intercontinental Ambassador, but I did not receive the requisite upgrade. (Maybe I should have used Priceline and paid a lot less if this is how they treat "Ambassadors"). When I complained, the hotel did offer a suite in the less desirable new wing, instead of our two connecting rooms, but the bed configuration was unsuitable. Free internet which was offered as part of the Ambassador package was not available. The hotel offered a free in-room movie instead. Although the pool was free, the fitness center imposed a $12 daily charge (or $16 per stay) On departure, we discovered that we had been charged a gratuity for the breakfasts (which were included in our package). We had left cash gratuities each morning and were dismayed at this charge, which was imposed without our knowledge. The hotel also charged for one day's breakfast, claiming we had eaten after 11, nearly two hours after we had left the hotel. All these charges were removed, but we had to get past front desk staff, and speak to a supervisor. The whole experience left a very bad taste in our mouths. Also, it cost me over $20 to print four boarding passes and check my e-mail in the business center/
So go with your eyes open and your hands on your wallet. Ask for the historic tower. Don't bring a car unless absolutely necessary,

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Outstanding hotel in all ways. Extremely well-managed and maintained hotel. Superb room with view of Lake Michigan on two sides. Service was very strong, especially room service, housekeeping, and the concierge desk. All three were very responsive, flexible and pleasant. The hotel had everything you could want, a concierge desk that knows all of the good restaurants, a great bar and restaurant, a Starbucks, and exceptional location in an exceptional city. The recent renovation of the hotel has it in tip-top shape. And bring your sneakers and swimsuit when you visit. They have a great health club and beautiful pool.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We very much enjoyed the stay at the hotel. The room had a clean decor, the hotel staff truely helpful. The hotel is very well located I could just walk to all attractions. Five star service in my experience. I will return...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2009

What can I say - great location and an amazing historic hotel and a bargain at $99 per night for a deluxe room.
But a few negatives - concierge pretty unhelpful, staff in ENO - wine, cheese and chocolate tasting room completely stuck up!! Our room had no view at all just building opposite and when we enquired about a move told nothing available - can't quite believe that in a hotel with 792 rooms!
Good points - lovely bathroom with great toiletries, pool is amazing, fast wi fi connection, charming helpful bellboys, location is awsome - just a step away from all the shops and restaurants in North Michigan Avenue area, and a short walk to the lake.
Would definitely return.