“Romantic gem on Michigan Avenue but be prepared to walk for better dining & drinking options.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Chicago

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #74 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We could not have asked for a nicer room, better service, or a better location for $125 a night. It was only a $8.00 cab ride from Union Station, too, which by the way I would highly recommend taking a train to Chicago. Parking prices seemed ridiculous & the driving was very crazy! We stayed in the Historic Tower King Room with a view of Michigan Avenue. The room was luxurious & romantic. It would have been nice to have a CD player in the room. And P.S. ladies- do not use the complimentary lotion, it smells very bad, like old playdough or something! But those are my only two very minor complaints. We didn't use the pool area but we checked it out- a very nice large pool but for lap swimming only. We didn't see a sauna or whirlpool, either. Every single staff member we encountered was extremely professional & courteous. They had 2 employees who worked right outside the door loading & unloading luggage, hailing cabs, & they even escorted me to the door under an umbrella the night we returned & it was raining! Now that's service! You must try the Passiontini at the bar by the entrance- $13 but the best drink of the weekend! Drinking is VERY expensive in Chicago- don't think you will find cheap drinks- we didn't & we went to lots of different style bars. The dining options are very limited for this being such a large hotel. We previewed the breakfast menu & they were charging $14 for 2 pancakes! Nothing with it, just 2 pancakes! We found a great diner right around the corner with unbelievable breakfast at a much better value (Mary's Cafe), pretty much every breakfast was $10.95, we had 4 different things & they were all super delicious! If you go right out of the hotel there is a set of stairs that takes you down under Michigan Avenue- keep walking straight from the bottom of the steps about 2 blocks, on the right is Mary's. You will pass the Reagle Beagle which has to be one of your nighttime stops- it ended up being our favorite bar. Very low keyed, great food, great atmosphere, great 80's decor & music. Not the songs that make you roll your eyes- the ones that make you say "I've got to put this on my ipod!!" You must try the Brady Brunch Punch, $10 each but soooo good! We had the boneless buffulo tenders one night with fries & they were great. Other than those 2 places near the hotel, nothing really stood out- you've got to walk further for more options. Couldn't ever find the popcorn shop that everyone raves about, but while we were looking we discovered that Hubbard Street would be a great afternoon bar hopping street. Someone else told me Rush Street has lots of bars, too. Unfortunately we found out about these on our last morning :( We needed a late check out & it was absolutely no problem getting it, even free of charge. So all in all this was an amazing hotel, but be prepared to walk for nightlife & dining.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmr1979

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

There was slight confusion about my room, and the hotel upgraded my room. I had a truly remarkable stay and the upgraded room exceeded my expectations. They made every effort to meet my needs.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We were excited to see a 4.5-star hotel on Hotwire for just $95, but disappointed with the hotel itself. This is barely a 4-star in facilities or service. There was a long line for check-in, with the clerks loudly announcing people's room numbers as they checked them in (so much for discretion). The rooms themselves (we asked to see more than one) reminded me of the Times Square Sheraton: probably nice at one point but now past their prime and poorly maintained, I've added some photos but unfortunately the cell phone camera isn't very clear. The carpet was worn and stained in places, the baseboards were banged up, and all the furniture was dinged and scuffed,, In the bathroom the wallpaper was peeling and the counter had permanent stains. In the second room we saw there was also a bizarre brown stain in the middle of the wall -- and this was the room that was supposed to be an "improvement." Since we were stuck here with a nonrefundable rate, we decided to make the best of it by getting a minibar drink and getting into the hotel bathrooms -- eeeeew, stained! Granted it was just a small lipstick stain but pretty icky to think the robes may not have been laundered between guests.

Judging by the crown at check-in the hotel gets heavy tourist traffic, and the wear and tear is really showing. As other posters have also noted, there are just a lot of other, better choices in Chicago, Why a vendor would rate this a 4.5-star is beyond me, but even for a 4-star I'd look elsewhere,

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank jengaworld
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I recently stayed for 3 nights after booking with hotwire. I have been to just about all of the 4 star hotels in the area and I have to say there are many which are better than the Intercontinental and cost a little less. If you are not concerned with the quality regarding your room, this review might not be important.
First of all, valet has gone up to 53 bucks a day. Apparently, they have to run all the way to the Navy Pier to get your car so you will be waiting a little longer than usual. I waited about a half hour. Now lets get tot he real disappointment: The rooms. I was incredibly peeved when I walked into my room. It was so tiny I kept bumping my knees on the furniture when I was moving my suitcases around. Both my suitcases would not even fit in the closet so I have to cramp them in which made it a hassle to get my clothes out. I have been in 2 star hotel rooms that looked nicer than this. There was a little cat hair on a red velore like love seat, with cheap, really stiff cushions. I am not saying the room was dirty but it certainly was not spotless either. There were quite a few holes in the sheets as well. Sleeping was impossible due to the loud heating system. I called the front desk and they immediately sent someone to look at it. He sort of giggled and said that there was nothing he could do because it was supposed to be that loud. I couldn not believe it. I'm sure they get many complaints about the heating systems. All in all the staff is friendly, the food is pretty good, However, there are many other hotels with comparable prices and much better quality rooms, service, and ambiance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Prettipetite
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental for the second time on Valentines day this year. We were celebrating both our February birthdays and Valentines day. We had been upgraded to an executive suite and let me tell you it was fabulous! The room had two bathrooms which made getting ready really convenient and the comfy couch in the outer room was perfect for relaxing and watching T.V. I actually wanted to spend time in this hotel room. My favorite part of staying at this hotel is the staff. They are truly helpful and really went out of there way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. From the bell man who first helped with our bags to the very pleasant and kind front desk staff, we were made to feel like very special guests. It is so nice to spend time in a place where people greet you with smiles and kind words even when just answering a question over the phone. We will definately be back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

I booked package deal with airfare and hotel. I was pleased to find this hotel was right in the heart of Michigan Avenue. I thought the decor was updated in the room I was in and liked that there was a Starbucks attached in lobby. Also, check out the pool area (even if you don't swim) it is very cool architecture. I had a great trip, enjoyed the staff, the bar, the room, etc. Room service was pretty good TOO! I would recommend this for several reasons but best of all is the location. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank sawyetr
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I work alot and i'm not able to get away on vacation with my children to much. so i work in the chicago area and wanted alittle getaway just for the weekend , so i chose the intrercontental for just that. and its just what we needed for that little break. We had a great time there .went swimming ,the pool was beautiful.And everyone at the hotel was so accommodating.I will be returning for another stay .

• Liked — the locatioin
  • Disliked — wanted to stay longer
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)