“Recent Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Buffalo, Michigan
“Recent Stay”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have stayed at this location on numerous occasions and have always found it to be a very pleasant experience. On my recent stay however; I encountered numerous problems and found the staff to be less than helpful. I feel I should point out that the hotel was extremely busy and perhaps just unable to handle things to their normal standards. The one bright point during our stay was the assistance we received from one of the bellmen ... Keenan. His professionalism and superb service was first rate. We will give this hotel another chance.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was in Chicago for a business trip and stayed at the Magnificent Mile Intercontinental with my (now) fiance. The location was ideal because while I was at work, she was able to walk out the front door and be in the heart of a really great area of the city. Our room had an incredible view, everything was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there was a Starbucks in the lobby... It's like the place was made for me! I've stayed at InterContinental hotels all over the world for work (my firm is an investor in IHG, so I get to do the research), so I'm happy to say that I'm happy, as usual. The one thing that really stuck out to me this time was the helpfulness of the concierge desk and hotel staff. I got in contact with them concerning help with an engagement request, and both Kathleen at the concierge desk and Kimberley in sales were phenomenal. I ended up looking like a rock star, and it would not have happened without them. Great location, great hotel, wonderful staff, it was a pleasure. Thank you.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The hotel gets great marks for it location, majesty, beauty and friendly staff. It is located in a great part of Michigan Avenue, conveniently located within short walking distance of the major shopping and attractions which Chicago is known for. The other notable feature is the architectural design of the common areas of the hotel, in particular the meeting rooms and the swimming pool. During a stay in this hotel is worth it just to walk around and appreciate the Arabic architectural details which are found throughout the hotel—very unique and particularly nicely done. I am not even an architecture fanatic and I was impressed by these aspects.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly and refer to you buy name. With regard to the guests’ rooms, for an old historic hotel, the rooms are extremely spacious. Typically in hotels of this age in large cities like Chicago, it is common to have small rooms. This is not the case at all with the Intercontinental where the guest rooms are large and comfortable. Equally comfortable is the bedding. The bathrooms have been redone in marble and are aesthetically appealing as well as up-to date. Another huge benefit is free wireless internet access throughout the hotel including the guest rooms.

One downside of this property is that the guest rooms in the historic tower are dark. Because this is an old hotel, its guest rooms were not constructed with built in lighting. Ambient lighting in the guest rooms depends on lamps. I was traveling for business and did a fair amount of work this stay in my hotel room. It was a challenge to get enough light to do work without straining to read. For example, to be able to read the “do not disturb/make-up room” electronic panel in the dark hallway just inside the hotel room, I had to fully open the door to allow enough light into the room to be able to read the wall panel.

In sum, the Intercontinental Hotel is a comfortable, really beautiful property which can use a few modern updates to bring the rooms up to date to have electronic features and amenities of a modern hotel stay and up to the level of expectations of the modern business traveller.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor of the historic tower. The hotel sits right on busy Michigan Avenue...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at the InterContinental Chicago for a conference. The hotel staff were courteous and very helpful. The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Plus, the pool is amazing - like stepping back in time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Thank you for a very pleasant stay. Great hotel!!I recommend.
Special thanks to Mrs. Kinga Stefanska.I wish you many such wonderful employees!
Hotel clean, in very good location.My stay at the hotel was successful. The room was clean and well decorated.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a pretty old but well run hotel on the magnificent mile. Location 10/10.
The room was clean and well decorated but the noise of the air con totally unacceptable .
Guys great hotel and location but sort out the air con.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 2, 2014

In a competitive market it's not awful, just not good enough. I don't know whether wifi was included or not and the landing page didn't detail pricing. The view from my room - and I am a Rewards Club member - was literally of the metal-clad air shaft. The shower tap was broken such that only scalding water was available - which must have been obvious to housekeeping who presumably (hopefully!) need to turn on the water to clean the bath. On mentioning this at check-out, no apology, just a comment that they would get maintenance to look at it. I hope so, but that helps me how? The bar is a Michael Jordan's and while the service was good, I have literally not seen a menu with so much beef on it: even the salads have beef strips. I know that is the point and great if you love steak, but it's surprising to have so few options in a large hotel. The room itself was comfortable so big picture no complaints, but compared to my last Intercontinental (Paris) this felt like the last year of a Sheraton property Starwood is sweating till it's reborn as a W. Ironically, colleagues were at the Sheraton - supposedly a "lesser" hotel - and the public areas I saw were great.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the shaft.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear alexgjohnson,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding room amenities, customer service and the food selection at MJ's which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any future reservations

Yours Sincerely