“Happy with the Stay”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was in Chicago for a business trip and stayed at the Magnificent Mile Intercontinental with my (now) fiance. The location was ideal because while I was at work, she was able to walk out the front door and be in the heart of a really great area of the city. Our room had an incredible view, everything was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there was a Starbucks in the lobby... It's like the place was made for me! I've stayed at InterContinental hotels all over the world for work (my firm is an investor in IHG, so I get to do the research), so I'm happy to say that I'm happy, as usual. The one thing that really stuck out to me this time was the helpfulness of the concierge desk and hotel staff. I got in contact with them concerning help with an engagement request, and both Kathleen at the concierge desk and Kimberley in sales were phenomenal. I ended up looking like a rock star, and it would not have happened without them. Great location, great hotel, wonderful staff, it was a pleasure. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed May 8, 2014

The hotel gets great marks for it location, majesty, beauty and friendly staff. It is located in a great part of Michigan Avenue, conveniently located within short walking distance of the major shopping and attractions which Chicago is known for. The other notable feature is the architectural design of the common areas of the hotel, in particular the meeting rooms and the swimming pool. During a stay in this hotel is worth it just to walk around and appreciate the Arabic architectural details which are found throughout the hotel—very unique and particularly nicely done. I am not even an architecture fanatic and I was impressed by these aspects.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly and refer to you buy name. With regard to the guests’ rooms, for an old historic hotel, the rooms are extremely spacious. Typically in hotels of this age in large cities like Chicago, it is common to have small rooms. This is not the case at all with the Intercontinental where the guest rooms are large and comfortable. Equally comfortable is the bedding. The bathrooms have been redone in marble and are aesthetically appealing as well as up-to date. Another huge benefit is free wireless internet access throughout the hotel including the guest rooms.

One downside of this property is that the guest rooms in the historic tower are dark. Because this is an old hotel, its guest rooms were not constructed with built in lighting. Ambient lighting in the guest rooms depends on lamps. I was traveling for business and did a fair amount of work this stay in my hotel room. It was a challenge to get enough light to do work without straining to read. For example, to be able to read the “do not disturb/make-up room” electronic panel in the dark hallway just inside the hotel room, I had to fully open the door to allow enough light into the room to be able to read the wall panel.

In sum, the Intercontinental Hotel is a comfortable, really beautiful property which can use a few modern updates to bring the rooms up to date to have electronic features and amenities of a modern hotel stay and up to the level of expectations of the modern business traveller.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor of the historic tower. The hotel sits right on busy Michigan Avenue...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at the InterContinental Chicago for a conference. The hotel staff were courteous and very helpful. The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. Plus, the pool is amazing - like stepping back in time!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Thank you for a very pleasant stay. Great hotel!!I recommend.
Special thanks to Mrs. Kinga Stefanska.I wish you many such wonderful employees!
Hotel clean, in very good location.My stay at the hotel was successful. The room was clean and well decorated.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a pretty old but well run hotel on the magnificent mile. Location 10/10.
The room was clean and well decorated but the noise of the air con totally unacceptable .
Guys great hotel and location but sort out the air con.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

In a competitive market it's not awful, just not good enough. I don't know whether wifi was included or not and the landing page didn't detail pricing. The view from my room - and I am a Rewards Club member - was literally of the metal-clad air shaft. The shower tap was broken such that only scalding water was available - which must have been obvious to housekeeping who presumably (hopefully!) need to turn on the water to clean the bath. On mentioning this at check-out, no apology, just a comment that they would get maintenance to look at it. I hope so, but that helps me how? The bar is a Michael Jordan's and while the service was good, I have literally not seen a menu with so much beef on it: even the salads have beef strips. I know that is the point and great if you love steak, but it's surprising to have so few options in a large hotel. The room itself was comfortable so big picture no complaints, but compared to my last Intercontinental (Paris) this felt like the last year of a Sheraton property Starwood is sweating till it's reborn as a W. Ironically, colleagues were at the Sheraton - supposedly a "lesser" hotel - and the public areas I saw were great.

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the shaft.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear alexgjohnson,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding room amenities, customer service and the food selection at MJ's which was unacceptable. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any future reservations

Yours Sincerely

Aravind Gudidevuni

Assistant Front Office Director

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed 4/29/14-4/30/14. I booked this hotel as a girls night away to celebrate my birthday(turned 20). I requested a room on a high floor and with a view. Upon arrival, the friendly and very nice valet came over to the car. I wish I could remember his name. He helped us with our bags and assured us our vehicle would be taken care of. We went in at about 10:30am to see if the room was by chance ready, and it was. We got the keys and off we were to the room. My room was on the 24th floor and had a view. I was delighted that my request was actually followed through. No free wifi here. ): We scoped out the room and took plenty of pictures. Fell in love with the bathroom and how spacious the room was. We were so happy that the beds were nice and soft unlike most hotel beds that are stiff and just about break your back. As someone with back issues I couldn't have been happier. We then unpacked a bit got our purses and went to see the historic lap pool. This is one of the reasons I chose this hotel. We took the hallway there, signed in and up we went to the pool. Its more beautiful than it is in the pictures! It was so relaxing in there. We snapped a few photos and then left to go shopping. We returned at about 5 and had brought back pizza with us. Upon entering our room we tried to put the pizza away. The mini fridge is quite mini lol. We took the items from the fridge to fit in the pizza just to find they wouldn't fit. We put everything back in the fully stocked mini bar we had in our fridge that had been taken out. While getting ready to go off for a swim I was reading the info brochure and found out anything removed from the fridge for more than 30 seconds is electronically charged to your room. We finished getting ready and went down to the front desk. I explained what happened to the manager and she removed the charges and reset the fridge. I asked her what we could do with our pizza. Right away she was on the phone searching for a fridge for us. She then told us if none were available we could store the pizza in room services refrigerator. We headed to the pool. You have to sign in again and rinse before swimming. We went into the locker/shower area and oh my was it wonderful in there! So spacious and clean! The shampoo/conditioner/body wash/lotion its all right there. There was even a machine to wash your swimsuit while you showered, how cool is that! There is a large locker room and sauna. Sauna is free and lovely. You then walk through the fitness center which has a fee to use and up the stairs to the pool. We chose our chairs and in we went. The water was just right and they have heaters on in the pool area so it was very nice in there. The room and atmosphere was so calming. Only thing missing is a hot tub. From there we went back to the room to wind down. Watched tv and enjoyed the view. It was a very quiet night and comfortable beds. No trouble sleeping. In the morning we got up and started to get ready. The shower heads have a rain effect which was wonderful. We packed our bags and headed to check out. We then had our bags checked as we were not yet leaving. The staff put our pizza in the room service fridge and our bags in the vault. We were given our tickets to claim them and went out for the day. We returned about 3 to pick up the bags and our car. The staff was friendly fast and so kind! All of our bags were brought to us as well as the pizzas. We then went to get the car and it was ready for us to go. I will be returning to this hotel I absolutely loved it. I want to thank the staff for helping me to enjoy my birthday and maki ng our stay a remarkable one! Thank you thank you thank you!! :)

• Stayed: April 2014