“An amazing New Year's Eve”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I want to start of by thanking my dearest friend Selma ! Thank you so very much for taking such good care of me and my friends for New Year's Eve. I cannot thank you enough and I hope you like you gift. She Made reservations for me and my husband and two friends at the hotel .... And Recommended an amazing Japanese restaurant for dinner before we went out to our party (Masaki) , it felt like a private restaurant held 22seats and we felt like we were inside of a spa. We are originally from Chicago and wanted to have a weekend out downtown for some NYE fun. Not only did we discover an amazing new gem restaurant but the owner and chef of the restaurant greeted our table and gave everyone a round of drinks on behalf of selma! Nicest touch ever!
But now a little more about the room it's self .. We stayed at room 1061.. It's a junior suite, pretty spacious. It's in the grand tower, the colors are pretty different from the historic tower very mellow, when at the historic tower u have more of a "historic bold classic" feel. Seriously two different worlds ...oh Don't touch the minibar...30sec or you are getting charged. Front desk staff was nice- loong lines at Starbucks- Pretty overall had a nice stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I found hotel on same day website.. For the price it was a good night sleep the weekend chicago had winter snow storm. I was disappointed that they charge extra for using on site fitness center and for internet. The plus was a starbucks on site. Family and I stayed overnight and left at check out. Breakfast for 2 was $75.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear MA

Thank you for your review, and I was happy that you have a good night stay. However I was disappointed that you have not happy about some of our services that we provide in the hotel. If you are a IHG member holder you will entitle to get complimentary Wi-Fi access to use in the rooms and star buck and also Michael Jordan restaurant. Also if you could contact me or any Manager On Duty upon arrival we can look into the FC price

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The InterContinental on Michigan Ave has a great location next door to the Wrigley Building and right by the river. There are definitely nicer 4 - 4.5 stars places on Michigan Ave, but for the right price it's definitely worth it. Rooms are small but nice and clean. There is also a art deco lap pool free for guests. The other work out facilities are nice, but charge an extra fee ($12/night or $16/stay). Wireless access is also typical for a downtown Chicago hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here for one night on a Sunday. The location was exactly what we were looking for which was walking distance to shopping and restaurants. On a nicer weekend we could have also walked to Navy Pier but it was just too cold for that this trip. However, the free trolly dropped us off right on Michigan Ave (just had to cross the street due to construction on a set of stairs).

The hotel is located right on Michigan Ave. The main door opens right on to Michigan Ave but there is a side entrance which is actually more convenient if your unloading a car. Both entrances lead to the large lobby/check in area which is very grand and impressive.

We arrived at noon to see if we could get checked in early and go on with our day. The hotel was very busy but we were assisted right away and told the room was ready. My husband was waiting at the car while I checked in but the front desk would not accept the credit card I provided because it was printed with my husbands name. I went to the car and got his drivers license but was told he would need to physically come inside so they could identify him. This was a bit of a inconvenience since we were not parking the car at this time, only unloading and checking in so someone still needed to stay with the car. But I understand the security reasons behind the request.

The room was in the "new" tower and it was on the small side. I can say our room looked nothing like any of the rooms shown on the website. There were two double beds and a credenza with a TV and mini bar below and a chair. Note, these beds are double size, not queen. Having a king bed at home, this felt very cramped. There was not much room to move around the room either. The bathroom was also small but sufficient. There was a fully stocked mini bar but no room to put anything additional you may have bought. Which is a bummer since we like to bring our own soda rather than paying $5 for one from the mini bar. There was no microwave and the ice machine was located 7 floors below us. We were traveling with teenagers and had an air mattress for the floor, which we were not able to use. The room felt so cramped we asked if there was a bigger room available. Unfortunately, there was only 1 bigger room available and it was an additional $75 per night. Since we had paid less than $75 per night for the room we had, we opted not to upgrade.

The interior of the hotel is showing wear & tear and could use some updating but it was clean. I normally dont remark on the decor since it is subjective to taste, however the carpet in this hotel is hideous. The pattern and bright colors actually give the illusion that the carpet is very worn out in certain areas, which is it not. We actually did a double take getting off the elevators because we thought the carpet was worn down to the floor. And even though it was very cold, the windows let in a considerable amount of cold air.

The pool area is very interesting. The pool area itself can be tricky to find if your not paying attention. You have to walk down a couple hallways and up/down a few short sets of stairs. The pool is very large, but has lanes set up for lap swimming. Not sure this works out good for kids just wanting to splash around or play water games. Also, the seating is stadium style. Several tiers of chairs (as if you were there to watch a swim meet!). That being said, the pool area is very ornate and impressive to look at. There is no hot tub.

We did not use any restaurants or room service during this stay so I can not comment on that.

On a final note, there was a notice upon check in that there would be a staff emergency drill held at 10am the following morning. The alarms would sound in every room and we should disregard this because it was only a staff drill. We didnt think this would be any big deal and appreciated the advance notice. Turns out, at exactly 10am the alarms started going off followed by instructions for the staff drill. This repeated every few minutes for 15 minutes. That may not sound long, but when your sleeping in and still lounging in bed, 15 minutes of an alarm and instructions is a looong time.

Due to the location of the hotel. we would stay here again. However, if we were traveling with more than 3 people we would need to request a bigger room or stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request bigger size room if traveling with kids
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Griswolds198,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry to see you received service and room accommodations that was less than satisfactory during your stay. Kindly be assured that your review will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I will write a longer review after we actually stay in the hotel. This review is a warning: if you want to use the fitness center, you will be charged $13/day; if you want internet access, you will be charged $18/day (rounded up).

This is not obvious from the hotel's website, which is why I had to phone to find out the information. I am seriously disappointed, already, and I haven't even arrived in Chicago yet!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SC04

Dear SC04

Thank you for your review , as i have seen that you are a business traveler if you are a IHG member holder you will entitle to get complimentary wifi access to use in the room.Also if you can contact me or any Manager On Duty upon arrival we can look into the FC price

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay here. Great staff, great food, great service, perfect location! Michael Jordans Restaurant had an amazing food and friendly, professional staff. Everyone from concierge, front desk to bell staff were extremely welcoming and helpful! My room had an amazing view, loved it! Comfortable beds, clean rooms, everything you expect when staying at the InterContinental Hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We booked the room for (4) nights via an express deal through Priceline.com. Using some deductive reasoning we narrowed down which hotels we might get which was the ICH Magnificent Mile and one other. After scouring each of the two hotel's websites looking at amenities and room types and sizes we decided that either of the two would meet our needs. We ended up with the ICH. Within minutes of booking the room, I called the ICH Magnificent Mile directly (not the 800 reservation number) and requested a room with two double beds as we would be traveling with our children aged 10 and 13. I was assured that would we would indeed get a room with two beds. When I told the person that I had booked rooms before through Priceline where we requested double beds but had not been given said rooms, I was told again it wouldn't be a problem.
Sadly, upon checking in, we were given a room with a king sized bed. When I told them it was unacceptable because we had our two children with us, I was told there is nothing that they could do as they were completely booked. I was told not to worry because the remaining three nights of our trip the hotel was virtually empty and that a room with two doubles wouldn’t be a problem. They did give us two roll away sleepers for free and I was assured that we would get a room with two double beds the next day.
We woke up the next morning and completely packed up so they could move our suitcases, etc. to the new room while we were out seeing the city. Upon returning the room after a day at the Shedd Aquarium we were given keys to the new room. It was a double in the “new” tower and it was extremely small. So small, it was impossible to unpack one suitcase much less two, use a cooler, eat a carryout pizza or even play a board game. There is no way that ANY of these rooms should have two double beds in them. Sadly, after checking Trip Advisor (which we didn’t do before we booked the room), it seems as though the size of the rooms is one of the largest complaints against the ICH Magnificent Mile.
Once again, I went to the front desk to complain and again I was told there was nothing that they could do because they were completely booked (again). At this time I asked to speak to a manager who wasn’t able to help but again, I was assured we would be moved the next day. During the evening, I went out onto the ICH Magnificent Mile website and found a picture showing a room with two double beds that I forwarded to the manager specifically telling her that is the room I was expecting when we booked the room. As it turns out, the picture I sent her was of a double room in the old tower. Interestingly enough there are no pictures on their website of a double in the new tower. Had a picture of a double in the new tower been shown on their website we probably would have tried another option because they are small.
Again, the next morning we packed up as though we were leaving (major pain in the butt) so they could move us AGAIN. Upon returning to the hotel we found that were given a room that finally met our expectations. In fact it was probably much nicer than a normal double room which was a nice gesture but after screwing around for 48-hours it was too little too late. Also, as a way to make up for the inconvenience, were given a “fruit plate” and some water which consisted of two apples, an orange and ONE bottle of water. Mind you, there were four of us. Also, we were granted a 2PM check-out which we were not able to take advantage of.
One other item to note is that when we spent the one night in the small room in the new tower, somebody staying across the hall and down a few doors from ours had TWO dogs in their room that were left unattended. When I went to the front desk to complain about the size of our room, I also alerted them to the fact that there were dogs in the room. I did find that dogs are allowed at the ICH Magnificent Mile but in the old tower only. Not the new tower because it was completely renovated. I was told that they would take care of the issue as the dogs barked from time to time. At the end of the day, the hotel did nothing about the dogs that I am aware of because we heard them barking as late as 10PM. In the end, they didn’t disturb us but it certainly makes me wonder about dogs staying in hotels in general as I am extremely allergic and wonder what hotels are doing to clean the rooms after dogs are staying in them.
Overall, you can’t beat the location. However, the double rooms in the new tower are NOT very family friendly and frankly shouldn’t even have two double beds in them. Even though I was assured by the front desk and the manager that I spoke to that “Priceline People” aren’t treated any differently than people who pay the full rate I am not convinced that is the case. Of the 90-hours we were at the hotel we spent less than half of the time in the room we ended up in and even though it was nice, it wasn’t nice enough to make up for the 48-hours of screwing around we endured.
The only way I would recommend this hotel to a family if they can stay in a double in the new tower. STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW TOWER!! For Priceline people, BEWARE because there are no assurances you will get the room you request even after booking.
Footnote - The carpeting in the new tower is hideous. Even though it is new it looks threadbare and it really is kind of a turnoff.

Room Tip: The historic tower rooms are larger but the new tower rooms are more recently renovated.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee S
Kyiana, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Lee S

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our guest’s leave satisfied and we try our best to ful fill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by not getting the double beds upon check in. We do our best to accomodate to all our guest needs.Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Sincerely