“Great location and excellent room service”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was in town for a conference and chose this hotel for its location downtown. It was a $10-$12 cab ride to the convention centre and the right choice for evenings and tourism. The location was excellent, by the river and close to shopping. The room was quiet and clean, and wifi was included with the convention rate. Room service staff were exceptional, both friendly and fast. As we stayed for 5 days, I tried both downstairs restaurants (steakhouse and wine bar) and enjoyed them as well. There is an extra fee for using the gym, which surprised me, although it wasn't expensive at $16 for the whole stay. It had no mats so floor/yoga exercises were inconvenient. My husband wanted a cable to connect his laptop to the TV in the room as a monitor, which had a box available for this purpose, and they weren't able to help with this at all, which was annoying.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in the very heart of Chicago for just one night this last weekend and felt compelled to write a short review. The hotel itself is really nice, with large comfortable rooms and very helpful and attentive staff. It is ideally located for a weekend break as it lies really close to the Millennium Park, with the famous mirror sculpture, along with other sculpture pieces and the art gallery, and the bay. So you can walk for miles or shop til you drop.

Things to do, take a river tour. I did a 90 minute Architecture Tour ( it may sound dull, but believe me it isn't, it was really interesting.) Visit Trump Tower and take a view of the city from up in the clouds! Walk along the 20 miles or so of coastal pathways. (Or cycle, take a Segway tour, whatever!)

BUT, one thing you must do is take you swimwear and visit the health club on the eleventh floor. The Art Deco pool is fantastic and is a real must!

Enjoy the hotel, I did!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I stayed here last Wednesday night and we are headed back to stay again tomorrow night. Patrick was great at the front desk, informative, and knowledgable about things to do in the city. He was a pleasure to deal with. I love this hotel. It is clean, modern and well decorated. The location is prime on Michigan Ave near restaurants and great shopping. We have stayed here previously and as I stated we will be back tomorrow as well as in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We decided to take a quick trip to Chicago for the weekend so we got on Hotwire and booked. This is my 2nd time getting this hotel on Hotwire, and it is great. It is in a great location, and we walked pretty much everywhere! We took the train (blue line to Clark/Lake) to get there. There is an awesome Walgreen’s kind of sort of along the way as you walk from the train stop to the hotel. You can take a cab to the hotel when you get off of the train, but it is only about a 20 min. walk. There is also a Trader Joe’s close to the hotel and they have anything that you might need. Super nice pool and great fitness center if you are into those things. I would recommend it, but don’t pay full price for it. I think the people who complain pay full price. Someone complained about the computer in the room turning on…there is a button that you can double click to make the screen shut down. We didn’t have any problems with that. As a matter of fact we didn’t have any problems at all. My only suggestion is that they need to put a recycle bin/trash can in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at IC Magnificent Mile for our babymoon / birthday. Our stay started off a bit shaky with a few bumps, but was quickly remedied by the very accommodating Malcolm and Marcus at the Front Desk. We stayed for 3 days in a junior suite at the historic tower which had gorgeous views of both the Tribune Tower and Lake Michigan. The room was very comfortable with a separate living room / bedroom area and a separate marble bath / shower. The hotel's location is (too) conveniently located near shopping, fantastic restaurants and a few minutes walking distance from Millennium Park and the Art Institute. Bob and Michelle at the Concierge Desk kept us busy with great suggestions on restaurants (and helped find my husband's missing phone ... that he left in a cab). The best dinner suggestion though came from their Hotel Manager, Sean Olmstead who recommended Au Cheval, which was quite possibly our best dinner in this fabulous city. From Stanford at the Door to Jose R and Jose at the Bellstand, the consistently friendly staff at The Continental Restaurant during breakfast, to Olivia, our friendly and fast front desk agent at check out, our stay at the InterContinental Magnificent Mile was all in all an amazing experience. It's a gorgeous hotel, but it's their great staff that really made it. I would definitely recommend (and already have) this hotel to anyone venturing out to Chicago.

Room Tip: Corner suites are HUGE with amazing views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This review is based on my last stay, last week. But it could reflect any of the 5 one week stays I've enjoyed at the Interconti over the past 5 years (since my last review).
The Interconti Chicago is perfectly located on North Michigan Avenue ("The Magnificent Mile"), close to the river. So shopping as well as dining is at walking distance.
Arrived rather late at the hotel. Check-in was smooth and efficient although I could not get the upgrade to the top of the Historical tower (see my last review) as these rooms were occupied by paying customers. I was given instead a very large corner room, still with a beautiful view. The room has all the amenities one could expect (coffee/tea station, large TV screen, stocked mini-bar, ...). An iPhone dock would though be a nice add-on. Comfortable bed. Large bathroom with a separated shower. Good amenities. Free wifi. Almost perfect.
Full heath club with its famous half Olympic swimming pool where Johnny Weissmuller and Esther Williams were training.
A couple of restaurants: The Eno wine-bar (reviewed separately - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35805-d2667192-r169101993-Eno-Chicago_Illinois.html) and the Michael Jordan steakhouse (not tried as I think the prices are outrageous). There is in addition an on-site Starbucks.
Great staff.
Please make sure to book well in advance as the hotel is pretty much always fully booked (although it has close to 1000 rooms).
Bottom line: definitively my hotel of choice in Chicago!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Hotel is in "the" ideal location in Chicago. Beautiful property inside and out and amazing staff. Everything, in every way was perfect. From the check-in, to the amazing dinner and drinks at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse. One of the best business trips ever....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business