InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
  • Room Service
5,036 results
All reviewsmichael jordan's steakhouseexecutive towernew towermichigan avenuegreat locationmagnificent milefitness centernavy piermag mileindoor poolthe riveran upgrademini barking bedcorner roomfew blocksmillennium park
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental Chicago (Magnificent Mile) for three nights including the July 4th holiday. I had never been to Chicago before and I arrived on the Amtrak train from San Francisco at around 5pm on July 3rd. As it was raining I took a taxi from Union Station to the hotel, the fare was less than $10. The doorman opened the taxi door inquired if I needed assistance with my bags, he also directed me to the check in desk. The lobby was stunning, with decor going back to the construction of the building in the 1920's. There was a cool video wall behind the check in desk with footage from a camera looking out onto North Michigan Ave. Check in was quick and pleasant and I was given the access code for the WiFi network for my stay.

I was given a room on the 19th floor of the Grand tower. There were four elevators in this particular tower, there is also the Historic tower as well. You did have to wait some time for an elevator to arrive at the lobby level, we squeezed ourselves in as by now several guests had gathered who needed to get to their floors. On the 19th floor I got out and found a modern design, and up to date decor. My room was overlooking the rear of the property so I didn't really have a view as such. My room was a suite made up of: the bedroom, sitting room, bathroom and hall.

It was clean, modern and very new looking, I couldn't find any scuffs or marks on the walls and the carpet looked as though it hadn't been there that long, very impressed. Large bathroom, very comfortable memory foam mattress bed. There was a TV in the bedroom and sitting area. Also in the sitting area was a touchscreen computer which was free to use to find local attractions, restaurants etc. I used this computer to check in with my airline before my departure. The computer gives you a code and you go to the computer in the lobby next to the concierge desk, put your code in and it prints out your boarding pass. I enjoyed a several nights of good sleep because of the bed, the housekeeping was good and the room was immaculate when I returned each day.

I also liked that on the last night my bill was slipped under my door, stating that I could just leave in the morning and leave my key in my room. I like this as I don't like to queue on check out just to hand my key in and get a copy of my bill, so this saves me time.

The only minor issues I had were the following. as mentioned there was some waiting for the elevators both in the lobby going up and on my floor waiting to go down. Second there is no ice machine on the 19th floor, you have to go to another floor to get ice, I believe there is only one floor in this tower that has an ice machine. Third at 1am on my second night I got a knock on my door, it was a member of staff saying that I had asked for a staff member to come to my room. I hadn't, whilst this was a genuine mistake, and miss communication between staff (as he actually needed to go to my room number but on the floor above) it did wake me up and get me out of bed. Also there was some street noise from ambulance sirens every so often from the nearby hospital.

The location of the hotel is great. You are next to the Tribune building and across the street from Trump tower. To the north of the hotel is the Magnificent Mile where all the up market shopping is. To the south is the financial district. From the hotel you are seconds from the river, then a short walk to Navy pier and some of the beaches. There are plenty of restaurants or fast food outlets nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank brianapa
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is a missed opportunity for what could be a wonderful hotel. The location is good (though it's in the far end of the mag mile so it's a bit of a walk if you're here to shop). The rooms are spacious but they're a bit old and needs updating. The rooms in the historical building are especially old, dark and looks like the rooms in a budget hotel. Also, some of the rooms have small tv screens.

The worst thing in this hotel is the service. With the exception of the breakfast room, the staff are poorly trained. For example, you can wait anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour just to check in.

Also, if you're an ambassador member DON'T expect your ambassador status to carry any weight here. They often forget fruit baskets, fail to upgrade you to a better room even when you mention your status, and the priority check in always unmanned.

If you must stay in this location (like me), then stay in this hotel. Otherwise, there are far better hotels with nicer rooms and better service in Chicago.

Breakfast is excellent though and the spread is awesome. They serve fresh blueberries, decent smoked salmon and pastries for the continental portion. I wasn't a big fan of the hot portion, but there's enough variety to satisfy those wanting a heavier breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Arjuna888
Kyiana, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Arjuna888,

Thank you very much sending your feedback to our attention.

I am very sorry to learn about the various issues you had during your stay and I would like to offer you my most sincere apologies for not providing the kind of service that you, as an Ambassador Member, have the right to expect at an Intercontinental Hotel.

Please let me assure you that I have already discussed your e-mail within the Front Office and Food and Beverage teams as we must ensure that we don't make the same mistakes twice. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the breakfast in our hotel.

I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to in the not too distant future, giving us a second chance.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime. It would be a pleasure for me arranging one of your next stays with us.

Martina Lebensorger

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Blown away by the location. Doesn't get better than this.

Loved the screens behind the front desk.

Anyway, hotel was clean, as was the room. Service from the staff was great also. Helped me send out an important package.

Plenty of food options nearby and a MJ Steakhouse in the lobby. Also a Starbucks in the lobby. #wimming

Would de stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I were downtown for a presentation and decided to stay at this hotel. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel! We had a Jr. Suite which had a living room area. Our room included 2 TV’s and 2 bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable and we like the room décor. We also had a magnificent view of Michigan Avenue. I’m telling you this hotel is nice. They have Michael Jordan Steakhouse, The Wine Bar and Starbucks to name a few.The American Buffet for breakfast was to die for. There’s a lot on the breakfast menu to choose from. The Chef prepared omelets just the way my husband and I like them. The staff was very friendly and helpful and give us directions to the places were looking for. When an overnight stay is required in Chicago, I will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view of Michigan Avenue. Try the 23rd floor facing Michigan. A nice view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding and got the group discount. For the price ($145) it was excellent! Love, love, love the location! The room itself was a tad small, but had everything; the bed was comfortable and very clean, loaded with sheets so we didn't touch the blanket or bedspread. The pool was on the 12th floor and was full size! Really cool pool, for a hotel. They have a side entrance on Illinois so loading up the car on our way out was a breeze. The staff was perfectly friendly, rooms cleaned promptly. Loved this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family