“The Power of Social Media”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 13, 2013

There was no porter in sight to greet us when our taxi deposited us and our bags outside the hotel on a chilly evening - not a good start when one has to wander into the hotel foyer to find someone to help with bags.

The person on reception was efficient and courteous and processed our arrival promptly and, as a reward for my Platinum Priority Club Status, gave me with two coffee vouchers valued at under $2 each. My next disappointment was when I discovered that there was a charge for internet access (I usually stay at other IHG properties that give priority club members complimentary access) but I was advised that I could use the free wifi in Starbucks in the foyer.

We arrived a little before 9pm and I enquired about getting a meal in the hotel, I was informed that the Steakhouse was closing, Starbucks was already closed and that room service was the only option. I had expected that an Intercontinental would have a bar or coffee shop where we could order a meal at 9:00 pm.

Our room was in the Historic wing of the Hotel and was rather dark (it was the cheapest room available), it was in need of an update. but it was large and had a supremely comfortable bed.

The best thing about this hotel was its location on Michigan - what a fantastic spotright in the middle of things.

Now, when I went down to the foyer and sat outside the closed Starbucks to use their internet the hotel Facebook page came up when I connected to the network. I wrote a comment about saying that I didn't want to use the Health Club or Swimming Pool and asked if I could swap access to these facilities for internet access. I then toddled back to my room to eat my room service dinner.

When I visited Starbucks the next morning there was a message on Facebook for me from the Intercontinental Management. They had decided to grant me free internet access - that made me one happy traveller.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeniAus
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My twin and I stayed at the InterContinental for our 30th birthday in late February and it was wonderful. Our bellman, Clive, sent us the most decadent cake and a bottle of wine just because my friend mentioned it was our birthday! We were totally surprised by his thoughtfulness! Not only that we upgraded to a suite and paid a very small price for such a wonderful space. Great location; walking distance from Water Tower and other shopping places. We went to Yolk for breakfast and with a card from the concierge we were seated almost immediately, ahead of dozens of people. Wonderful!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yaffid
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This hotel is awesome. The location is perfect. The staff, Bell captain, are all great. The rooms are great. Very historic. The pool is a great plus. Amazing sheets. You won't find a better location. The hotel staff are very incentive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stay at the IC almost every time we are in Chicago - LOVE it, but there were problems this time which really surprised us. We were late getting there, so just had a short time to have dinner before we left for a concert. We ran into the room and I intended to freshen my makeup but there were no towels in the bathroom. We called the front desk, she said they would bring some up, but you know how long that takes. The towels were waiting when we got back but they were ratty - all stringy on the ends - really bad. Then the tv wouldn't work because the batteries were getting low - that sounds like a really little problem, but very annoying - you had to aim the remote at the exact place on the tv, then press 3 or 4 times before it would work. THEN....we only had one coffee cup and no coffee - that was really bad because we are definitely coffee people - they brought plenty when we called, but again, we had to call. So all in all it was disappointing and will probably cause us to try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank susan30084
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved our quick check in, loved our upgraded room, loved our spectacular view of the Chicago skyline! I stayed here the night before my wedding and was somewhat impressed. Twenty years later and I am VERY impressed! What a gorgeous place and it's walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do in Chicago. Very reasonable if you search around for deals.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The lobby of the 6th floor was very festive for the time of year. The room was fresh smelling and everything was orderly and in place. The room was ready on time and there was not any problems with it or checking. This hotel is highly recommended for travel, business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms are great if you want a good view of the city use the rooms on the north side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Just spent the weekend in chicago. This hotel is in a great location. The staff was very friendly and rooms were nice. Michael Jordans restaurant was good, too! Parking is expensive, but would definitely reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013