“Nice hotel - too expensive”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #68 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights during our recent spring break. Booked a historic Pure (allergy-free) room, 2 double beds. The room was beautiful, super clean, roomy, bathroom was beautiful. The only complaint I have is the housekeeping/service was much to be desired for the quality and price of the hotel. We never did have 4 sets of towels in our room, there were 4 of us in our room. We had to call 2 nights in a row to get extra towels.

The pool was beautiful, and was one of the reasons we stayed at the hotel. However, of the 4 nights we stayed at the hotel, the pool was closed 1 entire day and the other 2 times we did go swimming, they did not have towels! The attendant for the pool/fitness area was quite smug about the entire situation. I got the feeling that this was a common occurrence. My husband had to go to our room to get the few "precious" towels that we did have to use for the pool.

I was never able to get Wi-fi at the hotel as they charge $14.95-$17.95 per 24 hour usage for Wi-fi. There were many people standing in the lobby outside of the hotel restaurant and Starbucks using the Wi-fi. For the caliber of this hotel, they should provide free Wi-fi.

I also felt that for the size of the room, they could have easily put in 2 Queen beds, as the double beds were quite small.

You can't go wrong with the location of this hotel and they did provide a late checkout for us free of charge.

Overall, I probably will not return to this hotel, but stick with Marriott instead.

Room Tip: Historic room was great and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Kathy3116,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of the room and found it beautiful as well. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had over the unsatisfactory service from the staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

First off, Ive read so many bad/mediocre reviews of this hotel which compelled me to share my good experience. I stayed here for an entire week with my family of four without a single complaint. The hotel's location is right in the center of the magnificent mile walking distance from almost every major restaurant and attraction. Our room was spacious and clean but this is not the Four Seasons (stayed there too) and shouldn't be held to that standard given its cheaper price point. The gym is well equipped a (costs 16 for your whole stay) and the pool (free) is gorgeous. Wifi costs extra but LTE on my iPhone and iPad and didn't miss it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I attended a conference at the hotel and called to book my room a month in advance. I was told at the time they didn't show any special group rate, even though the conference stated they had a discount plan. I went ahead and booked the room anyway. A few days prior to the stay, I received an email stating they had a discounted parking rate. I called the hotel and was told they didn't know anything about that either, but to bring in my email when I checked in. I was surprised that the parking garage is underground. I passed it twice before I called and was told what looked like a service entrance was indeed the guest entrance. When I went to check in I inquired about the discounted parking rate. I was told I would need to talk to the conference people. When I questioned that, I was told a manager of the hotel would need to be consulted. The attendent took my cell number telling me that he would contact me. I went to my room and it was cold. I turned up the heat but it never got above 68 degrees. As a result the furnace ran all night and was noisy. The room also had an odor of sewer gas in the bathroom. The room was smaller than I expected. The bed was good, a nice TV and the bathroom amenities were upscale. Oh...the manager never called me and they did NOT give me the discounted rate. I checked my bag with the bellman. I called ahead of time to ask them to have my bag ready at 4:30. I was told they couldn't do that. I would have to come or call 10 - 15 minutes prior. They did tell me they could have my car ready after I explained that I was in a conference and wouldn't be able to call ahead of time. I went to get my bag and there were probably 30 people in line waiting to check in bags! I finally got my bag and told the gentleman that I had already called to have them bring my car from valet parking. He took me outside and spoke to another gentleman. I stood for quite some time, not seeing my car. Finally when I spoke with the second gentleman, he said "Oh!" took my bag back inside and hit the elevator door down to the parking garage. They were getting ready to take my car back in the garage by that time, but luckily they hadn't. They seemed pretty upset with me -- not having stayed there before, I assumed they would bring the car out of the parking garage. This is standard at all the other hotels I have ever valet parked. I considered staying at the Conrad a block over and if I have another reason to be at the Intercontinental I will.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear S1Blum,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be shared to our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Joel B

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nice rooms - great location on the Magnificent Mile, very nice pool - nice amenities with Jordan's steakhouse and Starbuck's attached - I have to single out two people - Jose C with the bellhop service, and Salma in the Continental breakfast area - Jose was excellent - very patient with us - 4 kids and a bunch of bags - and Salma treated our 5 year old like he was a king which made him feel great - much appreciated!

1  Thank jvrba
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and I stayed at the InterContinental in downtown Chicago during my kids' spring break.

Although the hotel is historic and nicely decorated, we found our guest room to be small and crowded for the four of us. In addition, we ended up having to be moved to another room after 9 pm the first night due to our bathroom sink overflowing with what looked like raw sewage.

We disliked the fact that we were charged an exorbitant amount per night for parking, and were refused the ability to access our car ourselves (i.e. without the intervention of the valet) to retrieve something from it.

The pool area is beautiful and historic. However, there is no hot tub or sauna, and the shallow end of the pool was too deep for my kids to safely play on their own. Also, I was frustrated in response to there not being adequate signs to point the way from the pool back to our room in the other tower.

I felt taken advantage of by the fact that the room service menu guide didn't warn us we'd be assessed an expensive service charge, and in response to us being charged for making a local call we didn't make.

Here's one last word of warning which was confirmed by our bell man: You will (initially) be charged for consuming mini bar items if you inadvertently jostle them in any way based on them being attached to a sensor that is registered at the front desk!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear 961JenniferW,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the price you paid. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel has such character in the historic tower.My husband has stayed here a few times on busines and knew I would love it.We had a premier king on the 15th floor, Room 1506. Windows on two sides,one overlooking Michigan Ave. Bed separated from bath by a long hallway, loved that feature. Nice bathroom with robes. Very comfortable bed.Exceptional service. Only negative the TV and desk should be in opposite places. The tv was off to the side of the bed instead of at the foot, a little awkward. Take the time to explore the historic tower,quite interesting.
Perfect location for shopping, nightlife, sightseeing. Dinner at Michal Jordon's on property amazing

Room Tip: Choose a room in historic tower, high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A great hotel centrally located in Chicago - Close walk to everything from the Art Museum to all the good restaurants. Staff is amazing and very helpful. A great place to say in Chicago. As mentioned before the upper floors have slow elevators but it didnt seem to be too bad. Can be slow but they do arrive. We stayed in the Historical Tower with a great view and rooms laid out nicely given the older hotel. New decor was nice. Worth going and if you have a daughter take advantage of the American Girl Package. They really set you up nicely. Conceirge service is great as well.