“A great hotel, in the process of getting even better” 5 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #73 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“A great hotel, in the process of getting even better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here once before in the North Tower. My thoughts were "good hotel in a great location". So when a $107/night deal on Hotwire that was hard to pass up was the InterContinental, I had to see if anything had changed since the last stay.

The answer: Plenty. We again ended up in the North Tower, which is undergoing a renovation, and ended up in one of the renovated rooms. In fact, we could still smell the fresh paint and wallpaper on our floor. Once you get past the weird hallway carpeting that looks like it had lime paint spilled on it, they did a spectacular job renovating the rooms. Beds are extremely comfortable, decor is modern and attractive, and there were a megaton of power plugs for your gadgets (unfortunately, Wi-Fi ain't free, but AT&T LTE reception is great here, and the Starbucks in the lobby has free Wi-Fi). Another one of my complaints has also been rectified: the North Tower's noisy old toilets have been replaced by quiet yet effective Toto toilets as part of the bathroom remodel, which also includes new faucets with a rain shower. The Agraria toiletries are also new since the last visit... most hotel toiletries either smell bad, don't perform well, or dry out your skin (sometimes, all three). These are none of the above. Don't like the modern changes in the North Tower? Pay a little more and stay in the historic tower.

The fitness center had a fee, so I passed on that. However, I did use the hotel's amazing pool. Words cannot describe how good this is for a hotel pool.

There was a minor inconvienence in the middle of all this construction: We needed some ice, and the wing's only ice machine was on the 7th floor, which was blocked off for renovations. Although a visit to the front desk brought a giant bag of ice to our room, I think that there should have been some kind of warning. Still, this is the Iowa Hawkeyes' official team hotel for the Big Ten Tournament, and anything management can do to limit the amount of cold beer in the rooms might actually be a good thing.

Overall, these improvements that are in the works are making an already good hotel really great. Remember, the North Tower is still under renovation, so don't be surprised if you get an older room with the old decor and noisy toilet if you stay here for the next few months. But when the dust is settled, this will be worth the wait for frequent visitors to this great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Zachary M
ICMagMile, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Mr. Zachary M,

Thank you so much for choosing the InterContinental Chicago during your trip to Chicago and for taking the time to post such a detail review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your positive feedback in regards to our new renovated rooms in the Grand Tower. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Chicago.Please contact our Guest Relations team or me directly at cintia.becerra@ihg.com when your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
long island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Sitting on at a great location, the InterContinental has all of Chicago at your door, for a quite reasonable price - given other hotels around town. The staff is courteous, rooms clean and up-to-date, and a good night's rest is guaranteed. On my most recent stay there was some confusion about my reservation - the matter was handled promptly in a very professional manner and I was given a suite for the price of my original booking - who could ask for more. Plus, I had one of the best burgers ever in Michael Jordon's convenient lobby restaurant.

Go for it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear ZooyLongIsland,

Thank you so much for choosing the Intercontinental Chicago. We are very humbled by your kind comments and truly delighted to read that you both enjoyed your suite and Michael Jordan’s. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Chicago. Please contact our Guest Relations team or me directly at cintia.becerra@ihg.com when your travels bring you back to Chicago.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I hosted a girls weekend at the hotel for several friends. Upon arrival, it turns out that we booked the wrong sized room to accommodate such a large group. The Front Desk was Amazing and incredibly accommodating! They searched high and low- and cleared out a room early so that our group would have the perfect room to host a little bridal shower and girl time. They were great. Keenan provided A+ service, helping us find the best room and then by making sure we were all set for the perfect event- bringing additional chairs, champagne glasses, ice buckets, etc, etc- Overall, beautiful hotel, fantastic service. Thank You!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ms. Oliviadail,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback in regards to Kennan and our Front Desk staff. I will definitely share your kind comments with the entire staff. We are delight to read that you and your party had a great time during your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Alzheimer's Association held their first 2013 Chicago Committee meeting at the hotel and it was nothing short of flawless. It was great working with Lupe (Catering Manager) and her team, as they helped me through step by step and were on top of everything. The planning process was seamless, and when we arrived the committee members were so impressed! The room had great views of downtown Michigan Avenue and staff was on top of their game. We didn't have to ask for anything. Definitely looking forward to having future meetings at a hotel with such an amazing staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rachel C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us and for your kind remarks about our service team. Comments like yours inspire our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We truly value your feedback and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Although it is an imposing and perhaps intimidating hotel with uniformed bell hops, transportation captains, and imposing architecture, the Intercontinental Chicago is the friendliest, most gracious, and warm hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff goes out of its way to make sure your stay is great and you feel welcome and at home in this grand hotel. If you get to meet Patrick Taylor at the front desk, you will meet the ultimate customer service person. Always greeting you coming in or out, he personifies the graciousness and warmth of the Intercontinental.

The rooms are tremendous places to stay with wonderful views and all the amenities you expect in such a quality hotel. The location is prime with Michigan Avenue out your front door, the Tribune Tower next door, and the Magnificent Mile at your feet.

Stay at the Intercontinental Chicago and you will know what standard the rest of the hospitality industry should be judged by.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the historic tower, the views are tremendous.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TuscaloosaMike
Dear Mr. Mike Tuscaloosa,

Thank you for the 5 star post and the great comments about Patrick Taylor and the entire team. I will share the post with him and certainly celebrate it with the team.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I heard good things about this hotel but I would take it off my preferred list for Chicago.
The staff was pleasant but the accommodations were fair to poor. Towels were like Motel 6 linen- thin as tissue paper. When we tried to use the exercise room, we were told there would be an additional charge for each day per person. Hard to believe when we were spending $200 per night for the room that they would charge extra to use a treadmill!!!
We also fell for their "up charges" of $25 additional for a room in the old tower per night and $9 for an upper floor per night. We ended up on the 21st floor looking out at an alley (there are 40 some floors in this tower)
I'm still trying to get a receipt for our stay that was supposed to be emailed days ago. As of yet no receipt. Make sure you resist their recommendation not to print your receipt, but to email it instead!!

Room Tip: try another hotel. Don't pay for the upgrades!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tom F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Tom F,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I arrived on Saturday, March 2nd for the International House Wares Show at the McCormick center and stayed until Tuesday, March 5th. I did not book this hotel through the show but on Expedia where I received an excellent rate in a deluxe room in the Historic tower along with breakfast each day. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and had the same expectations for this visit. I was a bit taken back at the lack of front desk help. I seem to remember that there were only 2 people on for check in. There was a concierge helping some people as well. The gentleman that checked me in was very nice and helpful. My room was not ready as I arrived at the hotel around 11 am. I did not expect a room to be ready. In the meantime, I headed out to Michigan Avenue for the wonderful shopping. The location of this hotel is PERFECT! After an amazing shopping excursion, I came back to the hotel and checked into my room. It was ok. I would say it was very average in its decor, and the size was very small. I had a king sized bed and a great view overlooking the Chicago Tribune tower. The bathroom had a lot to be desired. It was a good size but it just had a pedestal sink with a shelf above it for my toiletries. The shower/tub combo was tired. I had a difficult time even turning on the water to get the shower to work. I think others had too as the tap was quite loose. They did not supply shower caps--as a woman who likes to shower with out getting her hair wet sometimes, this was not great. The amenities were just ok. I did call the front desk to request a make up mirror which they delivered. The king sized bed was just ok, very hard and not comfortable. The last time I stayed here it just seemed to be a better run hotel. In my opinion, they've cut back on staff, guest amenities in the bathrooms, and cleanliness. The carpet in my room still had white fluff on it and the other woman I was travelling with, she found cheerios on the floor of her room. I do have to say that the buffet breakfast was great. The cook made excellent omlets for me each morning and he was lovely to speak to. The staff in the restaurant was very good. Overall, I'm only giving this hotel a 3.5. A few years ago, it was a 4.5. I just expected more from the Intercontinental. I will probably not stay here again as there are so many other options in Chicago on the 'Magnificent' mile.

Room Tip: The Historic Tower has great views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business