“Anniversary trip down the (slow moving) drain”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #68 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pekin, Illinois
“Anniversary trip down the (slow moving) drain”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Chicago is a special city for my fiancee and I. We started dating there, we got engaged there, and we've had many romantic trips to the city. This trip was to celebrate one year being engaged, and also to celebrate Valentine's day.

I originally booked at the Amalfi, but my fiancee wasn't too cracked on the modern decor. We did the Ritz last year and that was absolutely wonderful, but a bit out of our price range for this weekend trip. The Intercontinental seemed to have the same stylings that we both love and it appeared to be a great fit for the occasion.

Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a bellman named Will. He was fantastic and helped us out of the car, helped us gather the bags to be checked, and arranged for valet. Our next stop was the check-in counter. The check-in process was relatively painless and the woman behind the counter was pleasant, but our room was not ready. We arrived 30 minutes before check-in time, so not a big deal; they'd call when our room was ready. We went and walked around Michigan Ave. for about an hour before returning to the hotel, still not hearing anything on our room. At this point we just wanted to put our feet up and relax, so we approached the front desk and were informed that our room was indeed ready and had been for some time. Thanks for the phone call...

Once we got into the room, our bags were delivered promptly by a very nice bellman, didn't catch his name. After unpacking a few things and taking a few minutes to get acquainted, we wanted to have a drink. Oddly, there are no glasses in the guestrooms and you must contact housekeeping for some. Not a big deal, but I'd like to think I could be trusted with a few pieces of glassware. It took housekeeping 25 minutes to arrive with the glasses, but they came with 2 instead of the 4 we had requested. Not only that, the man who delivered the glasses were holding them with his bare hands, glasses not wrapped or packaged in anything. I'm not sure if his hands were just utterly dirty or the glasses hadn't been washed properly, but I had to give them a good scrubbing in the bathroom to get rid of the ridiculous amount of grime on them. After a drink or two we decided to just relax and take a nap until dinner time.

After dinner and a fun time at Potter's Lounge for a nightcap, we returned to the hotel to sink into bed and get some good rest, planning to sleep in the next morning and enjoy ourselves. Unfortunately, at 10:10AM we awoke to a terrible grinding noise. After five minutes we realized it wasn't just a guest, and called the front desk to find out what was going on. A man named Marcus answered the phone; I explained what we were hearing and asked if there was construction or something else going on near us. He said they were installing new furniture and carpets on the floor above us and that it would be continuing for another few hours. Marcus offered to have us relocated to a new room, but I figured by the time we got up, got ready and packed everything up, the construction would probably be finished. It wasn't so much the construction that bothered me, I understand those things have to happen and there isn't really a great time to take care of them in a hotel. I would have just like a heads up when I booked the room, or at least a notice at check-in that there would be morning construction the next day. Marcus seemed uninterested and pre-occupied the entire time on the phone; I didn't feel like he really cared at all about our concerns.

Anywho, we got ready and left the hotel as soon as we could to get away from the grinding and crumbling drywall noises coming from above us. While showering, I noticed the tub drain wasn't working very well and I ended up standing in 3 inches of water for the duration of the shower. If I wanted to splash around, I'd have taken a bath. We left the hotel and spent the afternoon wandering the Gold Coast and visiting MSI. We returned to the hotel in the afternoon to relax. My fiancee had a question about the automatic mini-bar system, and called the front desk to ask them about it. Marcus answered again, and gave her the same uninterested service that we'd received earlier in the day.

A bit later in the day I had contacted Instant Service to ask about dry cleaning service and have a bag sent up. 40 minutes later a man arrived with no less than five dry cleaning bags, said nothing but "Hi" to me, and then took off. After I put a few dress shirts and slacks in a single bag, I called Instant Service again to find out what to do with the bag. The woman on the phone informed me that the man who delivered the bags should have waited and taken it with him. She said to drop the bag at the front desk and they'd get it where it needs to go. Unfortunately the next time we went downstairs, I forgot the bag and missed the dleadline for getting my laundry back the next morning. My fault for forgetting the bag, but it would have been nice to have the service man take it also.

The next annoyance came at 3:45PM on Saturday afternoon. We were napping in bed and then all of a sudden there's a loud knock on the door. I grudgingly opened the door to be greeted by a hotel employee wanting to know if we needed anything. Nice to have someone check, but completely ignoring the do-not-disturb sign on the door was just silly and rude.

Sunday morning we got out of the hotel as soon as possible to hopefully recover what was left of the trip. All went well while venturing around the city. We returned to the hotel around 4:30 to retrieve our checked bags and car. The bellman Keenan asked how our stay was and I was honest with him. Told him about the construction and a few other things, and he offered to comp on of the movies we had rented during our stay. A nice gesture, one of the few we'd experienced during our stay. Thanks Keenan!

That said, I will never stay at the Intercontinental again, and I will not recommend it to anyone. It's a shame, really, because the older portions of the hotel are beautiful. The pool is gorgeous and the Camelot-themed meeting rooms and ballrooms are magnificent. Very cool atmosphere in that area of the hotel. I wish I could rate this hotel better, as its location is fantastic also. Barely north of the river, right on Michigan Avenue. Perfect walking distance to anything in The Loop, Mile North, or the Gold Coast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ryan C
ICMagMile, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Mr. Ryan C.

Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Cintia Becerra
Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Great hotel at reasonable prices! Staff is second to none, they are very polite and friendly treating all guests like royalty. Location is awesome, right on the Magnificent Mile by the river. Plenty of shopping and site seeing all within a walk. Dining too, though I'd highly recommend Michael Jordan's Steakhouse that is connected to the hotel; even got to see him there on our stay, pretty cool that he frequents it and takes pride in such a fabulous restaurant.

High floor is a must, great views to be had and the elevators are speedy so it doesn't take long to reach that 25th floor.

TIP: Don't even try and find the parking garage, they only offer Valet service so you can drive around all you want but will end up at the front door when you realize there is no "self parking" at this hotel. Valet is $57 a Night, kinda pricey!

Room Tip: TIP: Don't even try and find the parking garage, they only offer Valet service so you can drive...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Amazing service, great rooms (34th floor, historic tower).

Pay for a one of the better rooms, sign up for Ambassador club and you are sure to get a great experience!

Efficient and friendly concierge services.

• Stayed February 2013
ICMagMile, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read you enjoy our Ambassador program we can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Cintia Becerra
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Found this hotel through a travel site and recieved excellent value for the price. Will was the door person there and was especially helpful as were the concierge staff. Overall excellent experience and great location.

• Stayed February 2013
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was, quite simply, an amazing hotel. First time I've stayed at this hotel, and it was far superior to other hotels I have stayed at in the city. The reservation staff are EXCELLENT at fulfilling any requests you may have (tip: ask for a room high up in the historic tower). I had a few specific requests for my room and they met all of them with a smile and no hidden charges or fees like at other places. Our room was very uniquely laid out, with a 20 foot long hallway separating the bathroom and bedroom (all within the room), but we thought this was awesome and just made it more unique. GREAT city views too. The fitness center is fantastic, and the pool is not only huge, but the pool room is just a sight to be seen. I cannot think of a single thing I did not like about my stay here.

I booked this through Hotwire, without knowing the hotel before booking, and got an amazing deal for the room. Now I hope any time I ever book a hotel in Chicago through Hotwire I will be lucky enough to end up back at the Intercontinental.

Oh yeah, by joining the priority club (for free), I got two complimentary drinks at the attached Starbucks AND a complimentary 2pm checkout. Awesome deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the historic tower, they are amazing! 39th floor has a ledge partially blocking t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental last weekend with a decent Priceline rate. Everyone at the desk and door were very friendly. However, on a Saturday early afternoon there were only 2 attendants. So we had to wait 10 minutes or so and find out that our room was not ready yet. We were an hour before official check in time so no big deal. We left our bags with the bellhops who were very pleasant and went out to Michigan Ave. Got a call in less than 15 minutes saying our room was ready so I went to put our stuff in there while my family continued to shop. Unfortunately, I had to wait in line again to get my key and this time there was only 1 attendant. She was very pleasant but overall it took almost 1/2 hour to check in! The room was very nice and clean but a little on the small side and the fan for the heat ran constantly. The pool was awesome however it is deep (4' min) so not great for little kids. The location is great and the people were very nice but overall my experience was average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear TJT0321,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry about the pool. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seminole, Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at this property. It is a beautiful property and well located. The service and amenities are exactly what you've come to expect from an IC. With this being a historic hotel, it's bound to have it's quirks. The day I was there, there was an issue with the hot water in my room. The issue was resolved and all was well. I will stay here again on my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business