“Chicago Marathon Trip!!”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Perfect Location but needs an update!! The rooms are ok and the staff are polite and informative!! love the location because it was important for my wife shopping in Michigan ave and for the start line of the marathon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,840)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our fourth stay and as always everything was fabulous from the rooms to the awesome service that we received. There is also the bonus of the Michael Jordan Steakhouse. The InterContinental will always be at the top of my list. Joseph P

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We usually spend New Year's in Chicago. Always try a different hotel. This hotel has an excellent location on Michigan Ave and an amazing pool but it was missing that grandeur feeling like the Palmer House or the Peninsula. The guest room was ok but nothing special and the amenities could have been much better. I was very surprised to see the cups in the bathroom in plastic wraps and then my child realized that the cup too was plastic...welcome to the Red Roof Inn. It caught me totally off guard and when I asked for real glass cups they sent us two wine glasses. At this point we just laughed. The next day on our way to Yolk for breakfast, I went to mention this and some other things i.e. Window and the draft coming through and the concierge said….. That was common and as for the cups it is a complaint they hear but management deems it to be the right solution for that hotel. As a traveller and someone who has stayed at other Intercons I can say that is not their norm and I was surprised that the Regional Office has allowed this particular hotel to use plastic cups. Would I stay at this particular hotel again....No because we weren’t wowed and their Eno wine bar was also subpar, in particular with the lady behind the bar and her snarky attitude towards my wife and I. As we always say, if you are unhappy with life please do not get in to the service industry. If you want to have a good wine and cheese experience in Chicago go to TR on Oak street where you get treated in a way all wine lovers like to be treated.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear SavvyTraveler738,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so glad you liked the fine location of our hotel and you found our pool facility to be amazing. We are sorry you were not satisfied with your room amenities and the service you received fell below your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have just returned from a stay at this property with my daughter, who flew in from college for some job interviews. We normally stay at the Ritz Four Seasons at Watertower, but chose this location as it was a little more centrally located. We were greeted by Will, the Doorman, in a very gracious manner and shown to the front desk.Will was wonderful for the entire stay, and each morning he would greet me asking something about the day before and teasing me because I always seem "busy and on the go". He is a real asset to the hotel. The staff at the desk was very polite and informative. We requested an upgraded room, and they had one available so they allowed us to have it, at no additional charge. Our room was very spacious, however it looked like it needed updating- very dark and nothing really special. When I inquired about the decor, they said our room was one of the newly renovated ones.... The beds are really comfortable and we slept great there. The concierge was extremely helpful in getting us some spa treatments at the Nordstrom's spa across the street- both convenient and great treatment.
At the end of our stay, I called down to see if they would honor a late checkout at 4:00- as my daughter didn't know when her interviews would be over and needed to change again before travel. I was told that would not be possible, and accepted a 1pm checkout, standard. However, when I was in the elevator, a gentleman asked me how I was enjoying my stay and I responded positively. As luck would have it, he was the GM of the hotel- and handed me his card in case I needed anything. I asked him about the possibility of a later check out and explained our situation, and he took me to the front desk and had them check if our suite had been booked yet. It was available, so they honored my request, which was wonderful!!
I would say the property itself is above average, nothing really special. What makes this hotel wonderful is its staff and its commitment to meeting or exceeding your expectations- which it does!!

Room Tip: ask for the newly renovated historic tower-
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have heard nothing, but rave reviews of this hotel, but I have just checked in and the following has occurred.

1. I was sent to a room that was not cleaned with trash and dirty towels around. The bed was unmade, the tv was on, and it was filthy.
2. I then hauled my luggage back downstairs and went to the back of the line to find a new room. The "Room Specialist" went to the back for awhile before finally returning explaining they made a mistake.
3. I had also called days in advance inquriing whether or not fridges were available and I was told they were. Now I am told that all fridges are taken and I have food and medication that needs to be refrigerated so I will be forced to fill an ice bucket and store my items in there. I was told I could attempt to put things in the mini-bar, but if anything moves at all, I will be charged.

I am here 11 more nights so I hope someone reads this and contacts me as the front desk has been no help.

2  Thank Adam M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Adam M,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Karen G.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Ok, we all know that the Intercontinental has a great location for shopping, theater, and business. It used to feel like a 4 star property with sophistication and charm. No more. I booked a king room in the tower. Tiny, tiny rooom. Filthy carpet. Ripped wallpaper and damaged molding. Dingy, dingy. Took 45 minutes and at least 5 phone calls to get a travel toothbrush delivered to my room. So sad. Now the pro's: Wonderful parking attendent and doorman. That's it. Don't stay here-for the same money you can have a much better experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maui-no-Kai-oi
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Kelli C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. kindly be assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly as your comments will also be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Karen G.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel is representative of the city's incredibly beautiful, historic architecture, stands smack in the middle of the Magnificent Mile, is within walking distance to everything, and offers anything one could need. It is wonderful in every respect. The staff is genuinely kind and helpful, anticipating needs rather than just responding to them, both from an individual and business perspective. My room had a knockout view of the city. I loved wandering the historic tower and discovering the hotel's past, which has been beautifully preserved. I'm looking forward to returning again soon. Truly, greatly run and managed.

Room Tip: View from a corner room on the 34th floor with a view of the Tribune Tower is gorgeous!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear NewYorkDarby,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to learn that you found comfort in your room and that our service team was able to graciously assist you throughout your visit. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!