“Nickel and Dime you again and again”

InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #75 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas, United States
“Nickel and Dime you again and again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

With this "prestigious" hotel when you pay for a room you literally ONLY GET A ROOM. ALL OTHER AMENITIES MUST BE PAID FOR, well I guess surprisingly the toilet paper in your room you do not have to pay extra for, but everything else you do. You have to pay just to use their really poor gym, you have to pay to park, the internet costs $17!!!

The staff was unfriendly and flat rude when called for basic hotel items, like why the in room 'concierge' computer did not work, where the gym was, etc.. Staff tried to use me to get other staff in trouble which I absolutely HATE. At the end of my stay there were a ton of surprise charges from a mini bar I never used, that I had to argue with the clerk about. He was extremely rude.

I was here for a conference and then for pleasure. During the conference, the food served by the hotel was poor quality and cheap. Navigating the hotel is frustrating because parts of the building is not connected so you have to go all over just to get to where you want to go.

As far as room service, there is NOTHING reasonably priced on the menu AT ALL! And the food I got was NOT WORTH WHAT I HAD TO PAY FOR IT, and the dessert I ordered was burnt.

We also went to the Michael Jordan steakhouse in the hotel, but were disappointed. The menu was very basic with a limited selection, and nothing special about the very expensive food.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location, it is easy to get to a lot of shopping on mag mile, but it is still definitely not worth the stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincerest apology for the disappointing experience. There are different and inclusive options for the varies different outlets and services. If you do return to Chicago please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to show you how great our service and hotel is. Simon.Chapman@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I just checked in yesterday for my annual 5 days stay. As an Ambassador, even though I booked thru the convention web site, I was upgraded to a suite and when I asked for the larger suite with French Doors the staff downstairs just asked me to wait for a moment and then changed my room. They were only concerned that there was something wrong with the first room (which there wasn't, I just wanted the larger one). Both the check in with Margaret and the changing of the rooms with Cintia was quick and efficient. Yes, the hotel is not new and the beds are not the softest in the world but I find the staff as accommodating as can be and no negative surprises. Housekeeping is a little slow but it is a big hotel and really not a big issue. In fact they already put in my record my preferences for next year. I will continue to come back, it's nice when you come just once or twice a year to be recognized and received warmly.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in the old Tower part, it was old, shabby, and felt like there was no light (there was none! only lamps which weren't that bright). Felt like I was staying in a cave. The room was large and was fine, but just well, dated. Bed was comfy! Plastic/cardboard cups, some flimsy robe that looked like it had been washed/used about a 1000 times, no slippers. Just not that great. And wifi $17.95 per day. These charges are outrageous when other hotels offer a free service. Good luck, the whole thing feels like a bad tasting tourist mecca.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had my wedding in late Sept 2012 and Chris Schmidt and Tomasz Sulliga went above and beyond my expectations in making the wedding planning a wonderful experience! Chris was always very prompt in responding to emails and open to questions/ideas. After signing the contract, I recalled stopping by at the hotel several times without advance notice to check out at the ballroom and the customer service was always phenomenal! Chris and Tomasz stopped by a few times to personally check on my husband and me during the rehearsal and prior to the wedding ceremony to make sure we were in a good shape. They were always around when we needed help.

Overall, wonderful staff and outstanding customer service! I would definitely recommend getting married at InterCon Chicago to everyone.

Irene

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for the 5 star rating !! Feedback is a gift and I will certainly look for different avenues to promote the spa services and thank the houskeeping ladies.
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Made a last minute reso for a business meeting nearby. Hotel was in a great spot for me to walk to meetings, bars, restaurants. Got a good rate even compared with the Marriott across the street. Hung out at the Purple Pig across Michigan and all I had to do was waddle back across the street to my hotel. They had a very strong odor coming from some cleaning they were doing on the outside of the hotel walls so they moved me to an even nicer room - although I had to call three times to get someone to come smell my room... Clive the bellman was superb and moved all my stuff. The indoor pool is AMAZING - reminiscent of the Hearst Castle. Good healthclub too. Michael Jordan's is a good meeting place, but I would recommend heading out for dinner. Oh, and Starbucks is literally attached to the lobby!

Room Tip: There is an old part and a new tower. Rooms on Illinois street are quieter. Check out the wall acro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am an Ambassador Gold Member, which guarantees me a room. I was recently quoted $1000.00 for a 1weekend night stay at the lowest price level, standard room. I find this ridiculous and insulting. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels in Chicago on weekends at this time of year, such as The Trump, The Peninsula, The Fairmont, The Four Season & Ritz Carlton to name a few. The hotels I am mentioning have all been suite rooms with a view, for a lot less. I find it very hard to believe a standard room at the Intercontinental, has anything more to offer than any of the others. I called the Ambassador customer service for reservations and I was connected directly to the hotel & quoted the price. I would not recommend investing the money in being an Ambassador Gold Member. I've had issues at other Intercontinental Hotels using it.

Room Tip: Way over priced. Better prices with better locations and 5+ stars in the same area of Chicago.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DDCee
Please accept my sincerest apology for the poor experience you have had with your ambassador membership. I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental and further review the details of your reservation experience. Please contact the Director of Front Office - simon.chapman@ihg.com
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel location was great and the staff was very friendly, especially the housekeeping ladies. We stayed in one of the suites in the historical tower which was very spacious, nicely furnished and with great views. My girlfriend and I used the spa and we were extremely surprised about the great service. We got a couples massage and we both agreed that the experience was comparable to some of the amazing SPA's that we have visited in Bali and Bangkok. We would have booked a few more massages during our stay but didn't really "discovered" the SPA until almost the end of our stay when we were in the fitness center exercising and overheard another guest praising the massages. We highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for the great comments which I will share with Robert.