“Back again and not dissappointed”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #67 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just checked in yesterday for my annual 5 days stay. As an Ambassador, even though I booked thru the convention web site, I was upgraded to a suite and when I asked for the larger suite with French Doors the staff downstairs just asked me to wait for a moment and then changed my room. They were only concerned that there was something wrong with the first room (which there wasn't, I just wanted the larger one). Both the check in with Margaret and the changing of the rooms with Cintia was quick and efficient. Yes, the hotel is not new and the beds are not the softest in the world but I find the staff as accommodating as can be and no negative surprises. Housekeeping is a little slow but it is a big hotel and really not a big issue. In fact they already put in my record my preferences for next year. I will continue to come back, it's nice when you come just once or twice a year to be recognized and received warmly.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,868)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed in the old Tower part, it was old, shabby, and felt like there was no light (there was none! only lamps which weren't that bright). Felt like I was staying in a cave. The room was large and was fine, but just well, dated. Bed was comfy! Plastic/cardboard cups, some flimsy robe that looked like it had been washed/used about a 1000 times, no slippers. Just not that great. And wifi $17.95 per day. These charges are outrageous when other hotels offer a free service. Good luck, the whole thing feels like a bad tasting tourist mecca.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had my wedding in late Sept 2012 and Chris Schmidt and Tomasz Sulliga went above and beyond my expectations in making the wedding planning a wonderful experience! Chris was always very prompt in responding to emails and open to questions/ideas. After signing the contract, I recalled stopping by at the hotel several times without advance notice to check out at the ballroom and the customer service was always phenomenal! Chris and Tomasz stopped by a few times to personally check on my husband and me during the rehearsal and prior to the wedding ceremony to make sure we were in a good shape. They were always around when we needed help.

Overall, wonderful staff and outstanding customer service! I would definitely recommend getting married at InterCon Chicago to everyone.

Irene

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you for the 5 star rating !! Feedback is a gift and I will certainly look for different avenues to promote the spa services and thank the houskeeping ladies.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Made a last minute reso for a business meeting nearby. Hotel was in a great spot for me to walk to meetings, bars, restaurants. Got a good rate even compared with the Marriott across the street. Hung out at the Purple Pig across Michigan and all I had to do was waddle back across the street to my hotel. They had a very strong odor coming from some cleaning they were doing on the outside of the hotel walls so they moved me to an even nicer room - although I had to call three times to get someone to come smell my room... Clive the bellman was superb and moved all my stuff. The indoor pool is AMAZING - reminiscent of the Hearst Castle. Good healthclub too. Michael Jordan's is a good meeting place, but I would recommend heading out for dinner. Oh, and Starbucks is literally attached to the lobby!

Room Tip: There is an old part and a new tower. Rooms on Illinois street are quieter. Check out the wall acro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am an Ambassador Gold Member, which guarantees me a room. I was recently quoted $1000.00 for a 1weekend night stay at the lowest price level, standard room. I find this ridiculous and insulting. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels in Chicago on weekends at this time of year, such as The Trump, The Peninsula, The Fairmont, The Four Season & Ritz Carlton to name a few. The hotels I am mentioning have all been suite rooms with a view, for a lot less. I find it very hard to believe a standard room at the Intercontinental, has anything more to offer than any of the others. I called the Ambassador customer service for reservations and I was connected directly to the hotel & quoted the price. I would not recommend investing the money in being an Ambassador Gold Member. I've had issues at other Intercontinental Hotels using it.

Room Tip: Way over priced. Better prices with better locations and 5+ stars in the same area of Chicago.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DDCee

Please accept my sincerest apology for the poor experience you have had with your ambassador membership. I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the InterContinental and further review the details of your reservation experience. Please contact the Director of Front Office - simon.chapman@ihg.com

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel location was great and the staff was very friendly, especially the housekeeping ladies. We stayed in one of the suites in the historical tower which was very spacious, nicely furnished and with great views. My girlfriend and I used the spa and we were extremely surprised about the great service. We got a couples massage and we both agreed that the experience was comparable to some of the amazing SPA's that we have visited in Bali and Bangkok. We would have booked a few more massages during our stay but didn't really "discovered" the SPA until almost the end of our stay when we were in the fitness center exercising and overheard another guest praising the massages. We highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you for the great comments which I will share with Robert.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'm a chicago resident, have stayed in this hotel and use the gym and pool regularly as a member of the gym. I believe it is the largest pool in downtown Chicago, and perfect for lap swimming! No small hotel pool here!

Robert K. is usually at the gym front desk when I swim and is so friendly and helpful with anything I need.

I've also eaten in Eno (the wine and cheese bar downstairs) and the food and service is great!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank chicagotraveler_1979
ICMagMile, Front Office Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for the feedback. I will certainly share your comments with Robert as I know he really cares about the members and guests. Enjoy the pool, they don't make them like that anymore.