“Super close to downtown, internet connectivity unclear, nice hotel, expensive parking”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #70 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We paid $115 a night from Priceline. When I asked upon check in if a King size room was available (I always ask, half the time they say yes) the gal curtly replied "no we don't", and promptly put us in a room next to the elevator. We heard a faint whizzing every few seconds the whole time - all night long. The elevator was literally right around the corner, so the elevator walls were up against the walls in our room. I was too tired to argue. So that was that. They weren't rude, but they made it pretty clear they don't appreciate everyone's business. However, the beds were comfortable and the room itself was really nice. Bathroom was huge. Coffee maker, safe, fridge, iron, blo dryer, all in room. You can also borrow from an extensive list - free weights, yoga mat, curling iron, etc. The internet situation wasn't apparent, I almost input my credit card number so I could get access, but my husband stopped me because he noticed on the TV that we could either pay for high speed or use the wifi at no charge. My ipad defaulted to the high speed pay as you go option so I assumed they charged for Internet access. Glad he turned the TV on and noticed the instructions! Parking was $34 a night, come and go as often as you want, use your key card to swipe in and out. Would I stay here again? Probably. The location is more toward the south side of Chicago and is very easy to get downtown and back.

Room Tip: Maybe ask if you can take a look at the room first before you accept. I have read other reviews that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GBPackerFan4evah
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear GBPackerFan4evah,

I'm so very sorry to read about the way our front desk team made you feel! We appreciate everyone's business, no matter what means they use to make their reservation. I will make sure that the Front Office Manager as well as entire Front Desk Team sees your review so that we can use it as a training tool. I really appreciate your taking the time to share so that we can improve for the next guest. I will also ask our IT Manager and Internet Service Provider to look into our Wifi splash page, as the free Wifi option is supposed to come up first. I'm happy that you didn't pay for the premium speed unnecessarily. We're happy to hear that you would come back and stay with us again, and we look forward to it!

Social Media Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Markham, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2014

As a loyal Diamond member, I admit that I have high standards when it comes to CLEANLINESS and QUIETNESS. I am pleased that the staff including the GM take these concerns as well as others seriously and consider my suggestions for improvement. As a frequent hotel guest, it makes me feel like family!

Room Tip: If you like a city line view, choose a room at the West end of the main building. If you like more o...
Green Features: No air freshener to mask unpleasant odours. No bedbugs.The down side to taking apart the bedding to check is the potential discovery of a soiled mattress pad. A proper duvet cover would be more clean than a duvet to be sandwiched between two loose sheets that come apart.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank GD566
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear GKD888,

Thank you very much for being a loyal, Diamond level Hyatt Gold Passport member! We appreciate your business and comments and look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night for the On The Run Tour (JayZ & beyonce). All staff was very friendly, hotel was nice and clean, view was amazing of the city!!
Walk to Soldier Field was so close and convient. Will stay again for sure.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Akuna M
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Akuna M,

I heard the Jay Z and Beyonce concert was amazing, and I hope you had a great time. Thank you for making us a part of your concert-going experience. Many travelers and even Chicago locals don't realize how close our location actually is to Soldier Field, so thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor. We can't wait to welcome you back for future concerts or games.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at this Hyatt recently and I enjoyed every minute of my stay there. The trip was for work but we had a great time. I was able to upgrade to one of their Eexcutive Suites which was amazing. The staff is very friendly from the front desk to M/X Lounge. The water views were a treat as well as the view of downtown.

We held our meetings in the adjoining convention center, so there was a lot of walking. This was much needed since we had a lot of great food and drinks. :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Summer M
Dear Summer M,

I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially the upgrade to one of our luxurious Executive Suites! Thanks for sharing the photo of the great view from the room, a picture truly says a thousand words. Thank you for your business!

cedar Rapids, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My teens and I had a great stay at the Hyatt. The staff was very helpful with helping us locate a venue that the kids were attending a concert. Everyone was very friendly and kind. We would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

1 Thank Jana N
LizJaquez, Owner at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Jana N,

Thanks for staying with us for your recent concert. We're just a quick walk from Soldier Field and Northerly Island where many summer concerts take place. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will back and see us for future concerts or family trips to Chicago!

Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We purposefully those this hotel because my wife was attending a large conference at the convention center, reachable without having to go outside. We upgraded to a "view" room on the 33rd floor, for about $30 extra night. Total cost was over $300, which is high, but not super high for Chicago in the summer. Due to the location and conference, we ate most dinners in the hotel's Shor restaurant or M/X lounge. Actually pretty good. We walked 2-3 blocks to a small market to buy breakfast items we stores in the room's refrigerator. We also made use of a nearby dry cleaner with same-day or overnight service. There is a small number of smaller eateries, including White Castle, within walking distance. The neighborhood is not the best, but I never felt unsafe walking around, at least during the day. Saw lots of people jogging, and using bicycles.

It was about a 15 minute max walk to the nearest light rail station, which I used a couple of times to go downtown for shopping. My wife had to go to Midwest Orthopedics at Rush University a few times for physical therapy sessions, and cab ranged from $14-17 each way. Trip downtown was about $12, as I recall.

View from our room was excellent when there wasn't fog from Lake Michigan obscuring it. Pool was a bit cool, but indoors and nice. Fitness center large.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sutter,

As someone who clearly travels a lot, we appreciate your taking the time comment on your experience. To save money on cab fare, the #3 CTA but stops right in front of the hotel and will take you up Michigan Ave to the Loop, Mag Mile, Millennium Park, and all other CTA train and bus stops. The METRA rail also stops next door in McCormick Place. I apologize if these public transportation options were not explained to you. The El is not the only public transportation option in town :) Thanks for sharing all the great pictures from your top floor guest room. We hope to be able to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago!

West St Paul, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt MP for a 3 day conference. Overall, this is an excellent hotel for conference attendees. Everything is immaculate and the rooms were pristine. If I were just going to Chicago for leisure, I do not think this would be the ideal hotel to stay at. There isn't really anything in the neighborhood that you can walk to (bars, restaurants, convenience stores). It'll cost you about a $20 cab ride plus tip to go into downtown Chicago. Free wifi and fitness center were added bonuses as you never see this amenity included anymore. The cable selection was great. As a sports fan, I've never seen NBATV included in a hotel TV package like there was here. Plus the channels were all in HD. Again, something I rarely see at hotels yet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

1 Thank Michael D
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Michael D,

Thank you for staying with us for your conference. We recently completed a complete renovation including all our public areas and guestrooms, so I'm glad you enjoyed our space. To save money on cab fare, try the #3 CTA bus. It stops right in front of the hotel every 10-15 minutes and will take you up MIchigan Ave to the Loop, Millennium Park, the Mag Mile, and more. Please keep us in mind for future visits to Chicago, even for leisure, as we are walking distance to Soldier Field (since you are a sports fan) as well as Museum Campus. Thank you again for your business!