“Nice Geam in the city”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very popular hotel on the out skirts of the city. Clean design, open lobby with desperate check in tables. Lobby on the side with a nice walk through to the conference facilities. Interesting design for a Starbucks/hotel confectionery department. Lots of botteled drinks, health foods, luxury chocolates and in cased passteries. Large setting area over looking the Chicago conference facilities with fountains.

Rooms had been recently renovated. New everything, beds, furniture, carpet, bathrooms etc... Very nice, warm colors, freshness appeared everywhere.

Restaurant was pretty good although slow on service. Food was good, but expensive. The bar was smallish stools and no bench seating. Hard if you have a broken leg.

A lot of events around hotel because of it being right next to the convention center. Found it not to interfer with the hotel and it's guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 360travelor
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear 360Traveler,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience! We appreciate your business and your taking the time to comment. We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I recently stayed here over the long wknd as it had an incredible deal ($99/night) for a very expensive city (as far as hotels go). My thoughts as follows:

Pros:

- Arnold @ Shor restaurant. His service and demeanor were the best thing about the whole stay, exceptional service and not because it is his job but because he believes in it. I honestly cannot say enough about how pleasant he was and the service he provided. The breakfast buffet was $16.99 and the quality was about average but there was quite a lot of selection. You don't have many choices in this area other then McD's (7 min walk) but Arnold's service is worth it.
- The beds and bedding (sheets, Pacific Coast Duvets) were incredibly comfortable and clean. I would prob say it is the comfiest bed(ing) i have slept on in the 100+ hotels i have stayed at.
- The hotel is very clean and new, the rooms were very clean and the maid staff are excellent
- Very soft towels, a must IMO
- Staff are helpful, i had very limited interaction with most staff but my interactions were positive
- The gym was exceptional for a hotel gym. I work out all the time and i found that i could do the majority of what i needed to at this gym. it wasn't just the 1 multi purpose machine but had quite a lot of choice. Much appreciated

Cons:
- As everyone has mentioned the location is not that grt. There isn't a lot around it but then again if you are staying there you are aware of the location and it isn't the hotels fault. You can get the #3 bus to the Loop etc and it runs quite frequently but it is a pain in the butt and it can get very crowded (mainly due to the long wknd and also the red line being under construction).
- The biggest con for me and this is a personal preference is the sink is in between the bedroom and bathroom (European style, not in the bathroom) which is a huge nuisance if your partner has a different schedule etc as it will keep them awake whenever you get ready/wash up after going to bathroom. Be aware of this if you have different schedules.
- The plumbing is quite loud in the room, if you are a light sleeper this will cause you issues as you will def hear flushing and showering throughout the night.
- The doors slam shut whenever you close them (cannot quietly close a door as the handle locks) so again if you are a light sleeper you will hear slamming doors all night long and in the early morning. This was a huge irritant.
- Only 1 towel rack in the entire bathroom (in the bathtub) or sink area. This is incredible that a hotel room would only have 1 towel rack.

Overall it is a clean, new, nice hotel and i would recommend staying there. The location is not the best but you know that when you book it. If you are a tourist exploring the city or have small kids (have to take the kids on the bus) you will want to stay closer to the loop but if you get a good deal i would def stay here.

I would highly recommend taking public transport over cabs as it is super easy if you want to save some cash. If you are coming from Midway Airport here are directions:

- Take the orange line towards the loop (only goes one direction into the city as the line ends at the airport)
- Get off at Roosevelt stop (if you are hungry there is a Five Guys/Trader Joe's etc there)
- Walk east towards S Michigan Avenue (two streets over, 1st street past S Wabash)
- Make a right on S Michigan Avenue and you can get the #3 bus just past the Subway restaurant
- Your stop is McCormick Place - 45 mins or so from door to door

Hope this helps.

1  Thank TravellingBill33

Dear TravellingBill3,

Thank you for sharing your 4-star experience. As someone who clearly travels and stay in hotels often, your detailed recommendation will surely be helpful for future guests. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire management staff to take a look at some of your issues include the closure of the doors and towel racks. We hope the next time your business brings you back to Chicago, you will keep us in mind.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having never been to Chicago before,my wife and I needed a hotel within walking distance to soldier field for bears/bengals game this past weekend.We got exactly what we needed here.After reading many reviews here,we had an idea ofwhat to expect and were not disappointed.Got a great room with a beautiful city view from 23rd floor,staff were very helpful.Only had breakfast buffet in restaurant and it was excellent.No negatives for us.We loveChicago

1  Thank IowaFarmall
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear IowaFarmall,

Thanks for coming to stay with us for the Bears game! I hope you had fun! The walk is quite convenient and you can't beat our city views! Please keep us in mind for future games or concerts at Soldier Field, our staff would love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here recently for a quick two night getaway in Chicago. We quickly learned that the better hotels near the Loop were not in the mood to discount, so we ended up paying less than half the comparable rate at this four star(from a discount website) by staying at the Convention Center, about 20 minutes by bus from the heart of downtown.

This was typical Hyatt quality-a beautiful room, well kept public areas and a well equipped fitness center. Service started out great-on request the front desk gave us a room with a bit of a view even though we booked through a discounter. The "less than perfect" came later that day came when we had to wait the best part of an hour to get replacements for our feather pillows due to allergy issues.One of the disadvantages of staying here is the distance from downtown, and since we had a late flight out on our check out day we were looking for a place to leave our luggage. Not wanting to have to store our bags at this Hyatt, because of the hassle of coming back from downtown to get them), we asked the bell staff to call to the Hyatt near the Magnificent Mile to arrange for them to hold our bags there-now there's a great way to make up for the slip up the first night. Unfortunately the staff wasn't quite up to snuff-they suggested "yes that will probably be OK but you will have to go there yourself and ask them". A simple phone call by an "on the ball" staff person would have made all the difference in our impression of the Hyatt service, but it was not to be..

Bottom line-was the inconvenience of staying away from the center of town? In our case I would say so. The saving was very significant (I suspect it could well be less or non existent on weekdays if there is a big convention going) but because we had a transit pass and the bus service to and from downtown was pretty frequent (every 15 minutes, right in front of the hotel), it wasn't a big hassle.

1  Thank Cannuckk

Dear Cannuckk,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm pleased you got a good value from us. I'm very sorry for the experience you described with our bell staff. I will be sure to share with the Front Desk Managers to address with the staff. Customer service is extremely important to us, especially the added touches for which you were looking. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to comment so that our staff can use your situation as a training tool for the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Overall our room was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love the decor and how it was remodel. Didn't get a great view but then again it was for sleeping arrangement. We had a handheld shower but it wasnt flush with the hose so the water would sprinkle out so that was quite annoying. There was a very long line we waited over 30mins to check in. Only two ppl were checking ppl in. Wish there was more stuff on duty. The service person that check us in was very nice though. So because of a few things I came it a four dot and not a whole five.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tamicash

Dear Tamicash,

Thank you very much for your feedback as well as your business. I will be sure to share your comments about check in with our Front Desk Manager so that we can address staffing levels. We certainly don't intend to have anyone waiting that long, and I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hard to say anything bad about this place. Apparently the south tower we stayed in was recently remodeled, and it was very very nice. For convention-goers to McCormick Place convention center it is ideal. Other than that, if you are just regular tourists (as my brother-in-law an I were), it's a bit south of everything. It's about a 20+ minute walk to the museum campus, and about the same to Chinatown. We didn't mind the walking, as it helped burn the calories we put on by eating Chicago style hot dogs and deep dish pizza! If you wanted to take the train to the loop, you would have to walk toward Chinatown. I'm not that familiar with the train transit system, but I can also tell you that the Metra can be caught in McCormick Place. We did catch a CTA train back from Wrigley Field, which required a transfer to the bus. It was actually pretty slick (a $5.00 train/bus ride for two, as opposed to a ~$30+ cab ride).

Anyhow, as for the hotel, it was ultra-quiet! Hard to tell you had neighbors unless you were in the bathroom and heard the water running next door. We were right across the hall from the ice and soda pop machine, and never heard a noise. Street noise was almost non-existent on the 28th floor. Heard a siren once. Beds were firm, but comfortable. Small refrigerator in the room, and a coffee maker that made two large cups of good coffee. Iron, ironing board. Makeup mirror for women. Oh, and the view was spectacular (our view was of South Chicago and the lake).

We actually spent little time in the hotel room, but for the time we were there, I would give this hotel a solid 4 star rating!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear DLandDL,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment on your stay. Thank you for sharing the details on the public transportation. The #3 bus can save readers a lot of money on cabs to the Loop or North side. I hope you will keep us in mind the next time you are in Chicago. Our staff would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had a great experience while staying for two nights during Labor Day weekend stay as I previewed the Chicago Marathon course. The good: Great rate b/c of slow holiday weekend (I normally wouldn't be able to afford the standard rate); staff-courteous,attentive,helpful. Allowed me to check in at 12:30pm; bag storage available. Once the bellhop was away from the desk, perhaps helping a guest, and I had to wait a few minutes for him to return so I could leave my bag with him for the afternoon after checkout; room-spotless, spacious, possibly renovated recently, comfortable w climate control, iron, safe (I was told no charge), small fridge but no freezer (no charge), large shower w instantly hot water +great pressure, plenty of wooden hangers, towels+power outlets w good HDTV w DirecTV, clean carpet. Housekeeping did great job. Decent view of Lake MI. Lots of fast elevators. WiFi avail, but I didn't use. Almost no noise from other rooms. 12pm checkout. The concierge was very helpful, as the woman there provided a card map showing me how to get to the Lakefront Trail for a run. Things to note: Water tank equipment made low-level humming noise, which woke me briefly at 4:30am. No short walk to CTA station or any downtown or Loop attractions. Only convenient to the McCormick Place Convention Center. The hotel is a mile south of Grant Park and Roosevelt Road which is south of the Loop. Under optimal circumstances, it can take 40 minutes to get to the Navy Pier by bus or 45-60 minutes by bus to the North Side. You can take #3 bus north to Roosevelt Station, which runs every 10-20 min or #21 bus to Chinatown. (It's possible to get to Midway Airport from here in just less than an airport by CTA bus and train. A three-day CTA pass is $20, which you can buy at the Midway Airport Orange Line station). West of Cermak+Michigan, before Chinatown, the neighborhood is questionable. While walking to hotel from Chinatown (20 min walk) I was unnerved when a man going south on State St, abruptly changed directions and apparently followed me east on Cermak to the hotel. Nearby offerings are limited. Closest for groceries-Walgreen's in Chinatown or Trader Joe's at Roosevelt+Wabash mile to north. There is Papa John's on Michigan+Cermak and some Asian take-out. The hotel snack stand was too pricey. There is no free breakfast. I highly recommend you stay here if you can get a discounted rate unless you need to be much closer to downtown.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear WhiteFone,

Thank you very much for your business and recommendation! Good luck running the Chicago Marathon next month! We will be running a free shuttle to and from Grant Park for the Marathon. Thanks for sharing your detailed public transportation notes. I hope other TripAdvisor readers will find them helpful!