“Not Perfect, But An Enjoyable Stay”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #75 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here recently for a quick two night getaway in Chicago. We quickly learned that the better hotels near the Loop were not in the mood to discount, so we ended up paying less than half the comparable rate at this four star(from a discount website) by staying at the Convention Center, about 20 minutes by bus from the heart of downtown.

This was typical Hyatt quality-a beautiful room, well kept public areas and a well equipped fitness center. Service started out great-on request the front desk gave us a room with a bit of a view even though we booked through a discounter. The "less than perfect" came later that day came when we had to wait the best part of an hour to get replacements for our feather pillows due to allergy issues.One of the disadvantages of staying here is the distance from downtown, and since we had a late flight out on our check out day we were looking for a place to leave our luggage. Not wanting to have to store our bags at this Hyatt, because of the hassle of coming back from downtown to get them), we asked the bell staff to call to the Hyatt near the Magnificent Mile to arrange for them to hold our bags there-now there's a great way to make up for the slip up the first night. Unfortunately the staff wasn't quite up to snuff-they suggested "yes that will probably be OK but you will have to go there yourself and ask them". A simple phone call by an "on the ball" staff person would have made all the difference in our impression of the Hyatt service, but it was not to be..

Bottom line-was the inconvenience of staying away from the center of town? In our case I would say so. The saving was very significant (I suspect it could well be less or non existent on weekdays if there is a big convention going) but because we had a transit pass and the bus service to and from downtown was pretty frequent (every 15 minutes, right in front of the hotel), it wasn't a big hassle.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cannuckk
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Cannuckk,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm pleased you got a good value from us. I'm very sorry for the experience you described with our bell staff. I will be sure to share with the Front Desk Managers to address with the staff. Customer service is extremely important to us, especially the added touches for which you were looking. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to comment so that our staff can use your situation as a training tool for the future.

Social Media Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,768)

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Overall our room was BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love the decor and how it was remodel. Didn't get a great view but then again it was for sleeping arrangement. We had a handheld shower but it wasnt flush with the hose so the water would sprinkle out so that was quite annoying. There was a very long line we waited over 30mins to check in. Only two ppl were checking ppl in. Wish there was more stuff on duty. The service person that check us in was very nice though. So because of a few things I came it a four dot and not a whole five.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tamicash

Dear Tamicash,

Thank you very much for your feedback as well as your business. I will be sure to share your comments about check in with our Front Desk Manager so that we can address staffing levels. We certainly don't intend to have anyone waiting that long, and I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hard to say anything bad about this place. Apparently the south tower we stayed in was recently remodeled, and it was very very nice. For convention-goers to McCormick Place convention center it is ideal. Other than that, if you are just regular tourists (as my brother-in-law an I were), it's a bit south of everything. It's about a 20+ minute walk to the museum campus, and about the same to Chinatown. We didn't mind the walking, as it helped burn the calories we put on by eating Chicago style hot dogs and deep dish pizza! If you wanted to take the train to the loop, you would have to walk toward Chinatown. I'm not that familiar with the train transit system, but I can also tell you that the Metra can be caught in McCormick Place. We did catch a CTA train back from Wrigley Field, which required a transfer to the bus. It was actually pretty slick (a $5.00 train/bus ride for two, as opposed to a ~$30+ cab ride).

Anyhow, as for the hotel, it was ultra-quiet! Hard to tell you had neighbors unless you were in the bathroom and heard the water running next door. We were right across the hall from the ice and soda pop machine, and never heard a noise. Street noise was almost non-existent on the 28th floor. Heard a siren once. Beds were firm, but comfortable. Small refrigerator in the room, and a coffee maker that made two large cups of good coffee. Iron, ironing board. Makeup mirror for women. Oh, and the view was spectacular (our view was of South Chicago and the lake).

We actually spent little time in the hotel room, but for the time we were there, I would give this hotel a solid 4 star rating!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear DLandDL,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment on your stay. Thank you for sharing the details on the public transportation. The #3 bus can save readers a lot of money on cabs to the Loop or North side. I hope you will keep us in mind the next time you are in Chicago. Our staff would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had a great experience while staying for two nights during Labor Day weekend stay as I previewed the Chicago Marathon course. The good: Great rate b/c of slow holiday weekend (I normally wouldn't be able to afford the standard rate); staff-courteous,attentive,helpful. Allowed me to check in at 12:30pm; bag storage available. Once the bellhop was away from the desk, perhaps helping a guest, and I had to wait a few minutes for him to return so I could leave my bag with him for the afternoon after checkout; room-spotless, spacious, possibly renovated recently, comfortable w climate control, iron, safe (I was told no charge), small fridge but no freezer (no charge), large shower w instantly hot water +great pressure, plenty of wooden hangers, towels+power outlets w good HDTV w DirecTV, clean carpet. Housekeeping did great job. Decent view of Lake MI. Lots of fast elevators. WiFi avail, but I didn't use. Almost no noise from other rooms. 12pm checkout. The concierge was very helpful, as the woman there provided a card map showing me how to get to the Lakefront Trail for a run. Things to note: Water tank equipment made low-level humming noise, which woke me briefly at 4:30am. No short walk to CTA station or any downtown or Loop attractions. Only convenient to the McCormick Place Convention Center. The hotel is a mile south of Grant Park and Roosevelt Road which is south of the Loop. Under optimal circumstances, it can take 40 minutes to get to the Navy Pier by bus or 45-60 minutes by bus to the North Side. You can take #3 bus north to Roosevelt Station, which runs every 10-20 min or #21 bus to Chinatown. (It's possible to get to Midway Airport from here in just less than an airport by CTA bus and train. A three-day CTA pass is $20, which you can buy at the Midway Airport Orange Line station). West of Cermak+Michigan, before Chinatown, the neighborhood is questionable. While walking to hotel from Chinatown (20 min walk) I was unnerved when a man going south on State St, abruptly changed directions and apparently followed me east on Cermak to the hotel. Nearby offerings are limited. Closest for groceries-Walgreen's in Chinatown or Trader Joe's at Roosevelt+Wabash mile to north. There is Papa John's on Michigan+Cermak and some Asian take-out. The hotel snack stand was too pricey. There is no free breakfast. I highly recommend you stay here if you can get a discounted rate unless you need to be much closer to downtown.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear WhiteFone,

Thank you very much for your business and recommendation! Good luck running the Chicago Marathon next month! We will be running a free shuttle to and from Grant Park for the Marathon. Thanks for sharing your detailed public transportation notes. I hope other TripAdvisor readers will find them helpful!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hyatt McCormick over labor day weekend and was more than pleased with everything that they had to offer! My Fiance and I stayed there after we got engaged and enjoyed the the view of the City and the lake, it was the perfect ending to even more perfect night. The staff there was also amazing, from the bag service to the room service, everyone was very pleasant and was very accomodating. Couldn't have asked for a better experience.

We ended up staying a suite, which was very clean. I requested a bottle of champange be in the room in order to celebrate and they had it there for us on ice when we arrived along with a note congratulating us on our engagement that night.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms in floors 20 or above have great views of the chicago skyline
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kyle Hemenover,

Congratulations to you and your fiance on your engagement! We are so happy to have been part of your special day! Thank you for sharing it with us, and we hope you and your future wife will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in August 2012. When I arrived and checked in, I received a very good service from the employees at the front desk. Very nice and friendly. The hotel is quite big and luxurous. Very comfortable beds and amazing view over the city. You can either have a view on downtown or the other side, which are both great. All in all its a great hotel, instead of the location, which is not that good, but you can walk along the water to the city which is really nice. It takes about an hour.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chaim S

Dear Chaim S,

Thank you for visiting us all the way from Germany! We appreciate your business and are happy to have provided you with a 5-star experience. Please keep up in mind for future visits to Chicago!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hotel primarily serves visitors to the McCormick Place Convention Center. My daughter lives in the neighborhood, so it worked for me. Renovated wing is delightful - large, well-equipped room. Not much of a view. Staff was friendly and efficient. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Neil F,

Thank you for staying with us! With your daughter living nearby, we hope that will be able to welcome you again soon. We have a local rate for those living in the neighborhood through the PDNA.