“Great value on Priceline, but out of downtown core”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #70 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great value on Priceline, but out of downtown core”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my friend in late July 2013.

This is a great hotel with a very friendly hotel staff. They helped us out a lot with our transit questions and helped us find our way around the city. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel that can take you directly into downtown. As two females, we never felt unsafe on this bus even late at night going back to the hotel. It's about a 20 minute bus ride into the core.

Our room was very clean and spacious. Our bathroom sink was separate from the toilet and shower which was great for getting ready in the morning. We had no problems with the water or the shower. The bed was really comfortable and I slept well each night. We controlled our room temperature so it was always nice and cool during the summer heat!

The rooms were overall very quiet, however I could hear the plumbing from other rooms. However I'd still rate this as a quiet room.

We had a view of stadium where the White Sox play so sports fans who are in town for either the Bears or Sox would find this hotel to be very convenient.

In the lobby they have two helpful display screens - one for upcoming bus arrival times for the transit, and another detailing flight information for both airports. There is an airport shuttle but we just took the taxi. It was about 25 dollars to Midway.

I'd highly recommend this hotel if you can snap it up on Priceline or Hotwire. It's perfect if you don't mind taking transit or a taxi into the downtown core of Chicago. However if you want something closer to the core where you can walk to most attractions this isn't the hotel for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear TB3410,

Thank you for taking a friends trip to Chicago and staying with us! I'm happy you got a good deal and thank you for sharing your tips on the public transit options available. These are sure to help other TripAdvisor readers. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Social Media Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I check in and used the toilet and saw the remnants of someone else's explosive bowel movement. I glance at the shower and noticed the shampoo almost empty. This the complemtary shampoo they didnt even through away the old used ones when they barely cleaned the room from the last guest. I went to the service desk and ask for some more towels and if they could clean the toilet they assured me they would. I returned 4 hours later. Toilet still filthy but I got more towels. I called again and they said they would get it the next day. I ran some water through the coffee maker for some tea and got brown water, there was no coffee or tea in the machine GROSS. Not a very clean hotel for the brand and quality I expected.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Jet2020,

We greatly appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay! Please know this is not what you should expect from the Hyatt name or the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, and I appreciate that you expected more from us because you are absolutely correct. All of the Housekeeping Management team will be sent your review to read and address. Thank you very much for sharing with us so that we can use your experience as a training tool with the staff. I hope that you might pay us another visit in the future to see that your comments have been taken to heart.

Saint Charles, Illinois, Usa
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed for a conference at McCormick Place, The check in was easy even though I was very early. The front desk was very accommodating with getting me into my room early, The room was very nice, just what you would expect from a higher end Chicago hotel. I had dinner and drinks at the bar. Pricey but not out of line for Chicago hotels or nicer bars. The pizza was very good and beer selection was varied but not huge. Service was very good as well, even though they were busy. I had the breakfast buffet at Shor. The food was good and hot. Coffee and service excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear John N,

Thank you for visiting us for your conference. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your short visit with us, but we hope your 5-star experience will bring you back for another visit in the future.

Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is within walking distance of McCormick Place, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium. Our room on the 19th floor had a great view and was well-appointed. We were not bothered by any extraneous noise. There is a small pool and larger fitness center on the 4th floor which was nice. The parking was self-park which was more convenient than valet parking for us. Yes, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view. There are designated elevators for top and bottom floors...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Donna J,

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us for your family's vacation to Chicago! Many guests don't realize how close we are to Museum Campus, Soldier Field, and Northerly Island, so thank you for sharing. We look forward to seeing you again for your next visit to Chicago.

Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt McCormick Place for Bears game. Nice new hotel. Everything was clean and the staff was very helpful. Quick walk to Solder Field but if you are not going there or have business at McCormick Place than you are a hike from everything else. Had slow service at hotel bar but drinks and bar food were good. Not much for dining options other than small snack area, sandwich shop and restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LizJaquez, Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Speers1999,

Thank you for staying with us during the Bears game. At just 2 blocks and a pedway, it's really a convenient walk to the stadium! I'm sorry to hear about your service in Mx Lounge. I will share your review with our Director of Outlets to follow up regarding the staffing and make sure we are ready to go for future Bears games. I hope you have tickets for more games this year, we would love to see you again!

Madison, WI
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at this Hyatt last weekend. It's a beautiful and clean hotel. a bit far from Magnificant mile but the best place if you are going to the Shedd aquarium or the museums. Staff was friendly and eager to help.

Room Tip: Always check their online specials. We only payed $24 for parking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BTT65,

Thanks for visiting us from Madison! It sounds like you had a fun end of summer getaway to Chicago! I hope you will come visit us again in the near future. We would love to have you stay with us again.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The location is isolated for a Chicago tourist and lobby decor feel isolating. I give it 2 stars for room issues. The welcome guide was missing sections. The TV remote did not work. The bathroom door handle was broken such that I got stuck in there. I brought the later two issues to Customer Service on the first day. They said they would take care of it but did not. On the second day, I spoke directly with Angela, the hotel manager. She offered an apology, some Hyatt points, and would make sure they got cared for. The door was fixed but not the remote.

There is an in-room flyer that offers complementary items from their 'Convenience Collection'. I twice requested Woolite but it was not delivered.

The only upside to this place is being located by the conference center, and that is only if you have a conference. But don't drive here. At $34 - $45 per day, parking could cost more than your flight.

Green Features: They had the usual "Hang your towels on the rack to reuse them" card, however they replaces our towels when we left them on the rack.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ontheoard25601,

I'm very sorry to read about your experience! I will share your comments with our entire Management Team for review and follow up. Customer service is extremely important to us and please know that this is not what you should expect from Hyatt or the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place!