“Newly renovated rooms are nice, noisy right now though”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #69 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had a room (3033) which the receptionist told me I was the first person to stay in it since it had been renovated. It was a pretty nice suite. Great view of Lake Michigan and the Downtown. I would highly recommend asking for this room. They were renovating the room directly below me so it was quite noisy while I was there. I understand they have to do the work sometime and they did wait until about 8AM, but it was difficult working with the riveting going on. I'm sure in a few months that will be done and this would be an excellent hotel. It was a bit pricey though.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake or downtown, its worth it if you're up high.
1  Thank Muffinhead2580
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Muffinhead2580,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your understanding during the renovation. We do try to keep the noise to a minimum and keep guests as far away from the rooms being worked on as possible. We are very excited to share our newly renovated guest rooms with valued patrons such as yourself and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here for the Boat Show in January 2013. Even though the hotel is under construction, it was easy to navigate. The staff was excellent--from the bellman to Jeremy at the front desk to our waitress at Shor. Customer service was their obvious goal. Our room was nice, but we could hear the partiers next door more than I would like. Luckily they calmed down by midnight. It was a nice respite after the hectic trade show.

Dear maryjWi,

Thank you for staying with us during the Boat Show! I will be sure to let Jeremy's manager's know of the great service you received from him. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back for next year's Boat Show if not before.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I really enjoyed my recent 5 day stay during the Boat Show. The staff in every department was terrific, making my stay one of the most enjoyable hotel stays in years. Liz Vasquez in sales, handled my reservation for me and checked me in online and notified me that my room was ready long before I arrived at the hotel. She also enrolled me in their Gold Passport program and provided a room upgrade to a much larger room, making my return to the hotel room each night something to which I looked forward to doing. My room was clean and comfortable, and allowed me to move around and relax without my feeling like I was even at a hotel. The restaurant was always busy, but was able to provide my food and drink orders quickly and the food was wonderful, as always. I cannot wait to see what it will be like next year after the extensive renovations that are occurring right now.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Jim R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review! It was my pleasure to assist you with your reservation and thank you for the shout out! We look forward to welcoming you back for next year's Boat Show and/or any leisure visits to Chicago that may come prior.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Service at the Hyatt was great - from the bellman to the main staff. Check in was a breeze with the web check in feature. I checked in about an hour before I arrived (early check in) and I was emailed when the room was ready. I walked to the front desk(under construction but very organized) and showed my ID and I had my keys and parking pass. 35 dollars for come/go parking was ok. I self parked and the staff in the garage were very polite. Room was clean and comfortable. King room with a single added for my daughter. Internet access was easy. Pool was ok - a bit cold and small but it is only a lap pool. Exercise equipment worked fine and locker rooms were nice. Overall - I am very happy with my experience. The construction on the north tower didn't affect my stay. I will definately go back again. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear D G,

Thank you very much for staying with us. I'm so happy to hear that our efforts to reduce the impact of the renovation on our guests were successful! We look forward to welcoming you back and showing off our newly renovated guest rooms. Thank you again for your business!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Really enjoyed the overall comfort and easiness in staying here. Not right in the city but close ($5 in a cab probably), there are also quite a few restaurants in walking distance- the concierge was very nice and can help you with this. They have a nice bar and restaurant as well- it is all attached to a big conference centre so there are lots of facilities. McDonalds up the road as well. Would for sure stay here again.

Room Tip: High up for a nice view for the city
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear tomwatson84,

Thank you for your business! I'm glad you enjoyed our hotel, restaurants, and staff. You can also try the #3 bus to save on cab fare to some of the other downtown destinations such as the Art Institute, Millennium Park, and the Mag Mile. It stops right in front of the hotel and runs up and down Michigan Ave to these locations every 10-15 minutes. It's $2.25/ride, or the front desk can sell you a pass for $5.75 that is good for unlimited rides on all city buses and trains for 24 hours.
We look forward to seeing you again and showing you our newly renovated guest rooms!

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My hotel room at the Hyatt was disappointing -- outdated, worn decor; weird room layout; non-stop very loud noise from construction/renovation (hammering, machinery buzzing loudly, etc.) directly above my room that started precisely at 8 a.m. (too early!) and continued until 4-5 p.m. all three days. I hear renovations are scheduled for all the rooms in the next year or so, and it's way overdue. The rooms are much less appealing than the convention facilities, which are very modern and clean. There is another tower to the hotel being built right now with a few hundred more guest rooms, so that will most likely be a much better option for accommodations.

Several employees made my experience positive overall, in spite of the construction noise and the lackluster room. Liz and Roberto in the bar/restaurant area are the kind of employees any organization would be proud to claim. They were both exceptionally friendly and customer service oriented, remembering my name each time and greeting me with a smile each time I saw them. They made me feel like a special, valued guest. Thanks, Liz and Roberto!

There were some other good points. The water pressure was very strong in the shower in spite of me being on the 27th floor. I ordered the horseradish crusted salmon from room service, and it was one of the best room service meals I've ever had, perfectly cooked and seasoned. The lunch buffet in Shor (hotel restaurant) was well prepared and a good value.

If you're attending a conference at McCormick, the convenience of staying at the Hyatt is undeniable and the staff will take good care of you. That area is not the most fun area of Chicago, but there are a lot of good options for transportation so one can hit the other areas of the city pretty easily.

Room Tip: Beware the noise from renovations!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear GamecockGirl,

The renovation is not happening in the next year or so, it is happening right now. I'm very sorry that you were disturbed by the noise of the renovation. I will share your comments with our Project Manager for the renovation. We will have all 800 guest rooms fully renovated and complete within the next couple of months and the new tower is set to open this summer! We are very excited and can't wait to show these new rooms to you.
I will also be sure to share your feedback about Liz and Roberto outlets to their managers so that they can be recognized for their superior service.
Thank you again for staying with us, and we can't wait to welcome you back to our newly renovated guest rooms!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

The staff of Hyatt Regency McCormick Place is fabulous! Having my hands more than full with a baby and all the accessories that entails, the doormen helped me get unloaded and inside, where the front desk associate was so friendly and quickly got me checked in. The bellman delivered everything to the room, a large corner room, and the in room dining staff was fast and friendly. The only downside was the view, which was of the construction next door on the new building. Very nice stay!!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear southgirl4life,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm so happy to see that our bellman helped you out and I will be sure to let the Front Office Manager know of their friendly service. We hope to see you back in the near future when we will have all newly renovated guest rooms and can offer you a room on a high floor with a view of the lake or city!