“A Tall Old Holiday Inn In Disguise”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #69 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alabama
“A Tall Old Holiday Inn In Disguise”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is an old soldier. Our room was no better than an old Holiday Inn with a metal tub, mildewed tile, and a cheap TV with meagre channels offered. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The Concierge somehow seemed to be "away" and some young guy filled in badly. The most disappointing aspects were the various eateries, each of which had tired, cheap decor and food to match. For breakfast we walked down the block to McDonalds rather than pay an absurd fee for a weak breakfast at the hotel. Maybe when the new wing is finished and they can remodel this wing it will be a better stay. For now, I'd look closer to downtown.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere or wait for the new wing to open.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear butchAlabama,

I'm very sorry to read about your experience! I will share you description of the room condition with our Housekeeping Manager. Although we are going through a renovation and expansion and will have newly remodeled rooms soon, the room condition you described is clearly not up to the standard you should expect from Hyatt, and again, I am very sorry for that. I hope that you might stay with us again and allow us the chance to show you that we are better than that!

Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Reviewed September 16, 2012

4 of us were in town to see Rush and I decided I didn't want to drive the 2 hours home after the concert, so I checked Priceline and got this hotel at an excellent price. It must be that if they are not expecting to be full because of a conference, they offer rooms on Priceline. I imagine if I had paid full price for this, I would expect more, but for what I paid, it was great. Anna asked me at check-in if we wanted high up and I did, so we got the 27th floor looking South. I had no problems with the parking garage either.
Even though I wouldn't suggest this for kids, it did have Cartoon Network although the list in the book didn't indicate it. They might want to update their channel list as it had a lot of wrong channel numbers.
We didn't eat there but there is a McDonalds just a block South.
I didn't feel the heavy curtain for the closet was a problem. It seems fine to me. The internet was not very fast but we weren't there for that.
Yes, the walls seems pretty thin as far as sound. It didn't bother me but 2 of my kids did mention something in the next room early in the morning. If they had told me I would have called to the desk, but I never heard it.
Since someone there seems to read these, I forgot to say at check-out that the pop machine on 27 does not take $1 bills and the Sierra Mist button gave water. We just used a different floor's machine and the front desk sent up Sierra Mist in place of the water.
Oh, and since you are remodeling, you might want to update the thermostat to electronic. It worked fine but had no temperatures listed on the settings so I had no idea where to leave it when we left for the concert.

Room Tip: High up if you like a view like me.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Goofy173
Dear Goofy173,

Thank you for sharing! We will check on the channel listings and the pop machine on the 27th floor. Tips like these really help us to improve as sometimes we are not aware of these little things until they are brought to our attention. We are moving to digital thermostats with the renovation. Hopefully when you visit for another concert our renovations will be complete and you can enjoy the new rooms!

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here last week for a work conference 6/4 and6/5. Unfortunately the day after I returned I began itching peculiar bites on my feet and body which were determined to be "Bed Bugs". I have stayed at many hotels in my 49 years from four seasons to super 8 and have never had the same unfortunate experience. Overall the place is adequate but plain and average aside from the bugs. The icing on the cake is when I relayed the information to the housekeeping manager I was told the room would be cleaned and inspected. When he got back to me he stated the room was not found to have any bedbugs-yea right. Never again will I stay at a Hyatt

Room Tip: Check the the mattres for blood stains prior to sleeping in it(sign of bedbugs). Better yet avoid th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Michael S,

We take allegations of bed bugs extremely seriously. Hyatt has a remediation program in place with Ecolab, a national pest control specialist, who comes in to investigate. The room in question as well as the rooms immediately next to, above, and below, remain vacant until the investigation has been concluded. We want to ensure each Hyatt guest enjoys a safe, clean, and comfortable environment. I apologize for what you may have encountered during your recent travels, but we do have to refer to the conclusion of the specialists in these situations.

Cypress, Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here with my husband last weekend. We stayed in a suite in 2233 which was very nice, though kind of odd as the was no dedicated dresser. We had to put our folded clothes in the media cabinet. The wall behind the bed was either paper thin or the woman staying in that room was the loudest human alive (possibly both are accurate). Upon arrival we requested that a bottle of wine and a fruit & cheese tray be sent to our room. It took almost 50 minutes for these items to arrive. Finally, the couches in the lounge look so inviting- especially the brown ones- until you get close and see all the stains. Yuck. I think it's time to replace those with something newer. Now then, all that being said, the staff was super friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is situated right by the Metra so it's easy to get around. There's also interesting stuff in the nearby neighborhood, so if you've got some time then you should walk out the front of the hotel and head north just to take in some of the neighborhood feel. So, despite all my complaints, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Suite 2233 is at the corner of the building. You can see over the lake just past the convention cent...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda77433,

Thank you for your business and I'm happy to see you would come visit us again! I will share you comments regarding your amenity delivery with our In Room Dining Manager for follow up. I will also share it with the Housekeeping Managers regarding the couches. We are currently going through a full guest room expansion and renovation and can't wait to unveil our newly renovated guest rooms. They are going to be spectacular! Thank you for sharing about our friendly staff and the South Loop neighborhood. The Prairie District just north of us is quite beautiful! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago.

Zion, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently stayed for four nights during the IRS Tax Forum. I have been a guest at this hotel many times since it first opened. My experience with hotel staff, from the front desk, housekeeping, restaurant and coffee shop is always a positive experience. At times even uplifting. Many hotels, including other Hyatt Hotels, provide a cool but efficient service. The Hyatt McCormick staff are much more gregarious and friendly, while still providing a high level of service. This staff has the hospitality business nailed down and I contend they should train other hotel staffs in guest relations and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear dsuthard46,

Thank you for evaluating us and sharing your 5-star experience! I'm so pleased that you feel so positively about our staff and the customer service you received. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Danbury, Connecticut, United States
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,364 helpful votes
Reviewed September 3, 2012

With extremely professional staff and breathtaking views of Lake Michigan from one of the higher floor wall to wall glass window Premier Suites (given to Diamond Guests), this is my most preferred hotel in Chicago. The only downside is that this is a Convention Center hotel, not near anything and requires that you rent a car if you want to move around Chicago!

Highly Recommend!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Lake Michigan and you will be pleased. But call and ask the hotel a f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
14 Thank MALAYAPPAN
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Kalidasan,

Thank you very much for being a Diamond Member with Hyatt Gold Passport! We appreciate your loyalty to Hyatt! You have many options in Chicago when it comes to Hyatt Hotels, so for us to be your preferred Chicago hotel says a lot for us - thank you! We look forward to seeing you again!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel whilst attending a wedding in Chicago. The staff on the front desk were extremely helpful and were happy to discuss ideas for sightseeing trips and transport to different parts of the city. The bus that stops right outside the hotel was very regular and it meant that we could easily get in and out of the city. Our room was excellent and we couldn't fault it, we had great views of Chicago, it was clean and the bed was massive and very comfortable.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLT475
Dear TLT475,

Thank you for visiting us all the way from the UK! I'm happy to read that you had a great time and that our staff friendly and helpful! We hope that you visit us again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago. Congrats to the newlyweds!