“Loved Everything Except the Location”

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ranked #71 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I'll say right up front that we only stayed here because we were unable to find another hotel with availability in town at any price. Because availability was so limited, the rules of supply and demand made this the most expensive hotel stay I've ever had in my life. Actually, it came close to being twice as expensive as any other stay. For that reason, I won't give a rating for value, because I'm sure that the normal rate is much more affordable. It's a very nice property, but a challenge if you're not used to public transportation and are interested in sightseeing. Pick up this hotel and drop it a mile and a half to the north and that would be terrific.

As others have said, the views of Chicago in the distance are excellent. We had the opportunity to dine in Shor Restaurant each morning and I'd have to say that it was a highlight for us. Their food is beautifully presented, and the ambiance is very Zen and calming. Breakfast for 2 ran between $40 and $50 per morning with juice and coffee. The caramelized onion and portabella mushroom omelet breakfast entree was just wonderful. My son had the breakfast buffet one morning and it seemed very extensive, but he preferred the steak and eggs entree he had the second day.

The only other comment I have is in regards to the room layout. I 'm just not a fan of rooms that have the sinks outside of the actual bathroom. It just doesn't seem as sanitary to me and can cause difficulty with feminine hygiene issues. (Someone has to say it!)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ElCheapster

Dear ElCheapster,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your "zen" in Shor, I will share your experience with our restaurant managers. We are currently undergoing a full guest room expansion and renovation and will be addressing your concerned with the bathroom layout. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We have stayed here twice. It's a nice hotel with great views of Chicago. Bring rolling luggage because you will have to haul it quite a ways to get to your room!

Pros: connected to McCormick Place; restaurants in the hotel (not cheap, though); great view of Chicago; reasonable rate for sponsored events; McDonald's next door for quick breakfast

Cons: have to pay for parking, which can get expensive if you stay here for several days; somewhat isolated; long walk from some parking spots to your room; no free breakfast; on busy weekends, you have to wait a while to check in at the front desk

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 4Bubbles

Dear 4Bubbles,

Thank you for your continued patronage. We appreciate your business! I apologize that you did not feel that our parking was a good value. If you shop around, you will find that our full service downtown competitors actually charge much more for parking, most are $50+ for valet only. We offer self-parking for $32 with unlimited in/out privileges. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hotel is in a great location for conventions and the staff is strong and experienced. Kudos to Louise at the front desk and Gabe at the bar for their excellent service. However, the rooms are dated and Ive had problems with rashes on my skin after staying here. The 50.00 parking cost is simply unacceptable given the location and the type of hotel here. I've often paid over 30 percent of my total lodging cost for parking. Also the construction of the new wing started before 7am which the hotel states starts at 9am.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Faulkner8251,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sharing your review with our front desk and Mx Lounge managers so that Louise and Gabe can be recognized for their great service. We are currently in the middle of a full guest room expansion and renovation which should address your issues with the guest room. We can't wait to show it off to you! I am concerned about the rash you mentioned and invite you to please contact us with more details regarding your stay so that we can properly inspect the room. We take these kind of reports extremely seriously. Our parking fees are $32 for self-parking and $44 for valet. Both include unlimited in/out privileges. We strive to offer competitive pricing by being the only full service downtown hotel to offer self parking. If you shop around, most downtown locations offer only valet parking over at $50+/night. I apologize that you did not see the value in this. Thank you for letting us know regarding the construction noise. The company we have hired for the construction is not to make noise prior to 9am. We will address this with them right away, and again thank you for letting us know so that we can fix this issue for other guests.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I've stayed at the Hyatt McCormick Place a few times and each time has been enjoyable. The rooms are nice but nothing special. If you have a car it is pretty convenient that parking is not $50/day (though I believe it's $30 which isn't cheap either) like it is in the Loop itself. Aside from McCormick Place the hotel isn't really good if you want to just walk to get food or see other attractions.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
HyattMcCormick, Reservations Manager at Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear UCLady04,

Thank you for your repeated patronage! We appreciate your business! We look forward to the completion of our full guest room expansion and renovation and hope you will enjoy the new product. We are about 1-2 miles from the Loop and other downtown attractions as you mentioned. Next time, try the #3 bus for easy access to downtown. It stops right in front of the hotel and takes you up and down Michigan ave for $2.25/ride. The front desk also sells passes for unlimited rides for 24 hours for $5.75. Thank you again!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

The McCormick Hyatt is convenient for a convention but has some staffing issues.
the doormen do not try to hard to flag down taxis for the guests. In fact, they seem to spend too much time talking amongst themselves while the line for taxis grows ever longer.
The staff that make the coffee in the little store between the lobby and the Shor restaurant do a very poor job, are slow and not customer friendly.
The rooms are fine, and the cleanliness is good

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Dadiam T,

I'm very sorry to read about the staff issues that you described. I will share your comments with our Front Office Manager as well the Daily Grind manager for follow up. We pride ourselves on having great customer service and your experience is not the kind we want our guests to have! Should your travels bring you back to Chicaog, I hope you might offer us another chance to improve on this experience. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I organized a corporate event at this hotel, and i must say that we were very happy with everything, from food to meeting rooms. The staff was also extremely nice and serviceable. All our needs were well attended to and our event was a big success!
I had visited 3 other venues in Chicago abefore selecting that one, and i am very happy with our decision.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guizzi123,

Thank you very much for hosting your event with us! We look forward to working with you on other successful events in the future!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Overall, we had a very bad experience with this hotel. Usually, I call ahead to ensure that we get a non-smoking king bed with a decent view. My request has been met at most places, including other Hyatt franchises. When I called this hotel, upon placing my request very politely, I was scolded by the receptionist Louise. She was downright condescending and unnecessarily so, in informing me that they were booked out. We understand if all the rooms were booked (hard to believe), but there was no reason for her to be so rude. We ended up with a double bed room, which would have been tolerable, had the beds been comfortable. The mattresses were lumpy and creaky. I woke up with a back ache. Upon complaining about this, the receptionist apologized and said she would mention this to the housekeeping manager, but did not offer us any complimentary services. Housekeeping is shoddy at best. We stayed there for two nights, and they did not clean up/freshen up our room. While walking by other rooms, we saw piles of dirty dishes outside the other doors which had not been picked up for the entire two days we were there. The pool is a an sorry excuse for one, it is nothing but a kiddie pool, and fittingly always full of screaming kids.
We wanted to talk to the manager Angela, and speak about our bad experience, but she seemed too harried and was running around looking frustrated. We decided not to bother her,also noticing that here sleeve had a big hole in it. We suggest that hotel management hire a more efficient manager who can keep up with the demands of running such a busy hotel, and can cater to guest needs adequately. Also, please tutor your receptionists in customer service and politeness. Lastly, your hotel is a good driving distance from downtown and so it is not justified in charging $32 for parking when they charge the same downtown. This hotel is 3 star at best. Will never stay here again if we can help it !!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Shweta,

We cannot apologize enough for the experience that you have described. Please know that this is not the Hyatt standard nor what you should expect from us here at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. I have shared you comments regarding the staff, bed, and housekeeping services with our General Manager and senior management team to have them addressed immediately. Please know that we do our best to offer our guests any available upgrades and fulfill their room type requests. I apologize that we were full committed on city view rooms during your dates of stay. I'm also sorry that you did not feel that our parking was a good value. When setting our prices, we did a thorough comparison of other full services hotels in the downtown area and found that we are the only full service hotel to offer self-parking with unlimited in/out privileges while most others offered only valet at upwards of $50 or more.
We will address the staffing issues immediately, and I do hope that you might allow us another chance to show you the level of service of which we are capable!