“Great hotel in a fantastic location!”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #90 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Booked this on priceline for an insanely low price of $65 a night. The BF and I were amazed when we got there--the person checking us in was friendly and helpful to suggest some local nightspots and the room was gorgeous! A nice upscale, downtown feel and super comfy beds. We had a fabulous view from the 25th floor that inlcluded a sliver of Lake Michigan, a sliver of the Taste of Chicago crowds, and some friendly office workers in the builiding next door who waved to us a few times. Seriously. We had a pretty anonymous experience the rest of our stay--which was fine with us. The hotel consists mainly of 2 towers and is like a huge, sprawling city inside. But we weren't there to stay in the hotel room the entire time...we like to get out and explore as much as possible. The location was fantastic. Easy walking distance to Michigan Avenue and the rest of downtown. We walked for blocks well into the night and never felt like we needed a cab. I also highly recommend the Urban Cruise on the river (the entrance is right across from the hotel)--we saw some amazing architecture from the boat and got to cruise Lake Michigan a bit too. Don't park your car here if you don't need to--it's very expensive. Park downtown or ditch the rental car--you won't need it anyway, you can walk to tons of stuff or grab a cab. Love Chicago and totally recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,135)

Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Hyatt Regency is a large, convention style hotel, that is located just off of Michigan Avenue in the midst of downtown Chicago.

The hotel is huge and there a multiple towers within the hotel complex. The first floor of the hotel has an open, casual restaurant and some sitting areas while the lobby is on the second floor. A bar called Big is on the second floor and had a neat vibe.

The room was decent. The bathroom was not grand or large but efficient. The bed was comfortable and was in the middle of the room with a large desk area behind it. The TV is HD. Large windows showed a nice view of the lake from my room. There was slight problem with the air conditioning and it did not keep the room cool enough most of the stay.

The staff was great all around.

Did not eat at the restaurants as there are amazing choices in downtown Chicago (a great meal at Shaw’s Crab House).

The workout facility was efficient and the machines seemed to be fairly new and in working order.

Overall, the hotel is getting old and is need of some upgrading. There are some better choices in the area (like the Fairmont around the corner) but if you can get a good price (we paid an average of about $150 per night) or have a convention in the hotel, it is fine.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The room was booked through a discount Web site at a very good price.
Upon check-in, there was a guest complaining to the manager about her experience. I thought, is this going to be the beginning of MY experience? It was not.
The service was fine; I requested additional coffee packs and they came quickly and plentiful. The room was clean and updated. Funny, they updated the bath but kept the old tub and tile surround. It was still clean.
Great location by the river and very close to Millennium Park. They do have a 24hr. fitness center, but I did not use it.
I would say the best was the room; I had a corner room that I enjoyed. The least? The large ‘dated’ lobby with many guests. It was loud and airport like.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2009

The Hyatt Regency is in an excellent location with great views of the river and the city, but the enormous size of the hotel makes the lobby feel more like an airport terminal and the rooms are not at all soundproof making a good night sleep quite difficult.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I booked 2 rooms in this hotel because I got a very good rate to want seemed to be a very nice hotel. The full amount was charged to my credit card about 10 days prior to arrival, althought there was no indication on the reservation that it was a prepaid rate. I thought of calling but since it was a vacation trip and I would have to pay for it anyway, I did not call.

Got to the check-in counter at about 9PM on a Tuesday and after a couple of minutes of "I have to check something", I was told that they were overbooked and they would send me to another hotel for the night and give me my rooms the following day. Of course I did not accept that arrangement, specially since they had already charged me for the rooms. After about half an hour of discussion, asking for the manager (which very conveniently the clerck told me she was the manager) they would simply not give me any rooms, so I relented and asked where would the put me for the night, only to be told that they would send me to the Hyatt in O'HARE????? What???? There must be some crazy manager running that place. I vehemently oppsosed and told them I would not go anywhere until they gave me my rooms that were already paid for. After some 15 more minutes of talking "in the back" they decided to give me one room with 2 full beds for 4 adults. I'm 6'2" and my son is 6'. I don't know how they expected us to fit in there. I finally arranged for the kids (both 18) to sleep over at a relative's living room. They also offered free internet during my stay (never happened) and a $75 credit towards food or drinks in the hotel (never happened either).

At 7AM the next morning I was at the counter to get my 2 rooms and I was told that if someone checked out they would let me know...what???? I took a deep breath and went up to the regency club (I had reserved regency club rooms) for some coffee only that the key card would not allow me in. Went down again and another lady told me this time that they would give me 2 rooms on the east tower (not regency club), so I felt a little better. She changed my key and I got access to the regency club. After we got back to the hotel the gave us our rooms one of which was a suite the other a regular dbl bedroom. I will not exagerate when I tell you that I went through at least 20 different key cards. The would re-program them but they would not work, so they ended up sending security up with me to see if I didn't know how to open the door, I guess. And when they also couldn't, they would let me in te room. After they finally got it working for one room only (for the other it never worked, the kids had to enter through my room) then it would not work for the regency club, and so the cycle began all over again.

The rooms are nothing special, not even the suite. It was big but that's about it. If you plan to be on vacation and sleep late, forget it. The hallways are so loud that you won't go to sleep early or sleep in late. You will hear absolutely everything happening in the hallways including the housekeeping calls at 8AM in every single room that does not have a privacy sign on it. The slit under the doors is so huge that you have to block the from your sight if light bothers you. I can go on about the rooms because a lot of things weren't up to par but I think you get the picture.

On checkout, I was charged $10 more per night on the dbl bedroom. When I requested they fix it (I had my original reservation with me) they came up "in the back room" with the excuse that it was for the suite upgrade, although I knew and they knew that it was not the case. Already tired of fighting with them, I let it go. But I for one am not ever setting foot there again and will think twice about setting foot on a Hyatt ever again unless it is absolutely necessary. I also plan to find how to get through Hyatt management to let them know about this.

4  Thank vzinmia
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Our family (2 adults 2 teens) stayed at the Hyatt for three nights. This was a great hotel for our purposes as it was convenient to Millennium Park, Navy Pier, the Miracle Mile, we even walked to the Aquarium, the Planetarium and the Field Museum. We ate at a great pizza restaurant (Chicago deep dish) called Giordanos which was only a four minute walk from the hotel.
We were able to get a good deal (found it on TravelZoo) at $169 a night which included a room on the club level (3 floors which you can only reach with a special elevator key). This provided us with a complimentary breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day, honor bar and very nice munching food (pate, special crackers, fruit, antipasto, etc) from 5:30 to 8:30 and then desserts from 8:30 to 9:30. All of the food was top notch, including capers and smoked salmon for breakfast and always fresh fruit, granola, etc. There was also free internet in the business room. Another excellent perk with our room was our tremendous view of the Chicago River, Lake Michigan, Navy Pier. We had a perfect view of the Navy Pier fireworks on Wednesday night. Our rate also included parking (normally $48 a night).
Our room had two queen beds and was attractively furnished with plenty of room. Our bathroom was large, but seemed a bit outdated. The hallway was narrow and in need of sprucing, however, we spent very little time in the hallway. The staff was very kind and helpful. We had a small issue with the honor bar (we had put some leftover pizza in the frig) and apparently you are charged by weight, so we had a $58 bill for shifting things around. The person at the check out was more than gracious and worked out the problem for us in a kind and respectful manner.
All in all this hotel was a great place for our family to stay in Chicago.

3  Thank Journeywith5
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I got a great deal on Priceline for a room at the Hyatt. This hotel is nicely located in Downtown Chicago. It is a 15 minute walk to the Navy pier and only a 10 minute walk to many great resturants. The hotel offers all the luxeries but we carried our own bags and parked in the ramp 2 blocks away to save money. This hotel charges $48 for overnight in and out valet parking but I paid less than $30 to park just 2 short blocks away. They do have a nice area to park temporarily and unload in front of the hotel. Our room was quiet and comfortable. It shows minor wear and is smaller but for the location and price we paid, we were thrilled. We did not try any of their services but the exercise room.

1  Thank djalk