“best hotel stay ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“best hotel stay ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were blown away by the amazing view from our 30th floor on the east side from the moment we walked into the room. INDESCRIBABLE! We had a view of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan and were able to see Navy Pier as well. We even watched fireworks from our room. When my husband booked the room in March for July he asked since we would be celebrating our anniversary could they do something special. He totally forgot about that request until we return to our room the 1st night and there was a complimentary split of champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries waiting. All within walking distance were Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, Millennium Park, and Museum Campus. Near by was Riverwalk with many boat tours to take. Buy tickets in advance for any evening tour as they sell out early.

Room Tip: rooms on the east side have the best view
Green Features: They went out of their way to make our stay memorable
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

My husband and I met my brother in law and his wife for a long weekend getaway. According to the description and the photos posted of the hotel it looked lovely.
It is wayyy over priced for what it is. Please stay somewhere else.

Pros:
The cleaning staff is fab! By far the nicest people there
The view from our room was lovely, but not worth the money
The bars in the hotel are nice

Cons:
The walls in the rooms are THIN, so thin I could hear the lady next door sneeze. And so when the other room next to us decided they needed to be up and partying at 6:30am..we heard every word they said. It is really hard to sleep when you can hear everything happening around you. My brother in Laws room would not stay cool. They had to keep the a/c running all the time.
The drunks down the hall must have either puked in their room or the hallway, and it reeked the entire weekend we were there! Every time we walked to or from our room we had to hold our breath because it was so disgusting.
The game room closes early or randomly because when we tried to use it one night at 8pm we were told it was already closed...um ok.
It is sort of pricey for what it is. I stayed at a much nicer hotel in London for the same price.The beds are beyond firm.
The rooms are not how they are pictured in the advertisements, they are old and not up to date. The bathroom was eh. At least it had a hot shower, but the bathtub was small. Hope you don't want to relax in a nice bath. The technology is old, our tv had a big stripe down the middle where the coloration was off. Expect to be charged for any little extra. That includes internet. I am sorry, but for what you are paying to have to pay for wifi too, not ok.
The elevators, one word. SUCK. They are so inefficient you may as well walk the stairs. I spent much of my time walking up and down from the 8th floor, because it was taking at least 10 minutes to wait for an elevator. It was so bad they had staff sitting in the lobby constantly pushing the elevators so they would come down to pick people up.

Verdict: Unless you are getting this room comped, don't waste your money here. Go have a drink in their nice bars, and then go back to your much nicer hotel.

I usually like the Hyatt brand hotels, but really, this one is priced for where it is, not what it is. And there are better options.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
Green Features: I am guessing not friendly at all, since you have to keep your ac on all the time so you don't hear your neighbors yawn, and because it doesn't work well.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Texas_Tlynn
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Great location and gave us a senior discount. This was an annual trip for us six ladies who grew up together. I reserved rooms, four months in advance...and asked for same floor for our three rooms. This was confirmed a few days prior. When we arrived....they plugged us in wherever. I had to make a (nice) protest but there was "nothing they could do".....until the manager got involved and...voila!...we had our three rooms on the same floor. We stayed in the EAST tower. Rooms were clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Beds were very comfortable. (two queens each room.) The WEST tower is a bit older and we did not visit it, so I don't know about its rooms. Our room looked updated. Do NOT pick up anything off the courtesy snack tray!!! (One of our group did, not seeing the very small printed signage) You are charged for anything picked up as it is an electronic pad. Surprise! So, she had herself an expensive bag of nuts!!!

Room Tip: EAST TOWER is newer and rooms appear to be updated. We were on 6th floor and rooms were very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We had a room reserved for 2 nights but because my sister went into labor the first night, we weren't able to check in. We had already paid for the room so assumed it was no big deal to not check in. Guess not! We did not receive any emails or phone calls about our reservation but when we went to check in for the next night, we found out that they had canceled our room but had not refunded us! My husband had to argue with the hotel receptionist to get a refund for a hotel room we no longer had and didn't use. Not only did they not have any other rooms available but they blamed us for the mishap. No apologies whatsoever! This is the definition of a scam: take your money but give you nothing in return.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anna S
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, February 23, 2016
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to learn of the room misunderstanding. This is not indicative of the customer service we are capable of. I hope you are able to stay with us in the future.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 10 pm and checked in. It is at this point that the extended weekend of poor customer service begins. We're told that our reservation for a king room isn't available. The hotel informs us that they have a queen bed for us. At this point, they make no offer to compensate for the reservation that isn't there and act as though we should just be thankful we're even getting a room. The first day we left the room right around noon. We came back to the hotel around 8 pm to a room that hadn't been cleaned. There is a message waiting on the phone from hotel telling us they didn't clean the room because the privacy door hanger was out. It wasn't. I call the front desk to get new towels, not worrying about anything else with the uncleaned room. They say they'll bring some towels right up. They never brought new towels. A little side note about the towels; you know those scratchy gym towels that you use to wipe off the sweat from the machines? The hotel towels are of that quality. Everything this hotel uses is of cheap quality. I've had better quality toilet paper at a gas station bathroom. It seems as though they're looking to cut corners on anything they possibly can to save money. Don't charge me $9.95 a day for archaically slow internet. They should strive for much better, from both their staff and the bathroom materials at this price point.

I stay in Chicago often. There are many great hotels in the city. Don't waste your time with this one.

Room Tip: Chicago has many wonderful hotels. Pick one that isn't at this hotel.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Warren, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Flew in late for a meeting at the Hyatt; not usually my first choice for a place to stay in Chicago near the Miracle Mile. The late hour did nothing to curb the enthusiasm of the reception, the check in was flawless, the personnel friendly and helpful, and I got a room on the 33rd floor in the West tower. So far so good. So why the low rating? Firstly, the building is dark and dingy matched by the dark color scheme internally. With appologies to Hemingway; what is wrong with clean and well lighted? The room, nice as it was, also fit the dark schema. The real issue, however, was the meeting rooms. Sunk below ground, the dark schema is all the more depressing. My meeting room was way down in the west tower behind the escalator. The drab grey, walls, metal folding chairs, poor acoustics, and dingy table coverings made me itch to leave asap. Oh and then there was the luncheon for which I would only add that I regretted not going out for something else. While I usually appreciate a Hyatt, I wouldn't actually pick this one, unless circunstances forced it.

Room Tip: Going high and asking for a river view or lake view can help offset the dark colors
Green Features: The usual: save our laundry bill and save the planet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Broadview Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

this is a nice location by the river and this hotel is very large. Lots of rooms ,,, restaurants, bar, huge lobby, a 24 hour market downstairs ( including veggie and vegan , healthy items and coffee !) ,,,conference rooms and this place is busy. Rooms are very clean, comfortable and easy for the business traveler. I have found this hotel always well staffed ,,, never a line wait for check in or check out.
for ladies ,,, i love large counters in the bath ,, this place does not have large countertops in the bath ,, but its all good, the bathrooms are big and clean with good water pressure and showerheads.
ideal for the business traveler and you do notice that lots of international travelers stay here.
I have found the staff extremely helpful and friendly.
Wi fi is not free ,,, you do have to purchase. I find this to be a pretty sophisticated value in Chicago and enjoy staying here.

Room Tip: I have stayed at this property several times ,,, the rooms are actually very quiet. but not all hav...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business