“Ring in the New Year”

Chicago, Illinois
“Ring in the New Year”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My family stayed here for two nights starting New Years. First the positives:

1.Great location to museums and Michigan Avenue.

2. The hotel staff was prepared for the craziness that is New Years Eve. There was staff everywhere and they had a plan to keep the guests safe at night and keep certain people out.

3. The place has tons of bars/restaurants in the lobby.

4. Their fine dining restaurant is outstanding. Great service, food, and fine wine.

5. Everyone was helpful and friendly.

6. I was glad that they acknowledged my Hyatt status and were able to get me an extended room for two of the three rooms that I had reserved. I gave them to my parents and in-laws.

7. Even though it was a busy time and there were tons of people drinking and partying, I didn't hear any noise once I was in my room.

The negatives:

1. The parking is too expensive. One of the more expensive ones in the downtown area. It's just not worth it. The wait time for my car to arrive was almost 40 minutes! To be faier, it was bust having been New Years Eve/day. Still, for $59.00 they could have run it through a car wash or something.

2. The place is HUGE! This really isn't a negative at all. I prefer a bit smaller and fancier hotels. This is a great place to stay if you are attending a conference. I would come back if I were hanging out with friends for the weekend or was going to convention there. It just seemed too big and although the people watching was interesting, it was just too packed. Not really a negative, but I might consider another hotel for a more fancier, "high-end" stay, perhaps the Park Hyatt or the Four Seasons.

3. Although I do appreciate the upgrade to the higher floors, my corner room was very small. I was surprised by this. I have stayed at a few Hyatts in the US and this was the first small room that I had encountered. Think smaller than an Aloft hotel. The room was really small.

All in all, I would probably stay here under certain conditions, but the price was good. It is a good hotel for conventions or if you were having a guys/girls weekend out and you wanted to hit the nice bars/restaurants/local attractions. Not a place if you want to spoil yourself a bit,

Room Tip: Make sire that you tell them that you have Hyatt status. The staff did a nice job of trying to upgra...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm happy you chose to stay with us for your New Year's celebration. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We were on the 20th floor, amazing view, it was spacious and pleasant. It was great my experience at this hotel. The only thing was the wifi. They charge extra cost for wifi in your rooms and you have to go to their lobby to enjoy it but the rest was wonderful. If I ever come back to Chicago I'll stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your 5-star review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! It's so great to know you were able to enjoy an amazing view from your 20th flow guestroom and that you plan to come back the next time you visit Chicago! Hopefully your next visit isn't too far away!
Indiana
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three days after Christmas 2013 and it was very quiet. The room was clean, the staff friendly, and the location is a block from "the magnificent mile". Our room was cleaned and toiletries restocked each day. The staff were happy to help us check in (they have traditional check in as well as computerized checkin). The gym was very nice, no waits for the equipment or machines. We didn't eat at any of the on site restaurants but did stop by the self service market area they had. Prices for food/coffee were on,par with normal Chicago pricing. The only downside was the lack of free wi-fi in the room. It's free in the lobby and common area but you'll have to pay for access in huge room. We would certainly stay here again as the location to millennium station, shopping, and dining could not be beat.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday stay with us and that you plan to stay again! We look forward to having you back soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was blown away when I entered this hotel. The "lobby" has soaring ceilings and even on a cold day in November, this place was bustling. It felt alive. The parking staff was very helpful, the check in desk was quick and efficient and our room had a fantastic view of the river and surrounding areas. The room was very comfortable and not too fancy. I personally don't like rooms that are overly fancy because they don't feel inviting.

The location of the hotel is perfect. I was on a trip with my friends and we were able to walk and ride the blue bikes around downtown to anywhere we wanted. The rate on the hotel was really great as well, especially considering how good the hotel was and the location. I have nothing to complain about and I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room with a view of the river
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PKRJP
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your 5-star review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm thrilled to hear you were able to enjoy your November stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and you found our location to be perfect and staff to be very helpful. We hope to host you again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City!
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was back in Downtown Chicago this week for a board meeting and had the opportunity to catch up with a city that has played such a central role in our lives as meetings and events professionals for so long. To be honest I wasn’t initially enthused by the prospect of 3 days at the Hyatt on Wacker. I’d stayed there on many occasions in the past but, beyond the excellent location overlooking some iconic buildings on the north bank of the Chicago River, I’d found little to recommend it. I always felt lost in a big box facility of over 2000 rooms and tended to gravitate to smaller, quirkier properties such as The James, Kimpton’s Hotel Allegro or IHG’s Hotel Indigo.

Today the Hyatt Regency Chicago is still a big box convention hotel but deftly overcomes that “lost” feeling by connecting with you through a combination of face-to-face and technological initiatives. The interior design of the vast two level lobby, re-designed by Bentel +Bentel, is divided pleasingly into distinct cluster areas where you can gather to drink, eat, chat or work. WiFi is free of change in these public areas and there’s a bank of terminals where you can check in or out or print off a boarding pass for your flight. Plasmas are in great abundance providing information about the hotel and encouraging you to connect and interact on Facebook or Twitter. When there was no bathrobe in my room, for example, I tweeted it and promptly had one delivered.

Hyatt associates in casual black are on hand to help and there’s a killer sound track of upbeat, tuneful songs by contemporary bands like The Script and Two Door Cinema Club. Early AM risers can grab great coffee and toast their own cranberry bagel at the Market, the beautifully laid out, well staffed outlet on the ground floor. The old Hyatt, full of earnest, slightly over-weight conventionists in tucked-in shirts and belt mounted devices is gradually yielding to a new Hyatt, responding to a new generation of travellers, with different tastes and needs, less formal, more digitally savvy, more connected and definitely more mobile.

- See more at: http://padraicino.com/2013/10/04/chicago-a-night-on-the-town-and-hyatt-revisited/#sthash.Qlv6wokh.dpuf

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Padraicino
Thank you for your great comments for Hyatt Regency Chicago and thank you for coming back! I'm thrilled to hear your recent stay at our downtown Chicago hotel exceeded your expectations. We hope to host you again during your next visit to the Windy City!
Oakland, California
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Big chain hotel with the usual amenities, and unbeatable location for all your downtown sightseeing. Easy walk down Michigan to the Art Institute, etc. Also easy to walk up the other direction and hit up some great bars and restaurants.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I hope you enjoyed your time in Chicago and I'm glad you found our downtown Chicago hotel location to be great. We hope to host you again soon!
Beijing, China
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here for three nights for a conference. Location is awesome, rooms are spacious enough. Lucky enough to get a room on Regency floor and the lounge was okay. Enjoyed the lobby of the East tower.

What I didn't like was there was no free wifi. I can get it that hotels don't offer free internet now, but if you purchase wifi in your room, it'd be only fair to get the connection when there is a super long boring speech during the conference. But it turned out that you needed to pay ANOTHER load of dollars to get that. That's just cheap.

And one awful thing happened in the end. Since I used cash for deposit and had to check out early in the morning for an early flight out of O'Hare, they didn't have 40 dollars at the front desk (which is absurd). They offered me a check but since I'm no longer in the States when they offered me that, all I could get was 4,000 points in my Hyatt account in the end. And that was a month after the stay. I guess the attitude of the staff was nice during the endless email conversation, but this kind of unnecessary inconvenience should have been avoided in the first place.

Overall it is an okay choice if you get a good rate. I mean the location and the rooms are decent. But it was definitely not the best experience I had with Hyatt.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business