“Great location”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #91 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Great hotel and location. Easy walk to magnificent mile. Ask for room high enough to overlook Wrigley building and river. Easy access to underground shopping/restaurants without going outside. Ample eating and drinking options in hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for comments for Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm happy to hear you had a great stay and found our downtown Chicago location to be great. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,172)

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Ended up here after finding a pretty good deal through Hotwire. All in all it was very nice and I'd totally return, but nothing really stood out as amazing.

Hard to beat the location. An easy walk from the Blue Line at Clark/Lake, and centrally located for walking around Millennium & Grant Parks, The Loop, Michigan Ave, and Navy Pier.

Room was comfortable and modern, but lacked a view. Never heard any noise from adjacent rooms/hallways. Elevators did get busy at times, but I never had to wait long like reported in some other reviews. Check in and out was painless and fairly quick with friendly staff. I emptied the minibar to use it as a fridge, and there were no issues in eliminating the automatic charges during checkout. Free wifi in the lobbies & skybridge always worked well with my phone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! I'm thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable time at our downtown Chicago hotel and plan to return. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The good things: nice room, modern furnishings, good quality linens and quiet; great location.

The bad things: hotel is massive - runs like a machine - impersonal; 2 storey lobby and public areas are flooded with loud, strange pop music - couldn't wait to get out of that area; no free wifi unless you use their computers in lobby; housekeeping did not replenish shampoo etc. on second day; service charges on room service are very high - $21 order ended up at $35; mini bar is jammed full of what they want to sell you - not even room for bottle of water; tray full of more junk food they want you to buy is on top of credenza - prominently displayed in your every sight line - and you can't put it away as its got an electronic tether on it!!!! I moved it behind the TV to avoid temptation, and it must have sensors as the items fell over and out of place - and then charges for them showed up on my bill! Front desk removed the charges we when I checked out, but two days later the same amount was separately charged direct to my credit card.

There are so many other great hotels in Chicago - I would not stay here again. Not what I think of for 'Hyatt Regency" quality.

1  Thank CanTravel106
Randy T, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I'm very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your most recent experience at our property. We appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns with our staff. We hope to earn your business again in the future.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Hyatt Regency conveys an upscale atmosphere that is quite pleasant. Close to 5 star overall. I was there for only one night but arrived early and was accommodated with an early check-in by the young, hip check in staff. The check-in and check-out experience was smooth and professional and way above average (I am not sure I have ever been moved to comment on this part of a hotel stay, but it was just kind of special here). The room was spacious, with average decor and comfortable bed. Nothing super special here. High up but no views. The key cards have a sensor and you are supposed to just hold it up to the door, or in my case to a sensor in the elevator to access my high floor. It worked flawlessly for the door but I found myself riding the elevator up and down a bit before it recognized my card. Saw another person having a similar issue. I liked the Market, it is nice to be able to get a snack or a cup of coffee, good selection, too. Had a glass of wine from the bar, not cheap but one of the better, more expertly chilled glasses of white I have had recently. Great location for a morning jog - I recommend running along the riverwalk out to the lakeshore path. The conference facilities were so so ... pretty poor signeage overall. Wireless access issues as described in other reviews but no serious problem there. I was so impressed by the overall classy feel that I signed up for their frequent guest program.

1  Thank Friederike K

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago and for joining Hyatt Gold Passport! I'm so glad to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your most recent stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and found our hotel to be hip and classy. We look forward to hosting you again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here for a conference. Maybe I am just grouchy from being away from home too much this month but I found a lot of little annoyances with this property. So I will try to start with the positives. The room was large with a comfortable bed and nice view of downtown (9th floor east tower), very clean, easy walk to the magnificent mile. Nice bathroom with a good shower. I liked the convenience of the market where I could grab a yougurt and fruit for breakfast.

There is a nice large closet with a safe but there is really no place to put other clothes. There is a unit with the mini bar fridge that has 3 drawers, one of which had to be used for my desk items since the desk doesn't have a drawer. The third drawer is very small. If two people were in the room you would have trouble finding a place to stow your undergarments! The TV had poor picture quality and slow response. Hotels at this price range shouldn't have crappy powdered creamer in the coffee set up and not even enough of that. I had to ask to get more shampoo/lotion. The service is slow in the restaurants. You pay for wi-fi. You can put up to 6 devices on. But if you leave the room area and go to a meeting in the West tower, you can no longer access the wi-fi. There is free wi-fi in the lobby if you are a registered guest but it has a 6 hour limit.There is a desk to work at but the chair is not adjustable and it was not at a comfortable height for me. Nice chair too that looks like it should be adjustable but nothing you can do. The room service menu was weak. And as others have noted, you do here your neighbors more often then one would expect at this type of hotel.

I would stay here again for business or a conference. I would not stay here on a personal trip.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was in town for a trade show and right from the start, the service was stellar.

The guy at the check-in desk signed me up and gave me a complimentary room upgrade, newspaper (of my choice) and free wi-fi.

The room had an amazing view of the lake and Michigan Ave.

Plenty of choices for food and I especially loved the bistro on the lobby level.

Room Tip: Get a room in the West tower with a view of the lake
1  Thank Tory K
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your great comments regarding your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our service to be stellar. We hope to host you again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel was a great find for a busy summer weekend in the City. We enjoyed the hotel, it had large and spacious rooms that were very clean and new. The beds were comfy and the decor was modern and new. The mini bar was stocked with quite a variety as well. The hotel itself had a lot to offer. The bar and snack/coffee shop on the main entry level both had so much to offer. It had a very cosmopolitan look and feel. The staff was very friendly at check in. We had no trouble getting a cab to Wrigley for a concert. The only hiccup we had at all, was trying to get our car from Valet on Sunday morning to go home, we probably waited 25+ minutes. Like I said previously though, this was a busy summer weekend with two Wrigley concerts (Pearl Jam & Jason Aldean on separate nights) as well as the rock & roll half marathon Sunday morning so I'm sure it was a large inumber of people all wanting to hit the road at the same time, which wouldn't always be the case. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kbernasek

Thank you for sharing your feedback for Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly-renovated hotel in downtown Chicago and found our staff to be very friendly. We hope to welcome you back again soon!