“Excellent Hyatt”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Falls Church, Virginia
“Excellent Hyatt”
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Chicago for 5 nights in May 2008 while attending a conference. I had a room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel atrium, facing E. Wacker. The room included a sofa and a comfortable chair as well as a desk chair. The bed was comfortable. Each room has a plasma TV (~42"). Each room has an iPod dock. The room was a very nice size, as was the bathroom.

The hotel is in a very good location; within walking distance to shopping, museums, and restaurants.

I tend to favor Hyatts, and overall, I was very pleased with my stay.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
1 Thank reb1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis
Reviewed May 28, 2008

The room was nicely remodeled with a plasma tv etc. The bathroom was smallish and had no exhaust fan of any kind making it a steambath when taking a shower. The toilet didn't flush properly. The large glass ceiling lobby, restaurant, and bar area was very pleasant except for the fact the air conditioning was not able to keep it cool. The bar area had to be pushing 90 degrees on a sunny day! The drinks were the most overpriced I have ever encountered! Total ripoff. The restaurant prices were not too bad if you order from the menu. The breakfast buffet was way overpriced for the quality offered. The hotel staff was nice. I rode Amtrak to Chicago to avoid the ripoff parking fees of nearly $50.00 a day. All in all I would think there are better hotels for the money in Chicago.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — overpriced parking and bar drinks
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank alan2955
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed May 27, 2008

This is a conference hotel primarily. The property is huge, so it's easy to get lost. At $48 per night parking, it's far better to take public transportation or even taxis to get around town. I love Chicago, and the hotel's location was good for walking and shopping. However, you can get around town fairly easily without having to shell out hundreds of dollars per night, plus all the overpriced extras at this hotel. The hotel has a vibrant profit center from its conference facilities, so unless you're here for a conference, it's not worth the money to stay here.

• Liked — Location was nice.
  • Disliked — Everything costs money, lots of it!
2 Thank dangerpre
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed May 23, 2008

A very pleasant hotel, but sheesh, the prices!

$48 a day to park!!!

$5 a day to use the room safe.

$13.61 a day to use the internet.

$25 a day to use the mini-fridge (which I needed to keep meds cold)

Exorbitant room service prices.

And so on, and so on.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank ButchKin
rodetripper
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We stayed here on Saturday night, the beginning of the National Restaurant Association convention, which brings 74,000 people to Chicago. We had booked for two people on Priceline, and I know from previous stays that some Hyatt Regencys won't put rollaways into some of their rooms. We solved the problem by using 1-800-CHECKIN. I think you may have to join their free Passport Club to use this service. You can call this number the day of your stay, any time, and get your room blocked out for you on the phone at that time. The woman on the phone assured me that this would get me a better room that using the front desk. They put us in a room with a pullout sofa, in the East Tower with a beautiful view of the Park. The room was very clean and comfortable, but the noise in the hall is all too clearly audible. I actually heard the person dropping the morning newspapers in front of doors. Alas, this did not mean he was in front of my door. We were on a road trip and had a fan, but without it, it would have been a very noisy night, as people in the hall and the above mentioned staffer were clearly audible, even above the fan. The staff is incredibly polite and helpful, just who I would want to have if I had a problem. Park elsewhere - the garage was $48 a night.

Stayed May 2008
DC
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I first noticed the filth when I went to turn on the air/fan in the bedroom. The dust on the vent was 1/4 inch thick. There were crumbs in the dresser drawers. There was 1/4 inch of dust on the floor boards, on the door stopper in the bathroom, and on the sprinkler in the bathroom. The bathroom door was splattered with God only knows what! There was mold in the bathroom and the bathroom wallpaper was stained and splattered.

The remote control and TV were not working properly so I called for maintenance. The maintenance person arrive and asked me about my stay so far and I told him about the room. He called the "Exceptional Stay" department who was to come and touch up the room while I was out for the evening. I arrived back to the room rather late and noticed that I had some new towels, but that was about it. Nothing else looked as though it had been touched. The repairman had fixed the remote for the TV but by the next evening, it no longer worked properly.

I spoke to the manager at the front desk about my experiences and she offered to move me to another room, and promised to have a bell hop up to my room in 5 minutes to help me with the move. Over a half hour later, I moved myself because no one showed up. The new room wasn't much better, only this one not only had mold on the ceiling in the shower, but had mold on the shower curtain too. It was far too late at night to do anything about it so I was stuck there for a second night. I was disgusted. The next morning I secured a room at The Hard Rock Hotel before checking out -- which was beautifully clean! A collegue stayed at "Club Quarters," also nearby, and said the prices were great and the rooms were clean [if a bit on the small side.]

I would never consider staying at that Hyatt again. The one upside was that the Hyatt only charged me for one of the two nights. But they should probably not have charged me at all. I'm shocked at the housekeeping practices there. I was kicking myself for not bringing a camera on this trip.

I noticed that others have reported good experiences at the Hyatt and I'm just stunned. I am the director of a department where I work and from that perspective, if I were the management at the Hyatt, the entire housekeeping staff would be fired.

All I can add is that I stayed in the East Tower and maybe the West Tower is nicer. I had a reduced rate because of an affiliation with the university and maybe that's the reason I was given two poor quality rooms. But for $259 per night I expect far more.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Filthy!
Ontario
Reviewed April 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed here a week in April, 2008.

We were travelling with work and the costs did not come out of our pocket. If they had, we would have found some prices high. Wireless internet is $14/day; room service is $3.50 delivery fee plus 15% mandatory gratuity plus inflated meal prices.

If you are travelling for pleasure and can forego internet and room service, I recommend the Hyatt Regency. Here's why:

1. Fabulous location. It is right in between the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. Easy walk to Navy Pier, Millenium Park, Art Institute, Macy's, waterfront, river tours, and TONS of restaurants.

2. Comfortable and clean beds, linens, and rooms (pictures already posted by others reflect our room and bathroom very well).

3. Free gym. The gym is rather small but it has bikes, ellipticals, weights (free and machine) televisions, and treadmills.

4. Great concierge service - always friendly, always available.

TIPS FOR TRAVELLERS:
1. Ask for an upper floor room - you will get a good view of either downtown, the Mag Mile, the river, or the lake.

2. Ask for a fridge. They might give you one for free (though their officlal policy is to charge).

3. There is a huge grocery store called Dominick's very close to the hotel. Ask the concierge for directions.

4. If travelling via air: Take the "Go" Shuttle from O'Hare - it will bring you straight to hotel for $27 one way; $45 round trip. Discounts for groups.

BOTTOM LINE: if you can forego the small hotel feel and stay in a HUGE and impersonal complex, this is a fabulous downtown location with a comfortable, clean, and good-sized room; good concierge service; and lots of amenities nearby.

Stayed April 2008