“Great price near the mag mile”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #87 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We had an enjoyable stay at the Hyatt. Very clean rooms and the hotel has been completely renovated and looked great. We stayed 2 nights and received a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite which was nice traveling with a family of four. Our only concern was we hadn't decided to stay a third night or not. We then chose to stay another night and were told we could make our decision on the day of checkout. We made the decision to stay another night and were told it was completely booked. We would have booked the day before had we known that was the case.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Tschaenn
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and especially enjoyed your complimentary upgrade. We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Chicago

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Everyone we encountered with the hotel was very helpful, very kind. My husband called the hotel after booking our room online and was able to get a complimentary upgrade to a Junior Suite. The extra room was especially appreciated since we have two little ones.
The location is fantastic. Only a few minutes in a cab (unless there is traffic) to any of the main tourist attractions.
My only complaint was that the hotel was very, very busy downstairs. It seems to be setup more for corporate stays and meetings than for a family vacatons.
But all in all, a good hotel

Room Tip: We were in room 1977. The view was OK, nothing overwhelming. I did appreciate being on the 19th floo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank newMrsT630

Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you found our staff to be helpful and our location to be ideal. We hope to host you again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great hotel with a nice location near River and dining locations. Parking was a bit high. Rooms were clean, beds comfortable, food was very good and the bar overlooking the Chicago River was nice. Family friendly and again a nice supporting staff. I would recommend..!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dickerson2300

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found out location to be ideal. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location is great! We could walk to the Art Institute through Millennium Park, as well as up to the shopping on Michigan Avenue. The renovations were not an issue at all, and I wouldn’t even worry about them. The rooms were spacious and clean. The doorman and bellman were so helpful and friendly. We arrived very early in the day, and they were happy to let us check in early as they had a room available. It didn't have a great view, which they were quite upfront about, but we didn't care as we werent planning on spending alot of time there. They were also very helpful with choosing a resteraunt for dinner and making reservations for us. The kids were very comfortable and there was enough space in the room for them to relax. The breakfast wasn’t the best, a little overpriced for the quality compared to other hotels in the city. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the fire station. Specify a view if that is a priority for you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Patti E

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We are glad you were able to enjoy your recent stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and found our location to be great. We hope you come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I managed to get a room here at a reasonable price when I couldn't get one anywhere else in Chicago. This is a ginormous hotel--two buildings. That said, the service was very good. I left something in the room after checkout--and housekeeping promptly found it and brought it down to the front desk for quick pick up. My room had a great view up the river and out to the lake. It was also very understated and contemporary. There were numerous conventions taking place at the hotel, and my room was quiet and the elevator service still surprisingly quick. The one issue was getting a cab. The line for a cab was always very very long! Best part was the location--central to everything--the museums, the architectural river tour, concerts, restaurants, Michigan Avenue, etc.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mvictoriap
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. It's great you found our location along the Chicago River and steps from the Magnificent Mile to be convenient and easily accessible to all of Chicago's major downtown attractions. I hope you are able to stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Chicago hotel is finish renovations to update the appearance. The new feel is very contemporary, not really my style (I'm a soft woods and warm colors kind of girl.) but it does make for a clean and shiny look. The staff was VERY helpful and appeared to be very concerned about making the hotel look the best. I saw one front lobby member bending down and lining up welcome mats to keep the entrance looking perfect.

My room was in the west tower and was clean and pretty large for the Chicago area. The furniture was updated and provided a nice resting and working environment. The personal hygiene supplies already included toothpaste which should be standard now in all hotels!

My trip was not without a few bumps. The upgraded lobby now focuses on self check-in. Numerous kiosk greet the weary traveler. While they worked fine during my check-in, I heard several grumbles from fellow conference attendees that they didn't work and they had to stand in a LONG line to check-in. While checking out, the kiosk locked up on me and would not allow me to go any further in the process. I had to call the next day to get my room folio emailed.

During my first night, I attempted to have room service delivered. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, I gave up and went downstairs. The new AmericanCraft Bar/Restaurant was slightly confusing where to enter. Apparently, they stop serving in the restaurant section after a certain time (it was only 7:00) and you have to go to the front bar. I was seated with a menu and several waitstaff passed my table, but nobody came to serve me. I finally got up and walked across the hall to Stetsons (the steak/sushi restaurant). While I really did not want this big of a meal, my service was impeccable and my food was perfect. Unfortunately, the meal was much more expensive than I had wanted to spend.

Overall the trip was OK. They have some kinks to workout in the technology and new food service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine S
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Hyatt Regency is centrally located to most attractions. It is a short cab ride or walking distance to Navy Pier, shopping, museums and Shedd Aquarium. The staff is extremely friendly and the hotel is clean and modern. The beds were a little too soft for me as I have back problems and need firmer mattresses. The main restaurant offered a decent variety of menu items and a nice breakfast buffet but we weren't impressed with Stetsons Sushi and Steak. It has an extremely limited menu - basically JUST sushi or steak. No kids option or pasta dishes and quite pricey. We were disappointed that the hotel didn't have a pool but we should have looked more closely before booking. One great thing was that parking was included with the room. We didn't know that when we booked so that was a nice suprise.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank leigh o

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! We really appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay at our downtown Chicago hotel. We hope to host you again soon!