“Good large hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Good large hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Standard large, fancy chain hotel. It was good with all the expected amenities and service. Storage guys could have been nicer, however. It’s in a good location, but a little bit of a walk from the metro station for the train to the airport – about 15mins walk, which was a little farther than I though, but still fairly close and very walkable. Rooms are comfortable and spacious enough. You pay extra for views if you want them – I don’t think they would be worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear your stay in the Windy City was good and I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chulmleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in September as we were attinding the Ryder Cup in Chicago.
Our stay was very enjoyable with all services what you would expect from such a Hotel.
It is however a very business like hotel with what appeared to continually having many people in transit and with the reception on the first floor and no specific traditional hotel lounge area, this had the effect of taking any atmosphere away and making the hotel a little soulless.
The rooms were fine and the service was OK but my tip would be to avoid using the mini bar. (I know you expect to pay a premium in a hotel but Hyatts prices were ridiculous.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was in Chicago for a business trip and stayed at this property for the first time. The front desk staff was very helpful and kind. Despite this hotel being quite expansive and under renovation, it was easy to navigate as there were numerous signs.

I have only one complaint. The walls in this hotel are extremely thin. I was able to hear a lengthy phone conversation / argument from my "neighbor". I was able to clearly hear the conversation for 2+ hours ending after 11pm. Then the guy next door decided to reengage in his phone argument at 6am the following morning.

When I checked out I told the lady at the front desk about what happened, and got a very canned "oh, I'm sorry".

While other parts of the property were very nice and the location was convenient, I value my sleep too much to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'll be sure to pass your comments along regarding noise to our Front Desk and Security staff so we can take corrective action. We do instill quiet hours from 9pm through the night. Come see us again soon- reach out to me personally at patricia.kanke@hyatt.com so I can ensure your complete comfort the next time you visit the Windy City.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed here earlier this week (December 2012) for work.

-Room was brand-new seeming and I had a lovely view of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan (the check in person gave me a choice of lake view or city view, which I appreciated.) His name was Yonnes or something similar- -shout out-- he was awesome!

-Service was very friendly. Every staff member I passed, including maids, etc said hi to me, and offered to help me find what I was looking for if it appeared necessary.

-Agree that hotel had a very bustling feel and it is a major convention center.

-It's very close to the Michigan Ave shopping destinations-- easy walk

-Service was great; ordered room service twice and it came quickly and was very good food. Normal big city room service prices. Not too insane.

-Sink in bathroom was absolutely tiny and had a lot of trouble perching my stuff on the edges. If it had been more than just me in the room it would have been really tricky.

-Odd but there didn't seem to be an option to re-use your towels (or bed linens?) There was no sign in the room and I tried hanging the towels back up but got new ones anyway the next day. Seemed oddly out of step with the green trend.

-Gym was in a tunnel under the hotel and a pretty long walk-- annoying. Gym itself was reasonably large, quite a large number of treadmills and ellipticals and a few other things, decent selection of weight equipment, fitness balls, etc. They had individual TVs on the cardio equipnment. There was sort of an abandoned, dated looking salon in the same level that creeped me out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and I hope you choose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel again soon! Our conserve program is still in place for the re-use of towels, and I apologize you weren't able to see the sign that said so. I'll make sure our Housekeeping staff is aware of this concern and we'll be sure to correct it. Come visit us again soon! We loved having you here.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner on a long weekend in Chicago in December 2012. Overall, it was a pretty good experience, and I would return. However, there were some things about the hotel that would prevent me from giving it a 4-circle rating.

First, the room needed some maintenance. Although very stylish in its decor, there were some flaws: the desk chair was broken (it's height function was snapped off), which made using the desk uncomfortable. The sink and basin were small, so there was limited space to put toiletries. The closet was oddly designed: there was very little full hanging space because a chest of drawers had been put in the closet. So, we didn't really have enough space for coats, pants, etc. The lighting in the room was really terrible -- at night, it was very dark. The worst part, however, was (a) thin walls and (b) connecting doors on either side of the room. The result was that on the first night we heard the neighbors to the right (who were having loud conversation and drinks) and, on the next morning, we heard the neighbors to the left.

The hotel is a large convention facility and has that feel -- two towers, long walks to fitness center and lobby, etc., but I knew that when booking. I did think that, for such a large hotel, service was responsive: when we needed a couple of things in the room, they were brought quickly; check-in was efficient and welcoming; getting a cab was pretty easy, etc.

The hotel was doing some renovation in public areas, but it wasn't hugely disturbing. We didn't use any of the hotel's bars or restaurants; I passed a couple and they had a pretty hotel-ish feeling. The fitness center, in the basement of the east tower, was excellent: lots of equipment, good selection of equipment, clean, etc.; I only wished it had some windows.

The hotel's location is great; it's on Wacker, a block off Michigan, with easy walking access to Michigan Ave. shopping, the Loop, the park, etc.

I was given (due to my Hyatt status) access to the club lounge, and I thought that as lounges in the U.S. goes, it was well done, with pleasant evening appetizers and a pretty nice (continental) breakfast.

Overall, I would return, but I also think there are better options in the same vicinity, many of which have a similar price point. (Although, for the record, the rate I paid for the room over my stay was very reasonable).

Stayed December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here for my brother in law's wedding. Upon checking in, we learned that an additional room we had booked for the wedding night (for babysitter) was not showing on registration. Someone in reservations made a mistake. I was very worried, but assured by the check-in agent, not to worry - he would take care of it. He took my cell phone number and promised a call later. Well, I received that call while at rehearsal dinner... "Hi - I wanted to let you know that I checked with management and I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do for you as we are all booked for tomorrow evening". WHAT? I called back and told them they needed to fix this... he said I can put you on a wait list for cancellations, but there are many ahead of you. This was not acceptable to me, so he told me to see someone the next morning. I went down to the desk, was very kind... explained my story and, again, was told not to worry - they would make it right and call me w/ room information. While getting my hair done for wedding, I got that call - a message. "I'm sorry, I spoke with management and we are overbooked. There is nothing I can do for you." Meanwhile I am stressing - have to get make-up done and be at the wedding soon... and I need a place for my babysitter and kids to stay that night. I go back to the desk and am so stressed that I break into tears. THEY made a mistake, why is it so hard to make it right. Long story long... the woman felt terrible, got another manager... he finally "found" a room for me, but told me "I'm really not supposed to do this, but because there are kids involved...." What? Thanks - but you ARE supposed to do this. Someone at your hotel screwed up our reservation... you ARE supposed to make this right. I had no time for arguing but was so upset that I had to talk with 6 different people, stress and shed tears to get this cared for. As for the accommodations - rooms were nice, however it's so busy there you feel like you are in an airport. I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Todd C, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I'm sorry to learn you experienced a lack of customer service. I assure you this is not indicative of the type of service we provide and assure you if given another opportunity, you would agree. Please reach out to me at hrcemarketing@hyatt.com and I will see to your complete satisfaction. We would love to have you back!
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was a nice hotel, very modern and conveniently located. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We were a little surprised by how big and bustling the hotel was upon arrival. It had the feeling of being in an airport. Check in was quick, and that was nice. Our only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the following day when we were checking out, we called down to the valet service to bring our car around. We were told they were not taking call down's, that we should just proceed to the desk on the garage level of the hotel. We made our way down only to realize that there were at least 50 other people down there also waiting for their cars. We stood outside for at least 30 minutes, in the underground garage area, inhaling fumes. This was the worst hotel valet service we have ever experienced. Next time we will choose a smaller boutique hotel, which we've always enjoyed in the past.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family