“Everything I hoped it would be.......and more!”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #86 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Novi, Michigan
“Everything I hoped it would be.......and more!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

First let me say, I am a pretty frequent traveler, and have stayed in hotels all over the US and Europe, and I have had lots of experiences with indifferent desk clerks, less than stellar housekeeping, cold breakfast buffets and the like....which is exactly why, I can say with total certainty that my stay this weekend at the Hyatt was FIVE STAR and then some!

We arrived via train saturday morning around 11am...prime time for checkouts! The lobby was crowded, but the bank of desk clerks were well equipped to get everyone processed quickly. Within ten minutes, we were with a desk clerk who greeted us with a smile and plenty of enthusiasm. Without prompting, she told us she would be upgrading us to a lakeview room (WOW!) and though our room was not ready (check in is 3pm) she assured us that if we went out for a bite of lunch, they would call as soon as our room was ready. We took a walk to Navy Pier, had a nice lunch, and around 1pm, got a call from the hotel that our room was ready. We headed back, picked up our luggage and headed up to our room...and we were blown away. Beautiful room, king bed (SO COMFY!), and the view was exquisite. Our room was located in the West tower, and was newly remodeled. The bathroom, beautiful marble, and everything was clean...a MUST in my book! Also, we noticed that we did not hear any room noise from the hallways or the adjoining rooms all weekend, though we know there were guests there. We slept soundly and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Also, the hotel is conveniently located right off Michigan Avenue, and we walked everywhere, and the cab ride, with tip, only about 10.00 from the hotel to Union Station.

We regrettably, had to leave this lovely place this morning, after a superb breakfast buffet in one of the hotel's restaurants, complete with made to order omelets (and a VERY nice and personable omelet chef!). The buffet may be pricey to some ($22.00), but it was well worth it. The food was hot and delicious!

I have to say, every Hyatt employee we encountered this weekend smiled, greeted us warmly, and was gracious and courteous in every way. Having recently stayed at the Hyatt in Boston, and having a similar experience, I have to believe Hyatt recognizes that hotel guests are looking for an A+ experience...and I am here to tell you, Hyatt delivers!

Don't forget to "LIKE" their facebook page....they "announce" the word of the week, and if you mention it at checkin, you will receive free parking and free WIFI for 24 hours (and maybe even an upgrade!)

We will be back to Chicago...and the Hyatt....very soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor and for being a social guest of ours! I'm so glad you were able to have a nice time while you were in the Windy City and found our downtown Chicago hotel to be convenient to Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier and within walking distance to all major Chicago attractions. I will make sure our staff receives your compliments- we love our guests, and I'm so glad it shows! I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to Chicago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 10, 2012

What a great location for Chicago in December! - we were there to see the city during the holiday season, and get some shopping in - and the Hyatt Regency was such a central location for all that we wanted to see and do. Very close to Millineum Park, Navy Pier and of course Michigan Ave! (and only a quick cab ride to the Lincoln Park Zoo, that was all lit up for the season.)

On another note, we had two of ladies that wanted to be back to the hotel early Saturday night.... so the other two of us also enjoyed the hotel's bar for some wine- and it was a great spot to hang out with no need to cab any where - fun atmosphere, and great wine!

We also used the fitness center - lots of machines, but more importantly (to us) it had free weights, jump ropes, and resistance bands that we used for a morning work out.

Rooms are great - worked well for four women to get ready at the same time! (...large mirror in the bathroom and full height in the room.) And also, COMFY Queen beds :)
It's our new spot to stay, and can't wait to go back to see it once the lobby is done.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you girls had such a great weekend in Chicago and found our downtown hotel the BEST location for shopping along Michigan Avenue, a stroll through Millennium Park and a quick trip to Lincoln Park Zoo! We can't wait to welcome you back after our lobby renovations and hope you get to plan another girls trip soon! We'd love to have you back! Cheers!
New Bremen, Ohio
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Effiency at check out and was able to get into our rooms early. They are undergoing some renovations but it did not interfere with anything that we did. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bar staff was friendly and attentive. A bit of a wait for our car but it was a heavy check out time, so to be expected. There is a Starbucks on the premise, which is a real plus. The location is great, a half block off Michigan Ave.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of our downtown Chicago hotel! I'm glad you were able to stay with us and hope you choose to stay with us again soon! We are so close to all major Chicago area attractions and in the heart of the Windy City... we are central to it all! See you soon!
Elkhorn, WI
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. We requested a room on a high floor (this being our first over night stay in Chicago) and we were given a room on the 32nd floor. The view was AMAZING!!!! The beds were very comfortable, the room and bathroom were very clean. Staff was pleasant. We had shrimp cocktail and a BIG Margarita at Big Bar in the hotel... and it was soooo good! Highly recommend! The location was also very good... just down the street from Michigan Avenue and all of the shopping. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy our downtown Chicago hotel and find our location to be so convenient and close to all of Chicago's major area attractions. We love our BIG Bar and I'm glad to know you were able to enjoy a BIG margarita and some tasty treats! I'll pass along your comments to our staff and let them know to keep up the good work! Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon! Cheers!
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

As we stood in the garage...waiting to get our car...because valet told us to go pick up car yourself...they weren't running cars this morning..I thought to myself, "I have been more faithful to the Hyatt brand than most people are to marriages. Even though things have gotten a little slacking in our stays this past year...for almost 25 years I have opted for Hyatt. I am now wondering if it's time for a divorce! This was our first stay here...i had requested a crib on my reservation, at check-in & with 2 calls we finally got it a couple of hours later. Same with a toothbrush request. Same toiletries you would find in a cheaper motel..shampoo, soap, conditioner & lotion...no more. Ordered room service for child & that didn't get delivered as ordered. Then to top it off..we had to go get our own car this morning!! I will say..it's true..you get what you pay for...our room was $99 + $25 for E-Upgrade for a larger attached room. It was inexpensive, with poor service. Definetly a convention hotel that isn't yet equipped to handle large crowds. I would give many of them an E for effort!

• Stayed December 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I checked in on Friday evening and the lobby, as I had read before, was very crowded. The line moved quickly and the gentleman who checked me in, Brian, was polite and upbeat. I got to my room, which was very spacious and clean and relaxed. I had contacted the hotel prior to leaving for Chicago, because I noticed that a travel site was starting to run a room special with half-off parking. They graciously attached the half-off parking to my reservation and informed me that if you "Like" them on Facebook, you can get parking deals all the time. I thought that was very nice and a great show of customer service. I didn't spend a ton of time roaming the hotel, as I had a lot of other plans, but it was clean, in good order and everyone who worked there was smiling and friendly. I had a quiet room and a great stay. I was alerted by a note under my door late Saturday night that they were expecting higher than usual departures for Sunday morning and it gave tips on checking out by phone and getting your vehicle from the valet in a timely manner. This was a great idea and definitely saved me a lot of time and frustration. Way to be proactive! The Hyatt is in an excellent location and has a nice queue of taxis ready to whisk you away. I will be staying here again and will recommend to friends in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor of Hyatt Regency Chicago. I'm glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and were able to utilize our Word of the Week program on Facebook! I hope you are able to join us again when your travels bring you back to the Windy City!
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Spacious and clean room fr a reasnable price....walking distance to all points of interest and bus/subway routes. Only one complaint...although concierge did answer questions when asked directly, not one (except Jason in the west tower on the last night....thank you Jason!) offered us the gold hyatt card....the free wifi would have been great in the room our entire 4 day trip...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple