“Very big hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Very big hotel”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here on a mix of business and pleasure. It is a great location. This is not the place to stay for a spa kind of experience. It is also not the greatest for coducting quiet business. This is a great big hotel for high standardized quality, large conferences. I only mention that, so that one is aware of what it will feel like. Once you get that into your system. You can enjoy a host of other activities nearby, boat rides on the river, the deep dish pizzas, hard rock cafe and the park - all within walking distance (a mile or less). Overall good quality and standardized hotel with no surprises - leads to a very comfortable stay .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, very good ones are available
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you had a comfortable stay and found our downtown Chicago location to be quite accommodating to your trip. We love being in the heart of the city next to Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park. I hope you choose to stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,354)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Like many other trip advisor reviewers my "review" began the moment we arrived. I am glad I waited a few days until I commented because the hotel did grow on me a bit.
For one the location is great. Easily within walking distance to many things including the Magnificent Mile, Starbucks, Corner Bakery, a small grocery store, Millenium Park, Wildberry's Pancakes and the River.
Rooms are surprisingly small and the bathrooms are really poor even though they are new in design. There is no counter space and zero storage space so your toothbrushes, etc are dangling on to the sink ledge.
We upgraded our room for the view which we really did enjoy and while it was an extra $20 it was worth it.
Gym is decent but sadly there is no pool. They do have many services on location such as hair salon, dry cleaners and store. Parking is pricey at $50+ overnight.

This is a very large hotel spread between 2 towers. We stayed in the West tower due to our view upgrade which meant that you have little interaction with the main hotel & restaurants. They do nothing to lure you over to the other tower & thats a missed opportunity for them I believe. Most times that we crossed through our lobby in the west tower there was not even a single person from the hotel to greet us or assist us. That made us question the safety issue even though there were no problems for us and you do need your room key to enter the elevator after 10:30pm.

We had great sound proofing & really thought this to be a huge benefit of the hotel until our last night when we had a couple of lovebirds rent the room next to us with a less than sound proof adjoining door.
We expected more from this hotel & with so many hotels to choose from we were somewhat disappointed. I think when you are choosing to stay in a hotel over a holiday to some degree you want to feel welcomed, wanted & important.
**I also want to mention that we checked with the front desk staff on Thanksgiving dinner upon our check-in 3 days prior to the day and they were "not sure" if a Thanksgiving meal was even being offered.

Room Tip: Go for the view!
Florence
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at this Hyatt last year for our quick Thanksgiving day trip and we stayed at the other Hyatt on Ohio Street on the Magnificent Mile this year. Both times we booked via Hotwire and paid under 160.00 for two nights for a party of four. The service is very good and accomodations are great. I will say this Hyatt was probably my favorite of the two. The one this year, which is better for the shopping was a smaller room (they upgraded us last year just because). Tracee at the front desk was awesome when we needed assistance with the train system to get to a less than desirable location of Chicago (you can't pick where you breakdown on the highway - but it wasnt the cars fault it was the Christmas Tree that was dropped on the highway). Overall good service.

Room Tip: Our room was ok... there is a hospital a block away so I did hear sirens at night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay at our downtown Chicago hotel and enjoyed our sister property down the street, too! We love our frotn desk team and am so glad to hear you received great service. I hope you choose to stay with us again soon! Cheers!
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This Hyatt has a great location and we plan to return to it on our next visit to Chicago. We checked in Thanksgiving evening and encountered very helpful staff members such as Ashlee at the front desk. We had the Costco rate of $125/night. I saw another reviewer state a $65/night rate on Priceline. Compare and you'll see these prices are very good for such a great location in downtown Chicago. Our room was clean, adequate, had a partial river view and the beds were comfortable.

The location is hard to beat. Millenium Park is just four blocks away, Art Institute is at the south end of the park, Cultural Center across the street from the park. Michigan Ave. and the Water taxis are a short walk. We purchased the day bus pass and found it helpful to get to places like the Hancock Center, Macys, Chicago Theatre, quickly, but those places were within walking distance, too. Shedds is a short cab ride away. Because we were in such a great location, we were able to see a lot in a short amount of time.

If you are a business person with an expense account, the convenience of eating at the hotel will trump the cost. However, if you are visiting Chicago for a fun weekend, plan to eat away from the hotel to save some money. The food costs tend to be high-as you would find in most downtown major hotels in any city.

For example, plan to spend about $8 for a cup of coffee and a muffin at the Hyatt coffee bar. By contrast, one of Chicago's best restaurants, Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe, is just a few blocks away for a much better value. Also, a few blocks away is Giordanos Chicago-style pizza which is another good value and they deliver. A little food market, Bockwinkel's, with a deli and fresh produce, is just around the corner on Stetson St.

Please know, if you are traveling with young children, that this Hyatt does not have a pool. It is a place focused on the convention-business markets. Even on Thankgiving weekend, the Hyatt was sold out part of the weekend for a convention.

We did experience some "quirkiness" with the housekeeping staff as they geared up for clearing the rooms in anticipation of the incoming convention crowd. At 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday, hours before check-out, there was a knock at our door from housekeeping. The sole purpose of the intrusion was to verify we were checking out that morning.

Room Tip: There is a fire station on Columbus Ave. Light sleepers on lower levels might find this to be a pro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your great review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay and found our location near Millennium Park, Shedd Aquarium and Michigan Avenue to be so convenient. I'll be sure to pass along your kind notes to Ashlee at the front desk. I hope you choose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel again! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
wville
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hyatt Regency Chicago is a huge hotel in a prime location, therefore we would never pay rack rate to stay there, and still wouldn't consider it for a moment even after receiving 5* service for our two night Thanksgiving stay. Considering what we paid for our room (via Priceline bid) we are very satisfied with our overall experience, however cannot give 5* for two reasons:

1) There is ZERO sound proofing in between rooms (we were in #2810) - it is as if your fellow guests are hanging out in your room. Even the slightest noise could be heard - the clink of a key to the South, all the way up to full blown party to the North. Let's just say if we HAD paid regular price we would not have been too thrilled!

2) The bed was definitely plush, but 2 nights = 2 mornings with a very sore back. I think the mattress was just getting to the point of needing replacing, or it is simply not supportive enough in the first place. Of course that is a very subjective thing, and I wouldn't have knocked a star off for just this reason alone.

Apart from these two points, everything was very enjoyable. On check in I said the magic word for free wifi, and free wifi is what we got. I also asked for a room as high up as possible, and was happy to be offered the 30-something floor... but then the receptionist mentioned that the view wasn't great from that particular room - would we like a different option? So we ended up on the 28th floor overlooking the river with a restricted but still very fine view out over Navy Pier to the lake. Apparently this would have been an upgrade even for regular rate, so for $65 per night it was much appreciated! I love the city... from a bird's eye view!

So we decided to take a nap (rather full from Thanksgiving Buffet with family at a Hilton in the suburbs) right after checking in at around 6:30PM. A little while later we heard a knock, which was just discernible as being at our door over the partying that was going on in the room next to us - someone at which had already hammered once on the door 'dividing' our two rooms! I thought it was someone looking for next door, so I stumbled (in my sleeping 'attire') to the door and told the person that they were knocking on the wrong piece of wood. A lady's voice mumbled something, but I heard my name. I asked her to give me a minute, and then opened the door to find Guest Services with two bottles of water, a package of chocolate covered toffee, and a 'we love you, thanks for interacting with us on FB, here's some goodies, please leave feedback' hand written card! Baffling service to receive in such a vast hotel booked via a discount website - but what a way to roll! We were very impressed, and yeah I really wish I could give 5*. But if a hotel can't make at least an attempt at inter-room noise control then I don't see how they can expect 5* reviews. It's as simple as that. If there was the option, this would be a 4.5* review, but oh well.

Big Bar is wonderful. The Bistro was fine. Renovations to the other restaurant areas are ongoing, but there is still also the Irish Pub themed bar available. We enjoyed the food and drinks and received fantastic service all round. Yes, it is expensive, but not shockingly so.

There ya go! Pay your money, check in, and pray for quiet neighbors. Unless of course you plan to party yourselves - in which case PLEASE try and be considerate to those who are basically sharing your room with you.

Room Tip: Make sure you get on their FB page and find the magic word for free wifi and discounted parking. We...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear you found the views from our downtown Chicago hotel to be gorgeous. We love our location near Michigan Avenue, the Chicago River and Lake Michigan! Thank you for being a social guest, too! I hope you choose to stay with us again soon! Cheers!
Illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2012

this is a big, busy hotel with two huge towers. it's not a place i would choose for an intimate getaway, but the location is great; just over the bridge from michigan ave and a nice stroll to all the stores and restaurants. when we were there (Thanksgiving), there were a bunch of conventions and a big wedding going on. getting our luggage out of luggage storage on saturday afternoon was a zoo. but service was really top notch.

we got the hotel through priceline, and saved some $ by parking in the millenium garage, which is a 3 block walk. no in and out privileges, but it was half the price of the onsite parking. there is a also a full service supermarket (bockwinkels), directly behind the hotel so we skipped the overpriced hotel food and just picked up some stuff there for snacks and breakfast.there is free internet available in both lobbies and also in the skybridge that links the two.

the weather was really nice the first couple of nights so we walked up michigan ave to eat at the foodlife buffet at the water tower (about 1 mile), which has tasty and healthy food--a huge salad and hot food bar with turkey, stuffing, kale salad, 4 different kinds of soups, etc.

the rooms in the hotel are not huge, and i wish the beds were a little more firm. no pool. it was also really overheated for the first couple of days but once the weather cooled down the room was comfortable.

concierge, bell service, and the front desk were all top notch. i would return,

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our downtown Chicago hotel on TripAdvisor! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass along your accolades to our staff on their superb service! I'm pleased to let you know we offer a Word of the Week on our Facebook page. When you mention the word at check-in, you receive daily discounted parking and complimentary wi-fi for 24 hours. We hope to welcome you back soon to Hyatt Regency Chicago! Cheers!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We took a little trip to Chicago just before Thanksgiving as a get away. This hotel had a special rate of $97/ nt during this time. It was one of the best deals I've stumbled on in quite a while. I'm not a huge fan of "top end" hotels as they charge for EVERYTHING. This Hyatt is no exception. I'm sorry, but $12.95/ 24 hrs for Internet access? Rip off. But the room was incredible with a fantastic view of the city. For that, I will give this place a top rating on service as the gorgeous young lady who checked us in offered it up at no extra cost (I don't want to get her in trouble just in case, so I won't mention her name)). For this reason alone - I will be back (that and the low room rate). Again, clean / modern / well maintained hotel. No pool or spa, but what the heck. The bed was fantastically comfortable!

Room Tip: Ask for a high level with a view of the city (as long as they don't charge you extra for it).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! It's so great to hear you were able to stay with us at our downtown Chicago location near Millennium Park and Michigan Avenue! I'm pleased to let you know we offer a Word of the Week through our Facebook page. By mentioning the word at check in, you receive daily discounted parking and complimentary wi-fi for 24 hours! Our front desk agents are great at what they do- and we encourage name mentions via TripAdvisor so we can pass along your comments. (She definitely won't get in trouble for making sure your stay was great!!) If you're able to let us know who assisted you- please do! Cheers!