“Good hotel in central Chicago”

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #88 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The location of this hotel is very convenient. There was a big conference at the hotel when I stayed there. So there were long queues for check-in, check-out and the restaurants. The service is quite good but the rooms are quite small.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm glad you found our downtown hotel to be convenient to all of Chicago's main attractions. I hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to downtown Chicago!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Chicago

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The place is well situated within walking distance to a lot of fun places, and the lobby, bar, and restaurant are beautiful and swanky.
I found my room in the Executive Wing to be quite small and slightly disappointing. The bed was reasonably comfortable, but the place was small and very average compared to the grandiose lobby area. The parking was a long, long way from the executive wing, and hauling luggage through the place wasn't great, but valet was an option.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the bar made terrific mojitos. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago. I'm so glad you found our downtown Chicago hotel's location to be ideal and within walking distance to all of Chicago's major area attractions! I will be sure to pass along your comments to our F&B Director to let him know you enjoyed your experience in our outlets. We hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to the Windy City!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed for two nights, got an early check in. A room with a spectacular view. Everyone was very polite. Lots of help on hand for check in & out process. The location is terrific. The walk from the subway (great value, easy to navigate) was less than 15 minutes. All in all a really great time! Of course free wifi would be sweet, but not a reason to give less stars!

Room Tip: 2518, great view!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm so glad you found our location to be ideal and our staff to be so polite. We offer a word of the week on our Facebook page. When you mention the work at check-in, you receive 24 hours of free wi-fi and discounted parking. I hope you are able to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to the Windy City! Cheers!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I recently visited Chicago for a blogging conference, which was held at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. I have been to Chicago many times, but never stayed at the Hyatt. Prior to my trip I followed them on FB and Twitter and communicated a couple of times...they are keeping an eye on their social media! I like that! I saw that they were running a contest to be VIP for the weekend that I was there, so I went ahead and entered that...why not?
Upon my check in I was greeted by Jason, who was super friendly and happy to see me. When it was time to get my keys, he vanished down the way and came back with Dylan, the VIP Manager and they informed me I had been selected as the VIP winner for the weekend! WOW - I was so happy I cried! NOW, here's where the super service kicks in...I told them on Twitter that I needed a bathroom with grab bars to accommodate my handicap because I had a broken foot. SO, I was given my room keys, told that my room was in the West Tower, which is where my conference was, so I wouldn't have to do too much walking....and that I could use the Regency Club as part of my VIP treatment, and that was on my floor as well! YAY! I collected my things and made my way over to the West Tower and upon entering my room, I was amazed with the view - from the 35th floor - the river and Lake Michigan....it was lovely! Then, I looked around and saw that they had indeed put me in a bathroom equipped with grab bars....WHEW! And, thank you Sarah for sending the special VIP treats to my room. The room was wonderful, clean, quite, very nice. The bed was super comfy! Every employee that I encountered was friendly and courteous. I ordered room service one night and it was delivered promptly and the food was hot and delicious! I ate breakfast in the Bistro and it too was delicious. I was so happy with my stay, from beginning to end. There is a Starbuck's in the lobby of the East Tower. It is also only about 3 blocks from Millenium Park, and there is a Giordano's Pizza about 2 blocks away...super convenient! Highly recommend the Hyatt!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Patricia K, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you so much for your great review of Hyatt Regency Chicago and thank you for being a social fan of ours! We love that you were chosen as our VIP Guest of the Day and hope you choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City! It's so nice to hear Sarah, Dylan and Jason took such great care of you during your stay at our downtown Chicago hotel. We love having them on our team and I'll be sure to pass along the nice note to them! Thanks again and we hope to see you soon! Cheers!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Considering the size of the place - it's huge - they do a really good job in managing the facility. Check in was smooth and quick, facilities clean and well laid out. However, I had what was the smallest hotel room I've ever had in Chicago. It didn't really matter since I wasn't in the room much - but avoid 1801 in the west tower (or I imagine any of the xx01 rooms in the west tower) unless you don't have claustraphobia. It was certainly a well appointed room, but if I had wanted to swing a cat, it wouldn't have been possible. No offense intended to cats.

Room Tip: Avoid the xx01 rooms in the west tower unless you are comfortable with a small room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MEGATRAVELER

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor for Hyatt Regency Chicago! I'm glad you found our hotel to be convenient and well-run, albeit the smaller room. (Thanks for the laugh on that one!) I hope you choose to stay at our downtown Chicago hotel the next time you are in town. Reach out to me personally and I will see to your complete comfort. Take care!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here for four nights while attending a trade show. It is a nice hotel, very large (2,000+ rooms). It had all the amenities you would expect, and is not cheap. In addition to my room charge, I had to pay $13 a day for internet service (the slow speed option; the high speed option was $39 a day!), the obligatory "service charge" tacked onto a room service order, the 16% room tax (thanks, Chicago!) etc. A candy bar from the minibar runs about $5.

I ordered room service several times. It was always prompt and the food was always hot and good.

When I checked in they asked me if I minded a room by the elevators. I made the mistake of saying "ok" -- the noise was bad enough they had a white-noise generator in the room! That's about my only significant complaint -- otherwise it is a nice, if not inexpensive, place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KeldiKlutz

Thank you for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you had a nice stay and will let our F&B Director know of your compliments to our Room Service food and service. I'm happy to let you know that we offer a Word of the Week on our Facebook page. By mentioning the word, you will receive a complimentary 24 hrs of wi-fi and discounted parking during your stay! We hope you choose to stay with us again in the Windy City! Cheers!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My mom and I stayed at the Hyatt Chicago during the first week of November. We were excited to see that the hotel has a great location and we were able to easily walk to Millennium Park, Cloud Gate, and the Cultural Center (they are only a block or so away!), Magnificent Mile, the John Hancock building, Navy Pier, and more.

This time of year was a good time to visit because while it was before the major holiday celebrations begin we were still able to see many of the decorations up. We were thrilled to see that Macy's on State Street even had their tree up and lit as well as their window displays up and running. It was very festive and fun.

Our room on the 33rd floor was beautiful. The view was nice and we could see other buildings, the river, and even a sliver of the lake that offered a gorgeous glimpse of the sunrise each morning. Our room was spacious and the decor was neutral tones with splashes of warm reds and oranges. We enjoyed the close-up shots of Chicago in our room and throughout the building. The bathroom was well lit and large, the desk was roomy with an easily accessible outlet in the side of it that made it simple to charge all of our devices without having to unplug anything else, and the flat screen tv was large and offered a nice selection of channels.

When we came in on a Thursday the plaza level was quiet but each night it seemed to get busier and busier. I did hear there was a graduation and a marathon going on at the same time so that was why there were so many people. It wasn't a problem but I'm noting it to say that I was pleased with the continued customer service even though there was a definite increase in traffic and to also note that the elevators were wonderful and we never had to wait more than a few seconds for one.

The lobby is beautiful with it's glass atrium and water feature and the food at the Big Bar is delicious. I liked that the two hotel towers were connected by sky walk so you could go between them without having to go outside. The seating in the skywalk was nice too, you could sit and relax and enjoy a cup of coffee while enjoying a nice, warm view of the city.

We had a great time at the Hyatt Chicago and would recommend it to others. We enjoyed it so much we hope to be back again soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your review of Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor! I'm so glad you found our downtown hotel to be so convenient and within walking distance to all major Chicago attractions! I love the lights at Macy's, too!- I'm so glad you were able to be here for them! We boast the best views from our hotel and I'm so glad you were able to have a view of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to the Windy City! Take care!