“Hyatt Regency Flagship Hotel - Highly Recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Chicago
Ranked #85 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Hyatt Regency Flagship Hotel - Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

I went to the Cubs opening weekend (had amazing tickets) and needed a nice place to stay for my brother and me. I always like to stay downtown with so much to do in Chicago, restaurants nearby, easy access to the El, etc.

Anyway, the room was very comfortable, modern styling which was nice, clean, great view.

The lobby was really nice - coffee shop, gifts, restaurants, etc.

Parking was expensive - this is Chicago afterall. My brother managed to park in the street for free a block away. I chose the valet service - nice but expensive.

Free Internet if I signed up for the rewards club.

Really friendly and professional staff. Concierge, front desk, porter. This was really important to me.

Great location.

There are some really nice hotels in Chicago, but many are simply not in my price range. I really liked this hotel because it had all I needed and was a great rate. I go for the bargain deals on 3 1/2 to 4 star downtown hotels and this was perfect! I also liked the Swissotel on Wacker and Hilton at Grant Park, but I think this was my favorite so far taking into account the great price I received for a hotel in this location and with this star rating. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I usually use Priceline, select downtown area and 4 star hotels. If you are lucky, you can get a ho...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank JungleMan123
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you so much for this gleaming review and for your recommendation of Hyatt Regency Chicago. We are so glad you could join us downtown for your vacation. I'm so happy to hear that you made such a wonderful connection with our staff. We hope that this experience brings you back to our hotel again very soon. As a Gold Passport member we will be sure to keep you posted on upcoming specials. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I spent a long weekend with my family, Thursday through Monday, at the Hyatt to attend a family wedding. This is a big and very busy hotel - but well handled by the front desk, an informed and helpful concierge and the bell desk staff. Kudos to those folks.

Unfortunately the Big Bar staff, and in particular the Big Bar manager let the side down – and badly too! Although I can identify with the frustration bar staff has to put up with, late at night, dealing with patrons who may have "over-consumed" on the fortified refreshments, nonetheless professionalism should demand courtesy and good manners. None of these traits were displayed by the bar manager, when at a few minutes past one o’clock in the morning, not having over-consumed on the fortified refreshments, I requested a round of drinks for myself and my family. In spite of the bar notice stating the bar closes at 02:00 a.m., I was told the bar was "closed". When I politely questioned the barman (and the bar manager) why the discrepancy between the sign and the bar being "closed", I was rudely treated in a patronising manner and my questions discarded off hand. In some other service industries, the attitude and behaviour displayed by the bar manger, would not be tolerated and would result in disciplinary action, or perhaps, remedial training. When I complained to the front desk, the night duty manager offered a complimentary bottle of wine from our room mini bar. Although we did not take up the offer, the response of the front desk is an example of a far-sighted and intelligent response. In spite of the attitude of the Big Bar manager, I would recommend this hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your comments about your stay. I am distressed to hear about your interaction with one of our associates. I've passed this review on to our food and beverage manager to follow up internally.

We appreciate your feedback. If you'd like to further discuss your experience I'd be happy to speak with you. We hope this doesn’t dissuade you from returning to our hotel.
Columbia, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for two nights for a family trip to Chicago. We booked the hotel via phone with Hyatt central reservations. We usually stay at a Marriott or Hilton but, despite several negative reviews online, thought we would try this hotel due to its location and price. To begin, central reservations listed our AAA rate as having complimentary internet (on the email confirmation). Based on several complaints about this very charge on TA, we called to confirm this. Central reservations said we did not have it despite the email, but that we did have comp. breakfast. We though this was agreeable and did not pursue the internet issue. We also noted that our confirmation via email has two adults and two children listed as guests. When we arrived we again checked with property desk staff about the breakfast because our in house self check-in receipt listed only two guests. We were told via phone (front desk) that four breakfasts would be complementary. The second day, in good faith, we checked to see if breakfast was complementary for one or two days. The manager said that we never had complimentary breakfast and if that was a component of our rate there would be only two. He further said that he would do us a great favor and take off the price of two of the four and also offer us two free the second day (which required us to purchase two more unless we let our kids watch us eat). Despite this, he would not comp all four for the first day. His attitude, as I perceived it, was not service oriented (unless the "I am gong to make you a great deal" [that costs you money] attitude is service), and he repeatedly said, only what is in writing matters. Essentially he was justifying lack of consistent verbal communication across Hyatt employees (though notably he would not admit our room came with comped internet, which we chose not to use based on the conversation with central reservations). The breakfast was not a small charge--$95 for four. It was nice but not that nice and we would have never purchased it if central reservations had not told us it was included (along with the local employee that said we would get four). This too, the manager simply did not understand (by his own words).

The short story is the negative reviews you read on TA are accurate. Hyatt (or at least this Hyatt) will gauge you such that you should have stayed elsewhere for a slightly higher rate and avoided the hassle (the Embassy Suites breakfast is comparable and all guests receive it). Also, the hotel may be technically a four star property but three stars would be more accurate so that should be considered when comparing rates. One bright spot was the excellent housekeeping. In sum, based on miscommunication, we were stuck with ~47.00 charge (half was comped) that was represented to us a free. Hopefully Hyatt will get their employees across offices/properties and email confirmations in sync for future guests. We will avoid Hyatt in the future based on this experience.

Cleanliness
Paul_Daly_151, Resident Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
I am very sorry to hear about the miscommunication with your AAA rate, and regret we did not resolve this to your satisfaction while you were here. So glad you found the housekeeping service to be a bright spot. Hopefully, one day, you’ll reconsider and give us another chance. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

My trip to Chicago ended in smiles much of that thanks is due to Matt at the front desk. He saved what was a potentially disastrous situation with grace and kindness. I had come down to the desk as my room was filthy and he took great care in making sure he personally rectified the situation. The regency itself is an excellent location and great deals can be found on rooms. I would advise staying there and checking out the architectural boat tour.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your stay with us at Hyatt Regency Chicago. I've sent your comments about Matt along to his supervisor for the proper recognition. We are happy that he could be of assistance to you during your time here. We're so honored that you gave us this recommendation on TripAdvisor. We'd love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel upon your next stay downtown.
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

This hotel is HUGE. The whole experience is very impersonal (and I am not one who really cares about everyone knowing my name...). We asked for a room with a view of something (some rooms seem to look onto a roof) and were told the ONLY room left was next to the elevators. The guy at the front desk was very honest and told us the elevator noise really bothers some people and doesn't others. We thought we would try it - the noise was obvious but you did get somewhat used to it and we were on a high floor so the elevators did not come all the way up every time. The view was great and worth the noise - over the river and up the Miracle Mile. The room has been recently updated and the furnishings and art were very attractive and modern. The bathroom was smallish but updated also. However, the new, attractive seating (other than the bed or desk chair) was HARD like a rock and very uncomfortable - meaning the only place to sit and read a book or look at the view was on the bed. Really poor design. Chairs are for sitting!
This huge hotel has one small Starbucks in a hallway so just leave for your coffee/breakfast/snacks - there are lots of great choices close by.
We were here for a meeting; if I had to choose, I would choose some other place to stay in Chicago. There are many other choices and Hyatt makes it easy to leave and find a better hotel.

Room Tip: High floor with view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

The Hyatt was AWSOME!!!!!!! Clean, the staff was very courteous and professional. We requested an early check in and our room was ready at about noon or so. They offered to call us when the room was ready and even held our luggage at the concierge desk. Housekeeping replenished towels and cleaned the rooms everyday if needed. We were in room 1422 which gave us a lake view and some of Navy Pier which was perfect for the Saturday night fireworks display. Location is excellent. Quick riverside stroll to the pier…everything is super duper close. We planned on getting a rental car to visit family from the Hertz in the building but the train (Brown, Orange & Green lines at State Street) was just hop skip and a jump away. We even took the train back to Midway airport which took only about a half hour. Breakfast buffet is open until 1:30pm, a bit on the pricey side ($25 per person) but my 4 year old ate for free and for a skinny mini she has an appetite of a teenager. ..all the bacon you can eat. There are also plenty of great restaurants nearby. If you’re looking for a little night time action there are a few good clubs no more than a 15min cab ride. There was even a clown in the check-in lobby making kids balloon toys.

A few minor down sides but not a deal breaker. They did hold a deposit on our credit card for incidentals but just about every hotel does that now. I wanna say it was only about $200.00. I’ve had some hotels hold as much as $500 before. Room internet is $13.63 a day. Parking is $45 per night. Hotel doesn’t have a swimming pool.
The Hyatt will definitely be our hotel of choice if we stay downtown again.

Room Tip: Got a great rate at booking.com
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the kind words on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to hear you had a wonderful experience at Hyatt Regency Chicago. It sounds like breakfast was a big highlight, but nothing beats bottomless bacon! Next time you return to the hotel and want to take your daughter swimming, we are currently working with out neighbors at Lakeshore Athletic Club to offer $10 access to Gold Passport members. They have a 50 meter pool and a gorgeous rooftop pool with a lovely view of downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Windy City home. Thanks again for the nice recommendation.
Tiffin, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed here July 1st thru July 5th, 2011. The location of the Hyatt is GREAT, right beside the Chicago river and just one block east of Michigan Ave. Our room overlooked the river so we had a good view of all the river traffic, water taxis, tours, and pleasure boats. The room was nicely decorated in a contemporary style, looked great, no function. Very limited drawer space so we kept our things in our suit cases, night table beside bed was very small, the telephone took up 2/3 of it and my glasses just fit on the rest. Hotel staff was friendly but not outgoing. The lady who checked us in messed up, so we were locked out of our room the third night, a trip back to the lobby fixed this situation quickly. Elevators are very slow at peak times, early morning & evenings, there was staff there on two occasions to direct traffic for elevators as the backup of people in lobby waiting got ridiculous, I counted 28 people at one point. We were in the west tower so we would walk across street and use elevators there. Valet service is very slow also, called for our car at 11am, they said 20min., at 11:45am I told the valet to forget it we are going to get a taxi as we had a tour booked for 12:30pm and needed to get going, at checkout our car took 40min. to arrive, and the back corner was all scratched up, which was another delay with filling out an incindent report. They said they will cover it, we'll see, I have my doubts. DaddyO's pub in the hotel is fairly sad, told us to sit anywhere when we went in, we took a booth, waited and waited for service and both bartenders avoided us, got up and went to the bar and they waited on us right away, beer for me, soda for my wife, hers was flat, ask for another soda...... flat too. We both noticed the beer bottles on the back bar are covered in dust as was the shelving, gross, not much cleaning going on here. One drink and we left. Overall the Hyatt is OK, not what I expected for a Hyatt but average, we have had better service at less expensive hotels in Chicago. The Hyatt will not be our first choice when we return to Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask for the West Tower to avoid elevator waiting, ask also for a room facing the river (North).
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple