“Typical Marriott comfort - nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either...”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #131 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Mississauga, Canada
“Typical Marriott comfort - nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either...”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed for three nights with the UIC rate ($169/night).

The good:
+ Comfortable, clean, spacious room
+ Conveniently located to UIC and 5 minutes from Taylor street (lots of restaurant options)
+ Friendly staff
+ Reasonable fitness room - ~6 pieces of cardio equipment and free weights with one bench
+ Reasonably priced restaurant with good selection of options (for a hotel)

The bad:
+ Internet was wireless only and was not free - Marriott needs to differentiate itself by making this free across all of its brands. Internet access is now no longer the "novelty" it was two decades ago!
+ No ability to turn up the heat - choice was either Air Conditioning (very cold) or no fan. I went with the latter...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Mount Juliet, TN
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My wife and I travelled to Chicago for a long weekend. We received this room from priceline.com for a wonderful discount. The hotal was very centrally located to everything we desired to do. We had no problems at all and the hotel was clean and as nice as other Marriots I have visited. Prices were slightly high, but that comes with staying at a Marriot.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
wolfp10
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in June 2009 while in Chicago to attend a sporting event at Soldier Field. The hotel is located just outside the loop and to the south of a major highway.

The hotel appears to have been recently renovated. The amenities are modern and new. The bathrooms are rather large and quite functional. The hotel is located in the heart of the medical district, and as a result there are not many restaurants or shops in the immediate area. The closest CTA station is the Polk station on the pink line, which is directly connected to the loop. The hotel does offer a shuttle that leaves every half hour to bring you to local restaurants as well as to the Racine stop on the blue line, which will bring you to O'Hare Airport.

My only complaint was the air conditioning wasn't working properly in my end of the hotel, and the hotel maintenance was slow to fix it after numerous rooms complained about it. Otherwise, the hotel staff was knowledgeable and friendly, and the hotel is in an excellent location.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2009

This hotel was excellent. Of course I say that given we booked the room through priceline at $60USD per night plus taxes. I would not pay the $350USD advertised on the website for the same time period.

The actual hotel is quite modern or has been very recently updated. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, but the actual size of the rooms are quite small in comparison to other hotels. If you're only sleeping the in hotel like we did then it's not really a big deal. The front desk staff are extremely helpful. I called ahead to request things such as king beds, late check out, adjoining rooms and such but for some reason the request was lost. None the less the front desk staff worked quickly to still provide us with every requested item including an early check in as we arrive 2 hours earlier then expected.

This hotel is only a couple blocks from Polk subway station to get downtown and from Taylor street where you can easily grab something to eat/drink. The area around the hotel is very clean and safe as well.

The only complaint I would have is the ambulence sirens that go off in the night. I heard them once a night but other sound sleepers didn't hear them at all. It really was only a couple seconds before they were gone and I was asleep again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank WrldTrvlGrl
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We decided to take our three children to Chicago for our fall break. We booked the Marriott on Priceline for $115 a night. If you are going to the city to sightsee and shop, it's a fine hotel if you don't mind taking the public transportation into the city. You can easily take the train or the bus to Michigan Avenue in about 20-30 minutes. We didn't feel unsafe even coming back to the hotel at night. We basically used it as a place to sleep and went sightseeing and shopping all day. There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel and they have a free shuttle that takes you to the nearby train stop. The front desk staff was excellent in helping us figure out what bus or train we needed to take to get to where we wanted to go. The lobby is nicely decorated. Our room was clean, but worn. The side chair in the room was so beat up that I'm really suprised that they hadn't hauled it to the dumpster. The beds were comfy. Suprisingly I only heard one siren in the middle of the night even though we were right across the street from the hospital. We parked in the hospital parking lot b/c that was only $13 a night and the hotel parking was $28. You don't have in and out priveleges at the hospital garage, but we used the bus/train to get around. Definitely not a 3.5 star like it is rated on Priceline, but we were happy with the money we saved by staying here and felt the staff was great.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed October 3, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for business at the end of September, into October, 2008. I thought the room was below average compared to the typical Marriott. The wallpaper was starting to peel in certain locations, the rug was a little worn, and the mattress was really hard. Also, I'm not sure if I was being more microscopic than usual, but I seemed to find lots of little hairs all over, including on the bedspread, pillows, and sheets.

Perhaps the worst part of my experience was the noise. My room was facing the main road and Rush University is building a new hospital across the street from the hotel. On my first night, they were doing construction through the night and I had a tough time falling asleep. They did not work any of the other nights, but they did get started pretty early in the morning. Furthermore, there are a lot of other hospitals in the area (it's called Medical District for a good reason!) and I heard lots of ambulances throughout the night. Of course, I traveled with another person from my office and he did not complain of any noise, as his room was on a different side of the hotel and he could not hear the construction or ambulances.

This hotel had a few positives, though. First and foremost, although you are not staying in the main Chicago downtown, there is a city bus line that is right outside the hotel and will take you downtown in less than 15 minutes for just two dollars each way. Also, you are in easy walking distance (about 3-4 blocks) of Little Italy where there are plenty of interesting local restaurants to dine at, and you can also walk to the Jewel-Osco supermarket. The hotel staff was very helpful, too. A worker at the front desk very happily printed out my airplane boarding pass for me (the free computer in the lobby - only for printing out boarding passes and not for free internet surfing - was not working) and she also reserved a shuttle for my trip back to O'Hare.

If you plan on visiting Chicago for pure leisure, I wouldn't recommend this hotel. You'd be much better off staying in "The Loop" (the main downtown area), but if you have business to attend to on the South Side, I'd check this hotel out.

• Liked — Convenient for business in the South Side of Chicago
  • Disliked — Not as clean or comfortable as the typical Marriott
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We spent 3 nights here for our son's wedding, occupying 2 rooms with other family members and friends also staying. For $140/night in the Chicago area, it wasn't a bad value. The hotel is not downtown, but downtown is easily accessible by car (not recommended) or train.

We found the employees to all be very friendly, pleasant and helpful. The breakfast, while pricey as one would expect in a chain hotel in a major city, wasn't exorbitant and was a pleasant buffet. On site parking is expensive at $28/day, but there really is not much other choice.

• Liked — value, location
  • Disliked — parking cost
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)