“Serves limited Location”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #136 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is an ok hotel if you're visiting UIC, or the Rush medical center. They provide a shuttle for a one mile radius, which means walking distance.
The location is inconvenient for downtown activities.
Little Italy is a short walk away.
At our stay, the warm lobby was an indicator of our stay there. In our room, the airconditioner ran constantly to keep our room at even a moderately cool temperature. The room always had a damp feeling in it, which I wasn't expecting on a hot dry day. I'm guessing the high humidity in the hotel added to our discomfort as well as the warm temperatures.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

allen006,

Thank you very much for recently staying with us and for taking to time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to learn of your "ok" feelings regarding your experience. We have encountered some very humid days this month with record-setting storms, and that can definitely warm-up the public spaces when guests are frequently enterting and exiting the building as they have been lately due to the always busy Summer Season. I am happy to report that today, while humid outside, our Lobby is nice and cool.

Little Italy is a short walk from our Hotel, and our shuttle does run anywhere within a mile radius (which includes the United Center and Greektown), but we do have plenty of public transportation right outside our door, and for only $2.25, one can take a number of buses or CTA Trains Downtown in less than 10 minutes. Our Shuttle also drops off just a few short blocks from The Loop.

Again, I thank you very much for your business and please feel welcome to contact me again if you are coming to Chicago.

In the Spirit to Serve,

Adam Nemirow
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work
June 25-26 2013, and I was very impressed. Very clean and tidy hotel.
My cab drove up n quickly the doorman opened the car door to assist. He didn't ask if he should get my bags, he grab my bag from the back of the car and said hello, welcome to Marriott.
The ladies at the front desk seemed almost happy to see me.... Like we had met before. What a greeting;)

Customers service sells a hotel...plain and simple
SPECIAL:
1. They asked to check my ID when they brought my wine to my room. Cute (I'm 54) and keeping people safe.

2. My IPhone charger didn't work...so I go downstairs to purchase a new one. They don't have a place to buy one.
Soooooooo, the young lady behind the desk said to me " let me see, I think I have my own with me today and you can use it"
Now THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE

Con: no gift shop

Pro: great service
Really nice business center open 24/7 with use of your key

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here on a weekend there was a big conference happening and so hotels were super expensive. We paid a pretty penny to stay here (which is why I've rated value as low) as well and I wasn't a fan of having to take a taxi in and out of the downtown area. The rooms were really clean. The staff were amazing - everyone was really helpful and friendly and it felt like they really cared. Highly recommend if you don't mind taking a taxi (~$15) or public transit to go downtown!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you need to be at Rush Medical of the University of Illinois at Chicago this would be a great choice. It is located right across the street from Rush Medical and is within 3 blocks of the CTA Blue Line. I used the CTA from O'Hare Airport to Racine, then it was a easy 3 block walk to the hotel without any transfers. The hotel's website list the train as an option, but it would be useful to provide the information about which station to use to access the hotel by this eco-friendly and low price form of transportation. The staff at the hotel were all wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel was awesome. Love the staff and they answer any question that i had. I was only there for one night. The shuttle driver was amazing. The restuarant on site was so good. The housekeeping and the room was clean and it was done so nice. I have never been at a hotel where the water pressure was amazing. I ended up staying in the bathroom longer. I love this hotel and will probably be back again when i visit Chicago again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Santrill J
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel does no disappoint! From the Front Desk, to Housekeeping, the Shuttle Driver to the Restaurant and Room, they exceed expectations. Not only was the room spotless, housekeeping met me in the hallway upon arrival to ask if they could do anything else! The Bartender is AWESOME - Jim creates his own mixes from scratch and crafts each cocktail individually, no fake stuff here, all done with a great sense of humor and a bit of showmanship! The location is perfect, next to Little Italy and the restaurant/bar seating is indoor/outdoor almost park like with cushy couches and chairs. When in this city I am use to overpriced everything. This hotel is the opposite, from the cocktails to the food, it's quite reasonable. The shuttle driver is super friendly and at your service, upon arrival at Racine Station, I called and the van showed up in less than 5 minutes! On one occasion took us to 7-11, waited for us while we bought water, coffee, etc . When we called from Francesca's on Taylor, he was there in less than 5 minutes. All in all, this hotel is a Chicago Gem. We were in town for the NRA (Restaurant) show and the city was completely booked. $10.50 cab ride to McCormick and QUICK! This hotel will be my place when in Chicago! PS: I was on Marriott Points during their busiest time of year and was still treated like gold!

Room Tip: Stayed in 418 overlooking trees, very quiet! This is the medical district and next to a teaching ho...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Chicago for the last part of our honeymoon. We scored a great deal on priceline (name your own price) for the Marriott at UIC. We choose this area for the price and the location of the train-line into the loop. The pink line station (polk street) is only 4 blocks away and it goes right into the loop/downtown area making transportation quick, easy and affordable.

The staff was pleasant and respectful when we checked in. We got upgraded to a room with a king bed without even asking. The room itself was clean, with a working mini-fridge and a keurig brewer. My favorite part was the shower; it was so powerful! I love taking a hot shower with excellent water pressure. I can see how someone would feel it was "too much" but again, I loved it.

The business center they have in the lobby isn't the greatest. It's an old computer with an outdated version of internet explorer on it. I know they charge for the internet; we didn't bring our laptops so I have no idea what the charge would be. We weren't in our hotel room that much the entire weekend; we took advantage of the train/bus systems and got to see the entire city so we didn't need internet.

The bed was comfortable and every single employee we ran into had a smile on their face and a nice "hello" to follow. They also had a shuttle service that ran every hour to go anywhere within a mile radius of the hotel; we didn't use it but saw that many guests did. There's a Jewel/Osco about 4 blocks down that you can hit and grab some snacks so you don't have to pay the outrageous water/food costs at the hotel.

You can't complain with a nice comfortable bed/comforter; clean area and good staff. If you're looking to score a good deal and willing to take public transportation where you need to go this is a great deal; otherwise you'll have to pay the $100-$400 dollar a night prices to be in the downtown/loop/gold coast area.

Room Tip: I always recommend priceline; do the express deals and/or name your own price and plan ahead for you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple