“Decent hotel near Rush/UIC, but noisy & bad curtains”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #136 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I feel like I am cursed when it comes to loud hotels these days. I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. Why is it that hotel room doors have to slam shut? The room I stayed in had the typical drapes, except that in this room, only the shear/gauze like drapes closed all the way. The drapes that would have blocked out the bright morning sun (which appeared at 5:45am) only covered 1/2 the window. Between the noise and sunlight, I didn't sleep too well.
Staff was very nice, especially in the hotel restaurant (where it seems that staff from Rush/UIC hang out after work for dinner and drinks). Minor restaurant complaint, it took way too long to get & pay for coffee in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 11, 2012

a/c never got cold. Shower flange not attached to wall. bath door lock hinkely fixed with a flathead screw. park $30 (but free with overnight stay). BIG problem $200+ hotel and no complementarty breakfast or paper or wi-fi. Buffet breakfast had omlete station but no server available, bacon (which is good even when bad) was chewy, sausage was cold, oatmeal was runny... breaksfast was $16! Come on its not Easter or Mother's Day. Any way... good points staff was friendly and helpful. Area was close to UIC Campus and short walk to nice choice of resturants. The workout room looked decent but I did not have time on this visit to use it. The Average rating is on the pooer end of average not the middle or very good end of average.

Room Tip: the beds were doubles and not queens - take that into consideration if you have to sleep next to som...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Philip E
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Philip E,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am sorry to hear of the shortcomings you encountered while a guest at our property. Please rest assured that the observations you made regarding the fixtures in your bathroom and our breakfast buffet have been properly addressed; I appreciate your response to my personal email so that I could research your specific room and the date you stayed.

In regards to the cost of parking, we offer some of the lowest rates in Downtown Chicago. As well, our breakfast buffet, which includes endless amounts of eggs made to order, meats, dairy products, Danishes, bagels, cereal, juices, coffee, etc. is also competitively priced. We do provide complimentary USA Today Newspapers Monday through Friday; please note that they do not publish over the weekend, which is when you stayed with us. We do have a Chicago Tribune box adjacent to our Front Entrance.

I do also thank you in regards to the kind comments about our Staff Service; we take great pride in treating all of our guests like they are in our home.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay, and please feel welcome to contact me if you are in Chicago again soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I visited Chicago in April and attended a Blackhawk and Bulls game at United Center with my son. From the time we entered the building until we left the staff treated us first class. The girls Rosalind and Victoria at the front desk were so helpful at getting us accurate directions. they were sweethearts always cheerful and smiling. After the games we stopped at the hotel bar and met Madeline who was fun and sports knowledgeable. A nice little bar and restaurant at the hotel.
The hotel had a shuttle that took us right to the front of United Center and picked us up there within 15 minutes of us calling for ride. The driver Karris is awesome. I had some great conversations with him. All the staff made sure our stay was great.
The rooms are clean and average size. There is a small workout room also. We did not really explore the area much. We were in walking distance of subway to go anywhere. We toured Wrigley Field. We could have had shuttle take us to train, but wanted to walk nice day.
I strongly recommend this hotel especially Hockey/BB game trips. United Center 10 minutes in shuttle. GREAT STAY!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jerry L
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Jerry L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I am so happy to hear how satisfied you were with your experience. I appreciate your kind words concerning our staff and facilities, and will make sure to share them with our Team. We specially recognized Rosalind, Victoria, Madeline, and Karris in front of everyone so they understood how much you appreciated their efforts.

As you mentioned, we are very close to the United Center and offer complimentary shuttle service.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

This is a great hotel -- except for one very big problem: All of the doors SLAM hard. So, when anybody is entering or leaving their room, wait, oh, there it is: KABOOOM! Big explosion in the hallway. The walls are very thin. I was in room 313 and could hear every phone conversation, bathroom gig, and television from the room next door to me. They weren't loud but it sounded like they were in my very own room!! The bed was great. Concierge lounge very nice. Room service was done well. Room was clean. Shuttle very convenient, especially for trips to Little Italy and Greektown. But if you can't get any sleep because of all of the slamming doors, what good is any of the rest of this??? I love Marriott properties but I'll forego this one in the future.

Room Tip: Don't unpack until you get a feel for the type of noise you're going to be dealing with from...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank soflabiztraveller
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed here overnight and the property is remarkably quiet and unassuming. Staff were extremely pleasant and accommodating and the room was spacious and very quiet with a garden view to the back. Good internet. Would have benefited from in-room coffee maker. Otherwise it served all my needs.

Room Tip: Face the garden to the back.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hepadoc

hepadoc,

As you mentioned, we are very close to the Illinois Medical District and offer discounted rates for all hospitals.

We do have in-room coffee makers, which are located in the television armoir, as-well-as offer Starbucks Coffee through our Rooks Lounge.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here visiting UIC, which is about a ten-minute walk away. My room was spacious and pleasant, overlooking Harrison but quite quiet. The associated bistro, "Rooks Corner" was good for breakfast and lunch, though not cheap. I got a free wifi by asking the desk. The hotel also offers a half-hourly shuttle within a mile radius which was a great advantage on the last day as I had to get my bags to the university.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My son and I were in Chicago for a long weekend, to catch a Bulls game. The stay didn't start off well, as I had made reservations over 3 months in advance for a 2-bed room. When checking in, the front desk told me all they had was a King bed with a rollaway bed. I was paying $200+ per night and I wasn't going to have anyone sleep on a rollaway. After some persistance, a 2-bed room suddenly became available.

The hotel itself looked decent, but could use some renovations. The doors to the rooms seem older than other hotels I've stayed at and allowed quite a bit of light once the lights were off. The beds were firm, to the point of being hard. The rooms were on the smaller side and there were no real amenities to speak of. The shower was great, more than enough hot water and the pressure was the best of any hotel I've stayed in. The staff were friendly and accomodating, for the most part. The room service and food were typical hotel fare. They offer a free shuttle service within a 1 mile radius, which gets you to more than enough places; everything else you'll need a taxi.

A word of warning about "their" pool: It's NOT in the hotel. You have to take the shuttle to another site, and then take the shuttle back to the hotel. Needless to say, I was disappointed in not being able to take advantage of a little pool time.

All in all, if you're in town to visit the United Center, this is definitely a good place to stay (only 3/4 of a mile away). If you want to tour the city, stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the end of a hall. Too much noise!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

clwcpa,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, I will make sure to share it with our Team.

As you mentioned, we are very close to the United Center and offer comlimentary shuttle service. We are also very near to 2 different subway stations and adjacent to 2 major bus lines that all run Downtown.

I am sorry to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay. Most weekends are filled with large parties staying in the same room, and we try to accommodate everyone's request for double-bedding as much as possible. I am glad that our Staff was able to eventually accommodate you and your son.

Our Hotel was renovated in 2009, and we generally get very high marks on our decor. While we do not have a pool onsite, nor am I aware that we advertise one, we do sell day-passes for the UIC Fitness Center which has an olympic-sized pool. We do have a right-sized, state-of-the-art fitness center onsite with individual tvs on each piece of cardio equipment.