“Convenient and comfortable”

Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Ranked #135 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed here visiting UIC, which is about a ten-minute walk away. My room was spacious and pleasant, overlooking Harrison but quite quiet. The associated bistro, "Rooks Corner" was good for breakfast and lunch, though not cheap. I got a free wifi by asking the desk. The hotel also offers a half-hourly shuttle within a mile radius which was a great advantage on the last day as I had to get my bags to the university.

There are newer reviews for Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC

Reviewed April 25, 2012

My son and I were in Chicago for a long weekend, to catch a Bulls game. The stay didn't start off well, as I had made reservations over 3 months in advance for a 2-bed room. When checking in, the front desk told me all they had was a King bed with a rollaway bed. I was paying $200+ per night and I wasn't going to have anyone sleep on a rollaway. After some persistance, a 2-bed room suddenly became available.

The hotel itself looked decent, but could use some renovations. The doors to the rooms seem older than other hotels I've stayed at and allowed quite a bit of light once the lights were off. The beds were firm, to the point of being hard. The rooms were on the smaller side and there were no real amenities to speak of. The shower was great, more than enough hot water and the pressure was the best of any hotel I've stayed in. The staff were friendly and accomodating, for the most part. The room service and food were typical hotel fare. They offer a free shuttle service within a 1 mile radius, which gets you to more than enough places; everything else you'll need a taxi.

A word of warning about "their" pool: It's NOT in the hotel. You have to take the shuttle to another site, and then take the shuttle back to the hotel. Needless to say, I was disappointed in not being able to take advantage of a little pool time.

All in all, if you're in town to visit the United Center, this is definitely a good place to stay (only 3/4 of a mile away). If you want to tour the city, stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the end of a hall. Too much noise!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

clwcpa,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, I will make sure to share it with our Team.

As you mentioned, we are very close to the United Center and offer comlimentary shuttle service. We are also very near to 2 different subway stations and adjacent to 2 major bus lines that all run Downtown.

I am sorry to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay. Most weekends are filled with large parties staying in the same room, and we try to accommodate everyone's request for double-bedding as much as possible. I am glad that our Staff was able to eventually accommodate you and your son.

Our Hotel was renovated in 2009, and we generally get very high marks on our decor. While we do not have a pool onsite, nor am I aware that we advertise one, we do sell day-passes for the UIC Fitness Center which has an olympic-sized pool. We do have a right-sized, state-of-the-art fitness center onsite with individual tvs on each piece of cardio equipment.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay, and please feel welcome to contact me if you are in Chicago again soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here on business with the University of Illinois Medical Center. The negative of a hotel in the Medical District is the sirens. Lots of ambulances coming to the Medical Centers. That and the charge for internet access were the only negatives I experienced here, and I will admit that paying for internet access is a pet peeve of mine. The ambulances they have no control over. The hotel has a modern contemporary appearance. The lobby was bright and inviting with a sitting area offering complementary Wall Street Journal and USA Today. Every staff member I encountered was cheerful and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable, with complementary coffee/tea, a refrigerator, and a great work area. I was not able to see any restaurants within walking distance so I opted for the hotel restaurant/bar. The food was excellent as was the service and all reasonably priced for Chicago. They do have a shuttle service available; however, I did not use it and unable to comment. Coming back in two-weeks and will be staying here again, even though I have to pay for internet access. :-)

Room Tip: Street side rooms are nosier due to ambulance traffic.

QuitemanTravels,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I am so happy to hear how satisfied you were with your experience. I appreciate your kind words concerning our staff and facilities, and will make sure to share them with our Team.

As you mentioned, we do offer special rates for those visiting the Illinois Medical District as well as the University of Illinois at Chicago.

We also have several package rates that include wifi and parking, as a way to lower the costs of these amenities. Our wifi price does also include all local and long-distance calls made from the room.

As well as our wonderful restaurant that you had a chance to experience, we are walking distance from Little Italy, and a complimentary shuttle-ride from Greektown.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

A cut above other hotels in this price range thanks to a recent remodel and amenities like a mini-fridge and good room service. I chose this hotel for its location next to the UIC campus and was very pleased with the facilities and service. No free wifi ($14/day) is a negative, as is $30/day for parking, but that's pretty standard for a Chicago hotel. Noise level is comparable to other hotels in this class: you'll hear everything in the hallways and the heating/cooling system is pretty noisy.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Wanted to stay on Michigan Avenue however, the hotels were either sold out or extremely expensive. My family was in town for the weekend to attend a concert at the Chicago Theatre. The hotel had positive reviews and the rates were reasonable, so we decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised!. The staff was hospitable, the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable! The hotel has a small fitness facility with up-to-date equipment. Valet parking was pricey however, it was expected. The only negative we experienced was the air conditioning unit at times was a bit loud. Overall excellent stay and I would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

FavorChicago,

As you mentioned, we are convenient to Downtown Theatres and are competitively priced compared to other hotels in Chicago.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Had to bring my mother to Chicago for a specialist at Rush and Marriott was recommended by them. The front desk were very friendly and helpful and the whole place is very clean. The bed's were too firm for me and I woke up many times because of it. I'm sure if I had checked they would have fixed it somehow but my mom needed good rest and I didn't want to wake her. They gave us a special rate since we were there for Rush. The valet service is top notch! The driver's were very polite in helping mom get in and out of the van. Would stay again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
CHIDM, Manager at Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

travelingeast_8,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I am so happy to hear how satisfied you were with your experience. I appreciate your kind words concerning our staff and facilities, and will make sure to share them with our Team and the Valet Drivers who were on duty during that time.

I am sorry to hear that you found our mattresses to be uncomfortable. We quite often receive very high marks on the quality of our beds, but I do understand that everyone has their own personal preference.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

We chose this hotel for location, we were attending a concert at the United Center. A bonus is the complimentary shuttle, that took us to our venue and picked us up after. It is pricey with the valet parking and the fee for wi-fi but it was just worth it for us to get the ride to the concert, we could have drinks and not have to worry about it. The hotel was classy, the rooms were comfortable, nice linens, coffee, refrigerator, nice size bathroom. I was not impressed with the way the shower worked, but everything otherwise was good, we had no issues with noise from the streets. If I could improve anything it would be the option for queen size beds, we had 3 in the room so had to take doubles, that just made me cringe, I'm used to a King, and the wi-fi for the price should of worked better.
We spent a lot of time (and money) at the bar, Jim was a fun bartender and lots of other concert goers made it a good hang out after the show. We had an appetizer there before the show, the food was good. There wasnt much for food/restaurants in the immediate area that we could tell. Front desk, vallet, shuttle driver, everybody was friendly, highly recommend if your attending a show at the United Center.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

WiAng,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, and I am so happy to hear how satisfied you were with your experience. I appreciate your kind words concerning our staff and facilities, and will make sure to share them with our Team and Jim, who was your bartender and has been with us for almost 5 years now.

As you mentioned, we are less than a mile from the United Center and offer complimentary shuttle service to our guests. Our shuttle also takes guests to places such as Little Italy, Greektown, and anywhere else within a 1 mile radius.

We do have 8 rooms with 2 queen beds at a small upgrade price, but we were unfortunately sold out of them the night of your stay.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay, and please feel welcome to contact me if you are in Chicago again soon; whether for a concert at the United Center, or for any other reason.