“Decent hotel-A good nights sleep...a true gem if using points!”

Quality Inn Midway Airport
Ranked #141 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 18, 2009

After reading some negative reviews on here I was a little skeptical of this hotel, even though it was only SPG Category 1 (lowest rewards category), but I was pleasantly surprised!

For what I paid (7000 Starpoints for 3 nights) it was a true bargain, considering most hotels downtown require 10000-12000 points PER NIGHT, and I didnt even pay that much for all 3 nights!

Room 526, while a little small (although adequate for 1-2 people), was clean, and had a few unexpected features such as a flat-screen TV and even a decent bathrobe! The bathroom was also clean, and while a little on the small side and a bit oddly-shaped it was perfectly adequate. HVAC unit in room was surprisingly quiet. Free internet was decent, but the signal in my room was weak. Didn't try the restaurant, but room service prices seemed to be reasonable.

Service at the front desk was hit-or-miss. Some clerks were friendly, some were rather snippy.

Yes, it is a little out of the way, but they do have a free shuttle that takes you to Midway airport, and from there you can catch the 'L' to downtown, which didnt take all too long.

All in all, its not bad at all! I'd stay here again if I were using points...its worth it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2009

I was awakened at 3:30 AM with water leaking from the ceiling and dripping on me and the bed. Management staff was very unresponsive to the problem. The ceiling had several poor patch jobs and was peeling in other spots. I'd stay away from this hotel brand.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank 123-travel-too-much
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Solid clean hotel with great bed and really extraordinary service. Standard hi-quality hotel room at the airport w/free 24 hour shuttle, free wifi, free computer access in the lobby, GREAT beds, and some of the best service I've ever had in any hotel - the staff were ridiculously helpful & friendly. If you get a rate comparable to other hotels, definitely go here. I used Starwood points so don't have a sense of pricing, but the beds & service were really really good.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We selected this hotel based on rate and free parking. Cicero was not my 1st choice of town to stay in but this hotel is close to Midway airport and they have a shuttle. The hotel is a bit worn but the rooms are large, internet is free in room and there is a business center and workout room (neither of which we used.) We used the free internet from the room and had no problem connecting or with speed of connection. A/C in the room is a bit of pain as it's a wall unit that makes the room too cold and blows on you but we dealt with it. Amenities in bath were not fancy but adequate. The price we paid for this hotel was quite equitable especially since another major name brand down the street was double our price here.
The front desk staff was excellent, especially the day manager. We got an excellent suggestion for dinner from the evening staff, Louie's Chop House. We didn't try the food in the hotel. The area is not the best but it's not dangerous; it's on a busy road and well lit and convenient to shopping.
We found the bed too soft for us but the bedding was in excellent condition, as were bath linens. No fridge, but has a coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, which all worked fine.
The free shuttle service was nice to have as they give you a ride to bus or train and explain how it works and make recommendations on what type of ride pass you will need/want.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

On the positive side, the staff members were friendly and responsvie. The carpets had massive stains and were not well-vacuumed. The rooms were comfortable, but found pubic hair in the tub and in the soap dish next to the sink. Asked to change rooms, found pubic hair in that tub as well plus trash on top of the TV that I guess the maid did not or could not see. I remember when the name "Sheraton" meant something - not sure if that still holds true based on my latest experiences with this chain.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Larry G
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I will never in my life stay at this place again. I've stayed at much nicer looking , more courteous staff, and top of the line hotels that make this hotel look like DIRT!! It was definately not worth an almost $3,000.00 stay.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank unfairtreatment
Reviewed October 10, 2008

I was really pleased with this stay. We chose it due to points usage, so I didn't expect much since it is so far out of the city. The neighborhood it's in may be a little questionable but is pretty suburban; just seemed to be a lot of run down buildings within a mile range. The shuttle driver (I think his name was Jeff) was the sweetest man ever and he gave us a lot of city history on our travels back and forth to the Orange line. The hotel was pretty clean, decor was pretty standard. The carpet and a few other things were starting to show some age, but well kept in general. A new girl at the front desk was pretty incompetent and resulted in some long waits for pickups and some confusion about billing, but it was clear that she was in training (or soon to be fired!). All in all, my three night stay here was pretty acceptable, and better than I expected.

The only thing that is really frustrating is public transit. I guess I'm jaded from a recent stay in NYC, but the El just doesn't run to as many places, and from this specific hotel it's about a 3-5 minute shuttle ride. Getting there is fine, but waiting for pickups stinks. Also, depending on the shuttle schedule, time of day, etc, it can be up to a 45 minute ride average to the loop and possibly longer on the way back. We were in and out of the city a lot, and wasted a good part of the weekend on the El. If you plan on changing your clothes in the evenings, or want to make pit stops back at the hotel, you may wish to opt for something in the city. Had I known it would take so long I would've paid the extra money to stay closer.

One really cool thing about this location, however, is that it is within walking distance to a mall, Target, Best Buy, a drugstore, and some other really good places to get things you forgot or chose not to pack.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank spoothed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#140 of 191 in Chicago
Amber Inn
#166 of 191 in Chicago

Been to Quality Inn Midway Airport? Share your experiences!